Question AMD Radeon Software

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
As I am working today on the R5 2500u based laptop in Win 10, small semi transparent screen pops up out of nowhere. AMD Radeon Software just randomly installs. It was a chipset, graphics, apparently some PCI-e update, and a gaming companion thing.

I didn't ask it to install these. I was not on a website that would have had them as something that could have accidentally been clicked. It didn't have a Windows update. I already had the Chipset and Graphics driver manually installed without the whole software package/companion that I didn't want.

I had an A8 years ago that used to randomly do this as well. I cannot recall what I did to have it stop doing this on it's own. There was never any question about stopping, cancelling, aborting, etc. within UAC.

Am I to assume there was some super critical update pushed today that magically didn't need notification before running an update installer package?
What do I need to turn off or click to disable this?

Windows will install drivers automatically independently of updates in some cases.

The only solution is to disable the auto driver download function on windows which I would NEVER reccomend, because then if you plug in a new device or something, it will not work.

Why would you not want this to be installed? The driver from AMD always comes with this since it is essentially the graphics control panel.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The "installer" for this program continually pops up. Two to three times in an 8 hour workday. It will literally install the exact SAME software that it had the previous couple of hours. Tried four times Friday.
I have gone in and turned off every single slider, settings, auto updating, every thing I can turn off for it to auto update.
If I uninstall it Windows just re-installs it again.

I am just about to the point of a registry hack to block it.

What am I missing? What triggers it to want to install when it's already up to date?