AMD Releases 6-Core Istanbul Ahead of Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
AMD claims the processor will produce 34 percent more performance than the existing "Shanghai" quad-core processor
Adding 33.3% more cores increases the performance by 34%? WOW!

I'm seriously wondering if they didn't just pull that number out of their asses based on the number of cores, or if they did any extensive testing.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Adding 33.3% more cores increases the performance by 34%? WOW!I'm seriously wondering if they didn't just pull that number out of their asses based on the number of cores, or if they did any extensive testing.[/citation]
i wonder if you did some extensive search on their claims or you just pulled your comment out of your ass ?

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Adding 33.3% more cores increases the performance by 34%? WOW!I'm seriously wondering if they didn't just pull that number out of their asses based on the number of cores, or if they did any extensive testing.[/citation]
Very good point. Both are 45nm, so how can they add 2 cores and keep the same TDP while adding more than the theoretical possible of 33.3% performance?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]i wonder if you did some extensive search on their claims or you just pulled your comment out of your ass ?[/citation]
What research? No one has their hands on this processor yet, other than AMD. And AMD hasn't gone into detail on how it achieved those numbers.

I said "I wonder" because I have no idea, simply the fact that they got that percentage is what I find curious. The scaling in performance is rarely that large when adding cores.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
wait and time will tell ;) maybe they left out the part where they changed a bit the core architecture, or against what they chose to compare performance since we all know the intel adds up to 85% more performance in multimedia(compared to what ??) buy intel now ... etc :) marketing stuff :)

armistitiu

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]What research? No one has their hands on this processor yet, other than AMD. And AMD hasn't gone into detail on how it achieved those numbers.I said "I wonder" because I have no idea, simply the fact that they got that percentage is what I find curious. The scaling in performance is rarely that large when adding cores.[/citation]
How about we all learn some math before we post. 2 more cores mean 50% more cores right?(50% * 4 =2) So the theoretical maximum performance gain is 50%.
It's 34% because not all applications use 6 threads.

mirkos

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Having a 4 core processor and udgrade it to 6-core is a 50% upgrade not 33%. So we have a boost of 50% more cores and 34% boost in performance. Correct me if I'' wrong! Nevertheless it seems to be a very good product that will press more the cost for the 4 core processor

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]armistitiu[/nom]How about we all learn some math before we post. 2 more cores mean 50% more cores right?(50% * 4 =2) So the theoretical maximum performance gain is 50%.It's 34% because not all applications use 6 threads.[/citation]
4 cores out of 6 means 66.6% so the 6 core CPU has 33.4% more power :)

TheMan1214

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]armistitiu[/nom]How about we all learn some math before we post. 2 more cores mean 50% more cores right?(50% * 4 =2) So the theoretical maximum performance gain is 50%.It's 34% because not all applications use 6 threads.[/citation]

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Crap, your right. Thanks for making us feel dumb.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]4 cores out of 6 means 66.6% so the 6 core CPU has 33.4% more power[/citation]
4 out of 6 cores is 66.7% represented as a fraction. Going from (keyword being increase) 4 to 6 cores is a 50% increase. We are comparing the gains of increasing core quantity from 4 to 6 cores here.

[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]lol... basic math eludes some.Gave me my morning laugh early today![/citation]

Dyslexia of the mind maybe?

These are also server chips, so they are geared for low power and maximum throughput when implemented within a network of similar hardware. The 34% is believable given what they run is capable of using these chips' full potential.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Matt_B[/nom]4 out of 6 cores is 66.7% represented as a fraction. Going from (keyword being increase) 4 to 6 cores is a 50% increase. We are comparing the gains of increasing core quantity from 4 to 6 cores here. Dyslexia of the mind maybe?These are also server chips, so they are geared for low power and maximum throughput when implemented within a network of similar hardware. The 34% is believable given what they run is capable of using these chips' full potential.[/citation]
i know but it`s funny how a simple thing can fuk up your mind and at some poing you don`t know which one is wich :D

G

I can't wait to show my friend all of what's been going on in the technology space. He's been away for almost 2 years serving a mission, and has no idea about i7, physics and gpgpus etc. I'm trying to think of how best to blow his mind :p

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
The Istanbuls have 6 cores.
6 was the number of main characters on the show Friends.
Friends had Matthew Perry as one of the characters.
Matthew Perry starred alongside Bruce Willis in 'The Whole Nine Yards'.
Bruce Willis starred in '12 Monkeys' with Brad Pitt.
Brad Pitt starred in 'Sleepers' with Kevin Bacon.

6 degrees to Kevin Bacon! HOOWAH!

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]4 cores out of 6 means 66.6% so the 6 core CPU has 33.4% more power[/citation]
You said 4 cores out of 6. This means the reference is the 6 cores.
So the 6 core has, according to your calculations 0% more power (the reference is itself).
I can't believe we are discussing this on THG.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]zodiacfml[/nom]you should not bother with any figure....performance depends on the software.[/citation]

100% agreed. Software is still lagging behind.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
now we are getting there AMD. This advanced release (pending it was THOROUGHLY TESTED) is a great way to take more of Intel's market. I personally wont be upgrading until the 16core 64 bit comes out, for a reasonable price. I switched back to Intel Duo Core a while back... because I need processing power and floating point calculations for 3D Rendering (yes at home).

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I love AMD and it's great to hear good news from the company.

But I'm wondering how long it will be until we see Istanbul II.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Doesn't Intel already have a 6-core server cpu?http://processorfinder.intel.com/d [...] Spec=SLG9PRegardless, good going AMD.[/citation]

The difference is its not for sale yet. ;3

Status
Not open for further replies.