News AMD reportedly changes upcoming Ryzen CPU branding to one-up Intel — leak points to Ryzen AI 300 to leapfrog Intel's Core Ultra 200 series

AMD reportedly changes upcoming Ryzen CPU branding to one-up Intel

No, AMD has not changed nor confirmed anything. Don't get me wrong though.

This is just a rumor for now, with no proof whatsoever from any leak, reports, or any other official confirmation from the company.

Saying AMD has changed the branding name, means we are confirming this report is now "official", which is in fact NOT, regardless of how reliable any leaker might be on the internet.

So the article's heading and TITLE can get a bit misleading, at least in my opinion.

Strix Point is the codename for AMD's next-generation mainstream Ryzen mobile processors to succeed AMD's outgoing Ryzen 8040 series chips. The new CPU lineup is expected to debut with AMD's next-generation Zen 5 CPU architecture, RDNA 3.5 graphics, and an XDNA2 NPU with roughly 30 TOPS of performance.

With NPU, the TOPS should be greater than 40 for the Strix Point APU lineup. Not 30.

qKbNTDs.jpeg

Last edited:
Although, we have NOT seen any benchmarks yet, nor any official Laptop product page listings from any OEM, which would further confirm this change in codename, technically speaking, Strix Point is the 3rd Generation of APUs with NPU architecture so it's valid for AMD to use the "300" series nomenclature, after all.

:unsure: :D

Reactions: usertests

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
I think this is plausible... considering how they copied B series chipset nomenclature off of intel... and made it very confusing buying a mobo with said chipset.

But I find this move a bit odd/silly if AMD has indeed made this last minute naming change for the upcoming "Strix Point" APU series just because Intel is using the Core Ultra 200 nomenclature for Arrow and Lunar Lake lineup.

Old numbering convention/'numerical loss' would've put AMD at a disadvantage against Intel's Core Ultra 200 family as the leak claims, which has enticed the marketing team to make this move ?

Changing the nomenclature doesn't make any product more competitive or better though either. And the new naming convention should also match the upcoming lineup of that product, be it an APU, CPU or GPU.

""Hey, we all know 3> 2. Yes ? So, now we can sell more of these chips""- someone thought at AMD's marketing department !

Reactions: usertests
how about both of them just keep a naming scheme we can even understand. What happened to the days of me knowing a Core 2 Duo E8600 and a P8600 was the desktop VS mobile version or having letters in it to know which one is which? Like its like Core ultra 200? WTF Generation is that? where in the line up does it stand if anything else?

Reactions: ThomasKinsley

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
But I find this move a bit odd/silly if AMD has indeed made this last minute naming change for the upcoming "Strix Point" APU series just because Intel is using the Core Ultra 200 nomenclature for Arrow and Lunar Lake lineup.
Obviously everything is unconfirmed, with this representing a rumored rebrand of a rumored rebrand. But I have a sick feeling that it will become reality.

Without some sort of a change, we would have seen Ryzen 10000 though.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
because they can't keep a damn naming scheme for more than 2 generations
It's the only way to make the masses understand that the new product is substantially different.
Like its like Core ultra 200? WTF Generation is that? where in the line up does it stand if anything else?
It's the second generation of the core ultra line, just like core 2 was the second generation of the core line.
The position in the lineup will be determined by the model number like how would you know the position of the e8600 in the lineup without comparing it to other sku numbers in the lineup?!

Yeah, Intel's' nomenclature was clarified before itself.

The first gen would be dubbed as the "Core Ultra 100" series 1, starting with the Meteor Lake series.

And then it will increment with Core Ultra 200, 300, 400 series 2, 3, 4 and so on, with the release of Arrow Lake, Lunar Lake, Panther Lake and other future lineups.

Some "refresh" parts will share the same nomenclature though, such as the Raptor Lake H Refresh family, which will fall under the "Core 2xxH" branding.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...803/intel-core-ultra-processors-series-1.html

2023-12-14_19-47-49.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 35below0

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
No, AMD has not changed nor confirmed anything. Don't get me wrong though.

This is just a rumor for now, with no proof whatsoever from any leak, reports, or any other official confirmation from the company.

Saying AMD has changed the branding name, means we are confirming this report is now "official", which is in fact NOT, regardless of how reliable any leaker might be on the internet.

So the article's heading and TITLE can get a bit misleading, at least in my opinion.
Maybe you should learn what reportedly means before going on such a long rant about nothing. Here's a hint. Reportedly and confirmed are not synonyms.