News AMD Radeon RX 6800 Series Unboxed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
The USB-C port features DisplayPort alternate mode, so just like with any of Nvidia's 20-series cards that included a VirtualLink port, you should be able to connect it to a DisplayPort monitor using an adapter or adapter cable. Not wanting to doesn't change the fact that it's another video port capable of outputting a DisplayPort signal.

Nvidia card had 4 total ports PLUS USBC

AMD is giving us 3 Plus USBC

and I did not say USBC is not capable of not giving signals , I said Less DP and USBC is not a DP , it needs adapter .

A vapor chamber and a heat pipe are basically the same thing. It may not be in the shape of a pipe, but both work the same way, using a liquid that changes phase to a gas and condenses elsewhere, carrying heat to another location. Going with a large vapor chamber tends to be a more expensive but better-performing solution than running a handful of pipes across a card, and it should allow heat to spread across the fins more evenly. Nvidia's 2080 and 2080 Ti similarly featured a reference cooler with "no heat pipes" or rather, a large vapor chamber taking the place of individual heat pipes to cool more effectively.

Again , you said there are heat pipes , andyou were wrong. this was my main post . all what you are saying is not the subject. and Vapor chambers are not the same of heat pipes. you are mistaken. heap pipes are more efficient.

A server cooling system built with redundancy in mind and an AIO in a desktop PC are a bit different. A server farm has hardware on hand to replace a failed component quickly, so if a pump fails they can have it replaced right away. A home system could potentially be shut down for days or weeks waiting for replacement hardware to arrive. Again, I wasn't saying that it's "unreliable", just that having a cooling system be dependent on a pump adds additional points of potential failure. And again, increased cost is probably the main reason they avoided it, since adding a couple hundred dollars to the cost of a card tends to make for kind of a niche product, especially now that their reference air cooler appears to be much improved.

sorry but AMD AIO in the frontier cards are professional grade for Workstations and as I said you dont know better than AMD R&D releasing them . cost ? I know AMD went cheap on this Gen , even gamernexus said it is a very cheap cooler used.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
Nvidia card had 4 total ports PLUS USBC
And now they got rid of it and only offer 4 video ports, where they had five before. The USB-C port included on these cards is a full-fledged video port like the others.

Again , you said there are heat pipes , andyou were wrong. this was my main post . all what you are saying is not the subject. and Vapor chambers are not the same of heat pipes. you are mistaken. heap pipes are more efficient.
Vapor chambers tend to cost more but provide greater heat spreading capacity. The only real advantages tubular heat pipes have is lower cost and additional flexibility in terms of cooling fin placement. From the standpoint of how they work and what they do, they are two forms of the same thing.

sorry but AMD AIO in the frontier cards are professional grade for Workstations and as I said you dont know better than AMD R&D releasing them . cost ? I know AMD went cheap on this Gen , even gamernexus said it is a very cheap cooler used.
The cooler is not a cheap design as far as reference coolers typically go. An AIO might technically allow for additional cooling capacity, but they charged hundreds of dollars more for that option in the past.

As for AMD's R&D department, it seems they decided their new air cooler was improved enough to where the liquid option was less needed. When AMD launched those liquid cooler models in the past, they were still using blower style coolers that ran hot and loud for the standard models. Compared to those past reference air coolers, these new triple-fan designs are a huge improvement for most usage scenarios, and have been positively received in all reviews I've seen, being generally described as both quiet and effective.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Vapor chambers tend to cost more but provide greater heat spreading capacity. The only real advantages tubular heat pipes have is lower cost and additional flexibility in terms of cooling fin placement. From the standpoint of how they work and what they do, they are two forms of the same thing.

Nope . Heat pipes are more expensive to make . using 2 heat pipes is not like using 4 or 6 or 8 and the larger the diameter the more expensive they are , the length of each pipe counts as well ... and are more effective because they move the heat away from the heat object out of direct contact into open air . Vapor chambers dont , they just spread the heat not move it away.

As for AMD's R&D department, it seems they decided their new air cooler was improved enough to where the liquid option was less needed. When AMD launched those liquid cooler models in the past, they were still using blower style coolers that ran hot and loud for the standard models. Compared to those past reference air coolers, these new triple-fan designs are a huge improvement for most usage scenarios, and have been positively received in all reviews I've seen, being generally described as both quiet and effective.

not really , they decided to go cheaper.

Last edited:

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
according to this site : https://celsiainc.com/heat-sink-blog/vapor-chamber-vs-heat-pipe/ " method of manufacturing vapor chambers is inherently more costly than the heat pipe method of production " seems vaper chambers cost more then heatpipes.

This article is lacking ... not scientific. this is not the right way to determine which is more expensive without giving more details , Like surface used per mm^2 , number of heat pipes , and the diameter of each heat pipe , and the metal used in the heat pipe.

The Vaporchamber used in the AMD ones are very simple ones by the way and the cheapest.

This article is lacking ... not scientific. this is not the right way to determine which is more expensive without giving more details , Like surface used per mm^2 , number of heat pipes , and the diameter of each heat pipe , and the metal used in the heat pipe.
That's a company that manufactures heat sinks with vapor chambers and heat pipes, so I would imagine they know what they are talking about. : P They have some other articles that provide more details too...

The Vaporchamber used in the AMD ones are very simple ones by the way and the cheapest.
According to the information there, the type AMD used appears to be the more expensive "traditional 2-piece design", since it's not just a simple rectangle, but has some cutouts, and appears to have been welded together out of two plates at the edges.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
That's a company that manufactures heat sinks with vapor chambers and heat pipes, so I would imagine they know what they are talking about. : P They have some other articles that provide more details too...

First ,

My main point was about Nvidia cooler is much more expensive than AMD cooler . and it is true .

Nvidia is using Both VaporChamber AND Four Long large heatpipes and expensive designed air flow optimized fins.

Second :

Without detailed information you cant compare two products prices just from their names. as I said , the surface Area and number of heat pipes , number of fins,, and number of joints on fins , and material used for heat pipes .. and the size of the heat pipes , the Length of the heatpipes.

true compared to cheap one or two short heatpipes coolers , Vapor chamber is more expensive . but not allways.

BUT IN ANYWAYS :

in our case here Nvidia 4 large diameter long heat pipe with the fins design is more expensive than what AMD is offering. PLUS Nvida also adds vaporchamber to the MIX .