[SOLVED] AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Issues

Smausage

Honorable
Jul 20, 2015
For the longest time I've been using an old GTX 970, and decided it was time to upgrade.
I saw an RX 6700 XT that I could afford a few days ago, and ordered it.

Now that it has gotten here, it's not performing like I was hoping it would.
For starters, I was getting slightly better framerates on my 970 (GTA V was the game I was using earlier to test on).
I feel like that really shouldn't be the case.

And for the larger of the two issues I'm having... the temperatures.
I played the game for maybe 6 or 7 minutes, the card got up to 95 C. That seems much much too hot.
And I cannot for the life of me find any information on the safe temperatures with this card.
For comparison, my 970 usually ran in the high 50's to low 60's, though to be fair it was watercooled while the 6700 isn't.

Basically my questions are
-Why would it be performing worse than my 6-year-old GTX 970
-How worried should I be about those temperatures

Solution
download the latest drivers
download DDU
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
uninstall all video drivers, amd and nvidia
reboot into safe mode
run ddu
remove all video drivers and all associated files
reboot
install the latest amd drivers
reboot
test
Even with bad airflow I am quite sure you'll see a substantial difference in temps
if not are you still using the psu from when you got the gtx970?
Poor power delivery could be an issue

Smausage

Honorable
Jul 20, 2015
Intel i7-9700K
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
16 GB RAM

I am realizing now that the airflow is probably pretty garbage--the only case fan I have is tucked behind the honkin' cooler I've got on my CPU.
Didn't need anything more than that before 'cause my old card had watercooling.
Might try removing the side of the case for the time being, see if that makes any difference.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Intel i7-9700K
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
16 GB RAM

I am realizing now that the airflow is probably pretty garbage--the only case fan I have is tucked behind the honkin' cooler I've got on my CPU.
Might try removing the side of the case for the time being, see if that makes any difference.
Pleaae specify your full specs

download DDU
reboot into safe mode
run ddu
reboot
reboot
test
Even with bad airflow I am quite sure you'll see a substantial difference in temps

Reactions: Smausage
Solution

Smausage

Honorable
Jul 20, 2015
download DDU
reboot into safe mode
run ddu
reboot
reboot
test
Not at the house right now, but I'll do that when I get back and edit this message with results.

Edit: Went through all the steps you mentioned, temps showing around 75 C for Gpu Core, and 85 C for Gpu Hot Spot.
I honestly have no clue what 'hot spot' means, I'm guessing that the 75 is probably the Tcase temp, and the 85 Tjunction temp? Never had an AMD card before.
Definitely a marked improvement, still a bit warmer than I'd like, but it's doing better there.

And I don't remember the brand PSU I'm using, but it's 750 watt, so I think it should be enough.

Last edited:

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Intel i7-9700K
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
16 GB RAM

Air flow really matters, for eg mine has a 1650 Super, its a weak card than the 6800XT, but the gaming temperature does 71deg, i have three intake fans and 1 rear.
and vents in the top. So point is ventilation matters, And reinstall the drivers. Try to change the cabinet if you can. you will definitely will feel the difference.

Reactions: Smausage

Smausage

Honorable
Jul 20, 2015
Air flow really matters, for eg mine has a 1650 Super, its a weak card than the 6800XT, but the gaming temperature does 71deg, i have three intake fans and 1 rear.
and vents in the top. So point is ventilation matters, And reinstall the drivers. Try to change the cabinet if you can. you will definitely will feel the difference.
Yeah, I need to go and get a few more fans. Used to have a whole stockpile of them lying around, but I moved recently and didn't take them with.
I had decent airflow with the 970, a fan on the back taking cool air in, and the fan from the GPU blowing air out.
Spot where the GPU fan was is just empty now, though.

Reactions: coolraveen