News AMD Radeon RX 7900M Arrives in Alienware m18 Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazyy8

Proper
Sep 22, 2023
I love seeing these new technologies is laptops, but you have to wonder how hot your lap has to be before companies realize laptops sit on your lap and decide to cool their laptops.

sailorjeff

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
I think these ultra powerful laptops can rarely run at their maximum potential due to the heat load. I have a two year old Alienware M17 that i take when we go camping. It puts out so much heat that it can keep a 24 foot travel trailer warm in near freezing conditions if I am gaming. My next laptop will have lower specs so that it can run at it rated speeds without contributing to global warming.........

Brian D Smith

Commendable
Mar 13, 2022
No one really puts their laptop on their 'lap'...and these are really 'desktop replacements' anyway.

Sounds really quite good. I checked a Alienware 18 inch at a store and was surprized there were only 2 circular vents (small!) underneath. Surely they are going to put more vents on the bottom for this??

So they're going with the full Navi32 die for the 7900M (which is a 7800XT in mobile flavour, kind of). That's actually nice. EDIT: I was wrong, as this is Navi31, but a cut down version to 72CUs it seems, so more like a 7900GRE, but probaby a tad slower, which seems interesting enough!

My 6800M (Navi22; 6700XT mobile) is amazing, so it makes me happy to see there is a higher end variant for mobile.

Come on AMD, bring them to more models!

Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

P1nky

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I love seeing these new technologies is laptops, but you have to wonder how hot your lap has to be before companies realize laptops sit on your lap and decide to cool their laptops.
What are you even talking about??! Who uses gaming laptops, in this case a desktop replacement, in their laps?! 🤦‍♂️

It's like you're complaining Ferrari doesn't make cars that can be used to go grocery shopping.

Crazyy8

Proper
Sep 22, 2023
What are you even talking about??! Who uses gaming laptops, in this case a desktop replacement, in their laps?! 🤦‍♂️

It's like you're complaining Ferrari doesn't make cars that can be used to go grocery shopping.
Correction: It's like you're complaining Ferrari doesn't make cars with a fuel tank large enough to go past the show floor.
And this counts even if you have your laptop on a desk. That laptop is still going to get very hot and have a short lifespan compared to a properly cooled laptop or desktop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.