AMD Releases Catalyst 13.1 Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
"Releases" makes it sound like it's news; these drivers have been out for almost a week... How about changing the title to reflect that?
"AMD released Catalyst 13.1 drivers"

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Ya this isn't news when everyone already has them installed. And the title is bogus... at least Anandtech used the terminalology "available" and they released their article on the 18th. "Released" would at least make note the you are not in the present with this aritcle.

G

Trying to think of an excuse why news are coming between 2 and 10 days later on Tom's hardware than any other self-respecting site, First i was like "Ok maybe they check facts, editor needs to check the stuff" and so on, but lately i think they use pigeons for their news flashes.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Another sub par driver release! 13.1 is plagued with problems, and all this after what, 11 beta releases? AMD fails again. I am so happy I jumped ship a few months back. Reintroduction of bugs which were fixed recently; not recognizing systems (though previous beta are fine); major micro-stuttering; packing 32bit files into 64bit release and vice versa; etc. AMD definitely should not have laid off the good engineers and offloaded software development to junior staff.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom] TROLOLOLOL I WANT TO BE FLAMED[/citation]

My friend's desktop was bricked after he installed a driver update for the GTX 680. After undoing the damage, any registry cleaners we ran simply froze. Windows Update wouldn't work properly either.

In short, either your computer is messed up and needs a nice nuking and reinstall, or you'er just blatantly lying.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]My friend's desktop was bricked after he installed a driver update for the GTX 680. After undoing the damage, any registry cleaners we ran simply froze. Windows Update wouldn't work properly either.In short, either your computer is messed up and needs a nice nuking and reinstall, or you'er just blatantly lying.[/citation]
I never said anything about installing these, so what would I be lying about - I just read all the issues with these drivers because I was interested how they perform. But yes, I know, write a "negative" thing and it's an automatic "trololololol" - very astute...yeah...but anyways, hopefully all you people glowing over this driver will be kind enough to read up on all the negative comments by users (but yes I'm sure those are just trolls too), and also make the effort to come back and give your honest opinions instead of doing the cheer before you even install the driver.

Oh and I'm pretty sure you're the one either lying about your friend's computer, or your friend's computer was already standing on one leg to begin with... a lot more plausible than a driver bricking a whole system.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Late news is late. In fact, Techreport already ran a test determine if the 13.2 Beta fixes the 7950's stuttering issues (which it does): http://techreport.com/review/24218 [...] rame-times[/citation]
Fixes them a bit, but there is still too much time spend beyond 50ms in borderlands 2. I was really put off that AMD could let that happen with the stuttering and it was driver related, and that somehow it wasnt picked up by anyone but Techreport......if it wasnt for them testing cards by frame latency, would they have even fixed it? strange how Toms isnt aware of these stuttering issues...... maybe they should look into testing methods and fix that.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]My friend's desktop was bricked after he installed a driver update for the GTX 680. After undoing the damage, any registry cleaners we ran simply froze. Windows Update wouldn't work properly either.In short, either your computer is messed up and needs a nice nuking and reinstall, or you'er just blatantly lying.[/citation]
Speaking of trolls, maybe your friend shouldn't have use a hammer to update his drivers. I would bet my left nut that it wasn't the drivers that caused those problems. Most likely he was looking at dodgy sites and contracted malware.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]Fixes them a bit, but there is still too much time spend beyond 50ms in borderlands 2. I was really put off that AMD could let that happen with the stuttering and it was driver related, and that somehow it wasnt picked up by anyone but Techreport......if it wasnt for them testing cards by frame latency, would they have even fixed it? strange how Toms isnt aware of these stuttering issues...... maybe they should look into testing methods and fix that.[/citation]

The stuttering with the 13.2 driver is only barely greater than Nividia's GTX gpu.

I think AMD and Nivida still has a long way to go though.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
When the hell are those of us who are still on the HD 4000 series going to get a new driver, I know my card is in legacy support, but I remember AMD saying we'd get a new driver approx. every 3 months or so, it's been just over 7 months since 12.6....

frank_drebin

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I used to be a ATI fan. But finally i got tired of Radeon heat and noise and switched to Nvidia ti560. now its quiet and cool. so sadly i don't care anymore about AMD driver updates ...

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
a lot more plausible than a driver bricking a whole system.
You obviously haven't done a lot of driver updates. By "a lot" I don't mean 10 or 20. I mean hundreds upon hundreds. It happens often enough that at my workplace we take a full disk image backup before updating drivers on servers, and anyone who suggests otherwise would be laughed out of the room.

[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]You obviously haven't done a lot of driver updates. By "a lot" I don't mean 10 or 20. I mean hundreds upon hundreds. It happens often enough that at my workplace we take a full disk image backup before updating drivers on servers, and anyone who suggests otherwise would be laughed out of the room.[/citation]
i'm laughing at you. Your talking about servers, not a graphics card driver for a home pc, noone would do a hdd image of their home pc before updating a driver. I've had a long list of 3d video cards from the nvidia riva 128, TNT, TNT2, Geforece2, radeon 8500, 9800pr0, nvidia 7600gt, AMD 6850, nvidia 8800gts and now gtx660. I have NEVER bricked a computer by doing a driver update, And i would update them regularly. If something did go wrong there would be an easy way to fix it, boot in safe mode and remove the driver.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
No mention of the Linux release notes? Why not?

Because Linux represents less than half of one percent of all Pc's in the
market that's why dumb Dumb.........

Status
Not open for further replies.