AMD Radeon Vega RX 64 8GB Review

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jarfin

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
its crystal clear that gtx 1070 and gtx 1080 is much beter choice for gaming.

also i wonder,where is gtx 1080 11GB version? tis even clear winner.

gtx 1080 ti is pure king and not reason even put it this test.

vega 56 and 64 gpuäs has 2 bad things,they cant beat even 2 years old, i repeat 2 years old nvidia gpus,even that amd has same time to planning,building and testing it and also must remembe vega is brand new 14nm gpu.

stil it loose clear for nvidia top 5 gpu's.

vega bigges negative thing its huge power eat,and bcoz that it cant be even 'recomemnded buy'
its just too much ofr new gpu,still it loose nvida gpu's its un for giving.

amd has aces but cant do anything new, vea gpu's are like fury x with 14nm tech,hmm,withiut that vega 56 and 64 eat een more juice,so engineer side nothing happen.
bad and lausy work amd. shame even offer thouse these days.

also they are expensive,bcos amd showing early that they cant fight against gtx 1000 series,again like fury case,amd drop price...hmm

gtx 1000 series price drop any day and more when Nvidia Volta release.

even if Volta release Q1/2018 its not big thing,Nvidia Pascal gtx 1000 series is clear best gaming gpu.

why amd make and even offer ppl that kind product...erhh they have all of time build good gpu,but wht they offer that huge hypeting and commercial.... average bad effiency old tech gpu's

liquid version of vega should banned. over 515W is absolutly penalty case, and not support anyway.

hmm buy zotac gtx 1080 amp extreme+ gpu and all vegas goes knee.

best gaming gpu with effiency,price and speed is clear gtx 1070 oc gpu.

shame amd!

nxstrikerxn

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
People who are disappointed with Vega RX remember the budget and money AMD have to put into this development versus NVDA budget, AMD was on the verge of BK and now they are coming back wining CPU side but rolling the ball on the GPU side give them time to progress as they make a comeback to CPU AND GPU high end products.

And do you have an insight on how the money was spent on each side? How is that relevant to the end consumer of 2 big international corporations? They are not your local store in town, so I don't see why anyone should have "sympathy" to either of them.

So, all of that to say that I am sorry to disagree with you.

Cheers!

InvalidError

Titan

AMD is the only thing standing between us and having to pay ludicrous prices for Nvidia and Intel chips. I'd say that is reason enough for Nvidia and Intel fans to cheer for AMD and be disappointed when AMD under-delivers.

Weak sauce. We are already subject to that and even though AMD is the only "bastion of hope" (I do concede that point), it does not mean we are not allowed to be disappointed and/or angry at their failures. Being an "AMD camper" or "nVidia camper" or "Intel camper" has little to do with it. Blinded fanbois are not something we should care nor waste time on. I did not mix those topics in my reply, nor gave a hint around them either.

Also, how does that relate to money spent on R&D? Do you have an insight on that? Do you feel empathy to AMDs situation that would allow you to give them a pass with Vega's current blunder status?

Don't disagree just because you can, please.

Cheers!

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

OK, but does this mean you should buy AMD just for the sake of supporting the underdog? If that's the case, that you're buying AMD just to support them rather than that they have a superior or competitive product, then you're already paying more than you should for said product. Which is the very thing you're supposedly trying to prevent.

Also, if AMD were to actually go under, I feel like Intel and/or Nvidia may run into trouble with antitrust laws.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Amd won't go under. Worst case scenario, they'd cut ATI free and sell it off. Cpus are doing too well and with the deals they have with Sony and Lenovo and others, they are pretty much set there. I find it a little odd that whenever amd runs into financial difficulties, coin mining rears its ugly head, and suddenly everyone seems to want amd gpus. I also find it a little confusing that when amd changed up its power delivery in pcie 2.2, the gpus that really were superior back then to nvidias best, have been nothing but 2nd place performers, with first place in the power hog division. I'm thinking that this seemingly unorthodox shift with the FP16 emphasis might be AMD trying to head back in the direction it used to be in, better, and hoping that the game devs, app devs, cad devs etc catch on and run with it.
Honestly, I'd love for amd to stick it to the competition for a change, but I don't see that happening until power requirements drop drastically and you can run a rx580 equivalent on a gtx1050ti power draw.

InvalidError

Titan

Antitrust laws do not prohibit companies from achieving monopoly via fair and square means. Unless Intel has been involved in shady market practices regarding AMD since its last settlement, the only thing the DoJ can do is set limits on how much Intel can abuse its market position.

As for buying from the underdog, I buy whatever delivers the best overall bang-per-buck for what I need it for. If my PC exploded tonight and I needed a new PC tomorrow, I'd get an R5-1600 since productivity is a higher priority than gaming to me and I do quite a bit of multi-tasking even while gaming.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The thing I find disheartening is that they're doing all the right things with respect to support of open standards and open source, and have been for a long time.

Even when AMD had technically superior products (thinking back to the launch of GCN and their HD 7000-series products), they still lagged in the cloud and HPC markets. I think Nvidia just played a better game. At the time, I was mystified why so many people and organizations would readily embrace vendor lock-in, in the form of CUDA.

BTW, another thing Nvidia did better was to embrace AI early and make sure all the popular deep learning frameworks had good performance on their hardware. Even when AMD had an advantage with Fury, it took them until after the launch of the technically-superior P100 to finally deliver Fury-based products targeted for that market.

riz_76

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

You do have a strong point, however I grew up on FPS(shooters) mostly. I got a notebook with 1070 in it & it does push tons of frames at 1080p, but screen tearing is still an issue. People who'd buy Vega aren't buying an entry range graphics card. And at that budget, the whole setup mostly falls into enthusiast category. So, adaptive sync is quite relevant in my opinion.

It's a tough position to be in. On the one hand you need gamer's willing to fork over ~$600 for a GPU. On the other hand, you need them to be unwilling to pay ~$200 for G-Sync. Or ~$700 for a 1080 ti. Your target audience has to be simultaneously extravagant and frugal(-ish.)

Agente Silva

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
This is a tremendous disapointment for most consumers (gamers). With HBM everyone expected a huge leap in performance. The power consumption alone kills any advantage this card could offer on the Freesync department. If you have a 650W it will not be enough... If you have a slightly oc´ed CPU and if you plan to oc Vega even a 750W won´t be enough. A 850W 80+ rated is priced at least for 100$, so you will be paying 200$ more for a GPU that won´t outperform a 1080.

You got to be over the top stupid to buy Vega.

Status
Not open for further replies.