AMD Ready To Fight in 2012, Says CEO

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

verbalizer

Distinguished

spell-check included.
and your post isn't really worth my time to comment back.
I just shake my head and move on.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Ready to fight... so are they going to develop and release a new architecture in one year? Because Bulldozer is on the fast track to nowhere.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Tavo_Nova[/nom]ahahahaha maybe they should make a new processor with 48 true cores and at 25.50Ghz speed lol with a nice idle temp of 10c and a 38c when loaded[/citation]
hahaha look at your GPU !

G

[citation][nom]sarcasm[/nom]That's why my original post is that I recommend the Phenom II X4 over the i3 line because its a more balanced chip. In gaming, it's a toss up between the two, but overall content creativity and general uses, the Phenom II is a much better buy. There's only a $10 price difference between the i3-2100 and Phenom II X4 970.[/citation]

ahhh it looks like a $45 difference
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i3-2100-Processor-3-1GHz-LGA1155/dp/B004JEVGMO
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Processor-Black-HDZ970FBGMBOX/dp/B0042LBBQ0

then the price performance
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-2100+%40+3.10GHz
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+970

if you also consider the power consumption, 65W vs 125W, there is an additional savings.

i just spent three days researching for a budget system, i was very open minded on what platform to get for my usage; gaming, office apps, unraring and video encoding. i just couldn't find an amd cpu/mobo combination that gave a significant increase in all around performance over sandy bridge.

so i ended up getting an i3-2120 and P8H67 with 550ti ( i went to a brick and mortar store which didn't have any 6770s ) running a multi-monitor set up, i still can use quick sync for encoding :)

btw, those benchies running handbrake and such had quick sync disabled, huh?

and really a quad core running at 400Mhz faster should beat the p*ss outta a dual core :(

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]e56imfg[/nom]I wish AMD would come back to the main CPU market[/citation]

Looking at their new roadmap, this is unlikely to happen sooner than 2014.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
The business world these days seems all about making a profit, not about making good products. In my opinion, this is backwards. If AMD makes a good product, the profit will come.

Also, it seems that AMD now wants to play in an area where the competition is not too fierce. It seems that this is also "current business thinking" in today's world. Unfortunately, I think both these things are driving AMD, and other companies who implement similar currently accepted business practices, into the ground.

My point is that AMD seems to be run by business geeks only interested in making a profit with a slew of niche products. In my opinion, AMD is being driven down by this tack. The sooner they realize that superior products will bring profit, the better IMHO. However, it sounds like that is not going to happen, and perhaps because they are taking the BD hit too seriously.

BD V2 is on the slate for this year, however, unless they unchain the engineering team and empower they to make a great product, I am not holding out much hope. At least they presently have a great graphics product; I'll hope that it will hold them through and that they will eventually realize that making great products is the way to make a profit. Make an $800 CPU worth that money, and I would consider buying it.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Sorry AMD... I don't care anymore. Stick with the low-end, and you'll be fine... the FX chips are way over-priced and are a slight upgrade to some PII-X4 chips. Hope you fired the engineers who decided that going net-burst and faking your cores were the way to go.

Your X8 core chips are STILL 4 CORE. Proof is when your OLD X4 core Chips is faster than your new "8 core" chips that costs $150 more!?! When you bring out a NEW and IMPROVED product, it cannot - in anyway, be slower than your previous product. The FX/BD chip... sometimes hangs with the i5-2500, but most of the time its not even close... and about 25% of the time, its slower than a PII-X4.

That means its a crappy product that NOBODY can say for certain "its a faster chip than XYZ". You made a chip that is about 2 years late that EATS more power and creates more HEAT than the competition and worse... it COSTS MORE?!

Just checked Newegg: FX8150 = $270 vs I5 2500K = $230 (Locally its $180 - go figure, and $150 for the i5-2400) Only an idiot or someone who likes to run their PC at 4~5Ghz would build a new high-end system with an FX chip.

And in the next few months, the replacement of Sandy Bridge hits the market... pulling further from BD. This means, the FX8150 should be a $125 CPU... at the very most. Then YOU are competitive... for now and if you did that today.

The A-series of CPUs are a good value for the low-end, but are becoming too-over-priced as the i5's come down in price. I'd take a 4 core A-chip over an i3 or lower for a budget system. Calling Unlocked AMD-A 8X "K" chips is lame and shows complete lack of originality or talent on part of your company. Anyone WHO knows what an intel K chip is, will already KNOW that nothing in AMD's inventory cannot and will not compete in performance.

AMD motherboard chipsets is still among the best. Reliable, feature-rich. But the odd-ball thing is that the low-end A-CPUs get the more advanced chipset with native USB 3.0, while you have nothing for the FX chips. And of course these are not pin-compatible.

From what I know... a new socket is coming out that will handle the new versions of the A and FX chips. Which is needed as you lock people into two dying socket platforms. But SERIOUSLY, when you came out with Socket FM1, it should have ALREADY be more advanced and ready for bulldozer. Therefore not screwing your customers. And of course have 1-2 Socket AM3 BD chips for upgrades. This is what you have done in the past. Like making the new AM2 CPU line, but toss a few AM1 compatible CPUs for upgrading.

AMD... I don't think you'll do anything other than punch yourself in the face, again.

PS: At least you guys are doing good with the graphics division.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]fazers_on_stun[/nom]If AMD had waited maybe 6 months to buy ATI, they probably could have picked them up for half of the $5.4 billion they paid (more like $5.9 Bn after all the ancillary fees added in). Then of course they had the Barcelona fiasco which cost them a ton of money & prestige, due to insisting on 'native' quad-core vs. Intel's MCM approach (which BTW AMD no longer has a problem with - look at their server CPUs).All that caused them to sell their fabs, and now look at them - having to rely on GloFlo's bad yields and poor execution on 32nm, causing delays in Llano and then Bulldozer.IMO, AMD's problems are mostly a result of p!ss-poor management decisions by Hector Ruiz, who incidentally nearly killed Motorola before he came to AMD. So he's almost 2 for 2 as company-killing CEO..Thanks, Hector![/citation]

The irony he's like an NBA coach or NFL coach that never wins, but keeps still getting a job. Hector did a good job bringing AMD from the rear, but he's terrible at being a lead horse.

It is definitely a result of piss poor management, and now it continues with this we concede the CPU market. Why is it so hard to find a CEO with no guts no glory attitude. Willing to punch Intel in the face it that's what it takes to win. I understand that AMD can't take on Intel in terms R&D but Intel creates many more products than just CPU's , AMD is a CPU factory, they should be able to atleast match Intel in that department. I could understand solely focused on CPU's but they don't.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
It is a shame they have forgotten where they had came from. Many people have bought their cpus in the past as they were cheap and effective. Now they seem to be trying to jump ship and sink their old one. >_< Yes mobile type devices are popular. As a lot of people wanted a pc they could use on the go. With the newer mobile phones plus the tablets and laptops that is a decent alternative. With amd going for mainly mobile type devices i worry for the future of desk top pcs. If amd bows out completely intel will stagnate (they did it before not creating as much or as often and held their prices high) which will just drive up the prices and lower the quality of desk tops. If they continue this path i see desk tops becoming obsolete. I mean would you buy an expensive under powered desk top over a cheaper more powerful laptop? Amd may think they are doing whats best for them but they are also forgetting the customers that brought them to where they are now. So no its not good news to me. I see amd is following segas old business plan. And we all saw what happened to them with the saturn and the dreamcast. >_

peevee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
"We don't want to be on the bleeding edge of technology"

That says it all. In high-tech, if you are not on the leading edge, you die. Another great company brought down by incompetent managers.

peevee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]sarcasm[/nom]Uhhh.... i3-2100 vs 970BE.... 3DS Max 2010, Photoshop CS5, After Effects CS5, Blender, Cinebench, ABBYY Fine Reader, 7 Zip, Main Concept, Handbrake, etc. all show the 970BE beat the i3-2100 by a considerable margin. [/citation]

And who buys $300 PC to run $5,000 software? Really?

tbouncert

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
bulldozer will shine once win8 is out. amd tends to make things for the future in mind rather than the present. so you'll see, i am calling it right now that bulldozer will be top dog when win8 is released.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
AMD is just admitting that it's time to stick a fork in its desktop division. It is done. Bulldozer was total fail and unless they start over from scratch they are done. The probably don't have the money or willpower to start over from scratch. So the mid to high end PC division is DONE. I am actually worried about them when they turn out Trinity. It will probably be crap too.

wardoc22

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
You guys seems to have forgotten what does the word "shit" or sucks means.

Sure amd processors are slower to intel but to go as far as saying they are shit?

The right time to call something "shit" is when the difference is so far between one and another. Like comparing an hd 3200 to like the gtx 590. Between AMD and INTEL, its like comparing a cheetah to a leopard.

well seeing how bad the E series and BD chips are "***" is the proper word to use

wardoc22

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011

Nope they arent *** at all. Just slower than their intel counterparts.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Well, I agree that when he tells is not an AMD vs intel fight, is understood as leaving intel dominate desktop. Bull Dozer has to do with architecture, it will set the foundation for future improvements (likely AMD wanted a better chip, but this is what they got...). Why having a FPU at all in your chip ? (we are dealing with APUs... with a GPU...). This integration to a real SoC should pay off some performance improvements, but also platform power use, down to mobile. At the time AMD can fight the console market... It is really soon to bury AMD, because it retains enough "know how" to find new markets... but we all know of bigger falls...

[citation][nom]tbouncert[/nom]bulldozer will shine once win8 is out. amd tends to make things for the future in mind rather than the present. so you'll see, i am calling it right now that bulldozer will be top dog when win8 is released.[/citation]

I doubt it - look at the article on the Win7 scheduler patches for Bulldozer - 1-2% improvement? And previously an article on a beta Win8 - only showed maybe 5% improvement. BD needs a lot more than that, plus there are cache issues, power-usage issues, and finally -- the 800 million missing transistors issue :p.

verbalizer

Distinguished

what are you smoking.?

right on 'fazers'..

9_breaker

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
[citation][nom]tbouncert[/nom]bulldozer will shine once win8 is out. amd tends to make things for the future in mind rather than the present. so you'll see, i am calling it right now that bulldozer will be top dog when win8 is released.[/citation]

by that time vishera will be out . you'll also have to pay another $100 to get windows 8.

triny

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
The high market is too small to worry about AMD is about to start a new era of computing ,using heterogeneous computing.
They plan by 2014 to have a desktop APUwith 7950 IGP paired with a hd 7970 dual x conn .
Cpu igp and discrete all computing at the same time.
those that want more than that there are a minority

triny

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Since the debut of 4cores no cpu is slow
off loading cpu workload to the GPU cores is the future
when gpu isn't computing video it will work on cpu work load
by 2014 amd chips will dominate

Status
Not open for further replies.