AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

You're forgetting where the blower fan goes. It needs to be upwind of the GPU and VRM. I don't see the problem with mounting it on the PCB, BTW.

Even in the case of after-market cards with down-draft fans, you're going to need enough space 2-3 big ones to blow through enough heatsink fins to dissipate all that TDP. Although, you could at least truncate the PCB. in that case.

As for water cooling, then you're right. They could do something like Fury Nano.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Note that unless Inventor has been radically rewritten in recent years, the best optimisation you can do for that is to use it on a platform with the highest possible clock (2700K at the budget end, 7700K at the upper end, etc.) Inventor was not optimised for multicore, and the last time I read something about this a few months ago someone said this was still the case. Beyond that, GPU-wise, I guess whatever you can afford.

Not for a workstation card it isn't. Talk to someone doing GIS, medical, etc., they'd happily have 10x that much if they could, hence why the SSG is such a nice idea, great for defense imaging and suchlike. Often wondered what could sensibly replace the Group Station, looks like SSG is the answer.

Ian.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

Most games these days have a use what you give 'em strategy so some numbers won't always matter. Generally here's what I've seen with my TI and 1080's. Game settings can have a lot to do with Vram usage as well but for many by the time you crank it all up the clocks become an issue.

1080p gaming averages 2 to 4+ GB

1440p gaming averages 3 to 6+ GB

4k gaming averages 6 to 9+ GB, MEA and ROTTR love to consume VRAM but most games hang around the 6-8 range.

The 16GB this has is totally aimed at video/3d rendering. In a heavy-load workstation environment it can be totally consumed.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Just for interest:
I get this or next week two different waterblocks for the Vega (FE). One real good AiO and one normal block as feed for my chiller. If I find the time, I will write a short follow-up with better cooling. And - if we have even more time - also for the P6000 and a water cooler mod. It sounds interesting to see the battle of two better cooled cards. :)

mapesdhs

Distinguished

I gobbled up way more than 3GB just with Crysis by using mega custom settings. :D Very long draw distance for objects, huge shadow map, etc.

If you want to see VRAM munching, checkout the OCN "best Skyrim pics" thread. :D

Ian.

PS. ledhead, just sent you a PM!

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

The watercooled version is $1500, so even if it did bring Vega FE closer to the roughly $515 1080, it would be an even less flattering comparison.

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

Wow- this is a textbook example of wishful thinking, although there is one (unintentional) grain of truth in your post: AMD has yet again released an unfinished product, with the assurance that it will age like fine wine. Uh-huh.

A few optimizations and better cooling aren't going to transform a card that currently ranks between the 1070 and 1080 in DOOM / Vulkan -AMD's supposed ace in the hole- into a contender. The liquid cooled version of the top RX Vega has been officially announced at $699- so even if it matches the $515, 15-month-old 1080, that's still a failure. And this "substantial savings" you mentioned- savings compared to what?

Vega will not be in the 1080 Ti's league, no matter what tweaks are made. Period. AMD has already stated this. So their advice? Wait, of course! Wait for Navi, and never mind that Volta will be out by then.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

Totally right about mod's. I actually forgot about that because I've been doing so much testing with just the base installs on games lately but I do remember my pre-SE Skyrim days. Also tinkered with some WItcher 3 mods. Never did Crysis mods since the game was so demanding to begin with.

A few months back I also jumped through many hoops to get the first Crysis running in 64bit so it would use both the larger system ram and Vram for 1440p/4k. Overall it was cool but not totally stable.

Been playing, testing Crysis 3 again(for like the 100th time) and it still can be demanding for either of my rigs in 1440p or 4k.

footman

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
Assuming the miners dont buy up all of the Vega stock on day one I have plans to buy a Vega 64 stock version and swap out the air cooler for an EK waterblock, however I am frustrated to hear that this card suffers from some coil whine, that will be more noticeable when the HSF is removed and replaced with a silent waterblock! Perhaps I need to wait for AIB to build their own Vega 64 PCB's....

sehafoc

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I liked this review, and pretty much all of your reviews, but the one thing that has me questioning this review is the choice of DX11 titles...

It seems like you're specifically thumbing the scales by choosing a title that specifically uses gameworks, specifically under MAX settings.

Why not include a Mantle title and same welp nVidia doesn't work with it so AMD does better (I realize that since Mantle was at least open and the basis for Vulcan that doesn't really make sense, but I hope you're understanding the point I'm making)?

Or better yet, if you're only selecting limited games how about choosing titles that aren't so contentious.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...well the only major advantage I see is more VRAM for GPU rendering. Nvidia has pretty much capped their prosumer cards at a maximum of 12 GB (Titan Xp) so they don't overshadow their expensive top end Quadro line in this department.

The one big disappointment for myself is I work with CUDA based render engines (primarily Iray) and would love 16 GB as that would handle probably 99% of the scenes I create (the 1070 maybe 75%m 1080 Ti about 85 - 90% and about to dump an extra 500$ - 600$ on a Titian XP to for just one more GB of VRAM). Pity, as to get the same amount of VRAM I would have to shell out an additional 1,500$ for a Quadro P5000.

Actually a better performance comparison for the Radeon Frontier would be Nvidia's ghastly priced (6,300$ - 7,000$ depending on vendor) Quadro GP100 as it also has 16 GB of HBM2 and similar FP16/32 floating point performance.

True the more cores/threads the better the render times, but if the file exceeds the available VRAM the process either crashes or, in the case of Iray, dumps to the CPU, and it all becomes moot.

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

Thumbing the scales? They only tested three games in total, one of which was DX12 and then DOOM (Vulkan)- AMD's supposed bread and butter. If Vega FE had a shot at being a contender, surely DOOM or a DX12 title was its chance. The review is more than balanced, whether you like the results or not.

There are only 12 games out that use Mantle, so that would be a very misleading representation of the card's overall performance when 99.9% of all titles do not use Mantle or DX12. I'm sure they pick games based on popularity, not API, because that would definitely be biased toward AMD.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I wonder if Vega's cache-oriented approach to GPU memory will avoid the sort of hard limits you mention.

IMO, definitely worth looking into, before buying your next GPU for rendering work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS