AMD Releases Catalyst 12.9 Beta With Enduro Support

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i have the same card, and depending on the driver acdsee is usable or unuseably brokenin gameing they are great, outside of gameing, nvidia has a better track record i believe for not breaking everything.[/citation]

Outside of gaming, doesn't Nvidia also has a better track record of not supporting a lot of stuff outside of gaming that AMD now does, so that they have fewer problems is a given, especially since they had a what, four, five year head start if you count CUDA? AMD had OpenCL support first IIRC and has far better support for it as well as far better performance in it this generation. Leveraging OpenCL in many apps, AMD has probably got quite a few programs now that support it that used to be CPU-only programs and Nvidia can't keep up with AMD in that.

Also, I wouldn't say that Nvidia has a great track record of not breaking things. They've broken things too over the years. I haven't done a headcount comparison to see if they broke more or less, so I don't know if they're better or worse in this, but I doubt that if they have the advantage, it's by much.

EDIT: I didn't have problems with the 6770s that I've played around with and although I haven't used 5770s much, they're practically identical, so I wouldn't expect issues to be worse. In my experience, most *driver issues* are caused by other things that act like driver issues. For example, a power supply that isn't working properly, improperly updated drivers, and more.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]luciferano[/nom]Outside of gaming, doesn't Nvidia also has a better track record of not supporting a lot of stuff outside of gaming that AMD now does, so that they have fewer problems is a given, especially since they had a what, four, five year head start if you count CUDA? AMD had OpenCL support first IIRC and has far better support for it as well as far better performance in it this generation. Leveraging OpenCL in many apps, AMD has probably got quite a few programs now that support it that used to be CPU-only programs and Nvidia can't keep up with AMD in that.Also, I wouldn't say that Nvidia has a great track record of not breaking things. They've broken things too over the years. I haven't done a headcount comparison to see if they broke more or less, so I don't know if they're better or worse in this, but I doubt that if they have the advantage, it's by much.EDIT: I didn't have problems with the 6770s that I've played around with and although I haven't used 5770s much, they're practically identical, so I wouldn't expect issues to be worse. In my experience, most *driver issues* are caused by other things that act like driver issues. For example, a power supply that isn't working properly, improperly updated drivers, and more.[/citation]

i can give you most of that, however last nvidia card i had was a 6800 ultra, which upgraded to 5770

gameing i wanst doing crap on the 6800 for a long time, i may have booted up some old standbys from almost a decade ago but i wasnt playing new stuff.

outside of gameing, the card was fine.

now when i moved to a 5770 i noticed that every other driver was breaking acdsee arrow panning, and its a known problem with amd cards, something nvidia doesn't have.

and i do believe this is an application outside of cuda and opencl that still uses the gpu to some extent.

you want to go cuda/opencl, im unsure if opencl is properly implemented into a nvidia drivers yet, because open cl seems to exicute far faster than on nvidia, but we also see id cuda is there they are about the same performance wise. granted im going on memory from cl and cuda, so i may be wrong there.

G

It's funny how the driver is supposed to address switchable graphics-related issues while in the release notes it explicitly states that it's no compatible with switchable graphics. I can't say I expected anything different from AMD though.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]AnonymousForReal[/nom]It's funny how the driver is supposed to address switchable graphics-related issues while in the release notes it explicitly states that it's no compatible with switchable graphics. I can't say I expected anything different from AMD though.[/citation]

The article explicitly states that there is Enduro switchable graphics support, not that that means that it must be true. Unless someone with a relevant laptop posts screen shots of it working properly or not, I wouldn't judge it yet.

that post is just a waste of bandwidth. i have used many versions of nvidia drivers with many nvidia cards and never had glitches like these with them. but now i decided to get a chep ol 7770 to replace an ageing nvidia card and have many glitches that i have never experienced with video drivers in the past. i already had one driver update with them and yet the issues remain

post as many links as you want trashing nvidia but fact of the matter to me is these radeon drivers are some of the most unstable drivers i have ever used

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS