AMD Releases R700 Instruction Set

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
This allso confirms that 4890 is not pure oc version of 4870. There are allso some architectural improvements! Nice find!
So this is something like 4870 II same basic core, but some small improvements.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Sure, some games do work under Wine in Linux (after some annoying playing around - not nearly as easy as double click and play out of box). Some are even native (ID Software comes to mind). I can even see Blizzard extending support to linux because they have the money and historically, I wouldn't be surprised. But you are limited unforutnatly. You can easily get older games to run - and if your the type to run Linux over Windows then you might not even care about waiting a few months for support to come to your platform. But the rest of us want to play a game when it comes out. GTA IV? Warhammer? Fallout 3? Or how about the upcomming Starcraft II or Diablo 3? (While I'm sure Blizz will support Linux in future, this time isn't it) Cysis? These are high profile games that any serious gamer will want to play and Linux will not help them.

Now, with the release of these papers, hopefully we can change that. I AM a Windows fanboy, but this is only because I have no real alternative. Wine works OK, but better then my native solution? Not happening. The day that Linux has full Direct3D support with updates coming from Microsoft is the day I switch to Linux completely. THe catch 22 here is that for that to happen, MS will have to license out its tech to the Linux community, which will cost a bundle, but Linux is free and has no money to pay for this license... Plus Linux has nothing to offer Windows in return so, yea theres that...

Children, there is tech out there worth paying for. If you're the type to shop at a thrift store because its "just as good", then by all means, shop at the thrift store. The rest of us care enough to support people who bring us products we like with money - Microsoft included.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
well said gnesterenko i am looking forward to alot of these great titles that are coming out. Quite frankly i am very impressed of the visuals and gameplay. I am looking forward to bioshock 2 and i am going to get it right when it comes out. Steam has changed the way games are played and delivered. With all of that said i currently have ati 3870 512mb and it still kicks ass in all of these games that i have so far. With full 1080P with flying colors.

Its been 1.3 years since i upgraded my card and i am definitely going to upgrade from my 3870 to 4890.

raden_muaz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]gnesterenko[/nom]But the rest of us want to play a game when it comes out. GTA IV? Warhammer? Fallout 3? Or how about the upcomming Starcraft II or Diablo 3? (While I'm sure Blizz will support Linux in future, this time isn't it) Cysis? These are high profile games that any serious gamer will want to play and Linux will not help them.Now, with the release of these papers, hopefully we can change that. I AM a Windows fanboy, but this is only because I have no real alternative.[/citation]

http://appdb.winehq.org/

Oh come on. Other popular titles like
Command and Conquer 3, Red Alert 3, Half-Life 2, Garry's Mod, Counter-Strike: Source , Call of Duty 4, Warcraft III Frozen Throne, EVE Online, Supreme Commander, Left4Dead, blah blah blah
plays 75-90% fine with Wine.

Dont worry about Starcraft II; Blizzard's games most of the time ran ok on Wine and I don't why...

G

You may want to look at the document again as ATi have reneged on the 4890's abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.