AMD Reports $590 Million Loss Due to Breakup with GF

Status
Not open for further replies.

ang1dust

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
This is not bad. Its a negative perspective. Its like moving from one apt to the next but having to break the lease in the process. "Owner breaks lease and has a 800 dollar loss for the month" little do they know they are now paying 300/m less in rent and will make it up in a month or 2. AMD will make that up in a quarter or 2. Its already been talked about when they broked it off with GF....OLD NEWS

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]i see amd is having a bad time, they suck at making decent CPU´s and their GPU´s will get outperformed by nvidia´s gtx 6xx series.... they either go loud or go home.[/citation]

I don't agree with the gpu part.

Come on nVidia released their new GPU 3 moths later than AMD. So I guess it's nothing special that 680 is 10-15% faster that 7970. AMD is almost done with 7xxx series while nVidia is at the very begining of introduction of 6xx series. I think nothing changed in AMD-nVidia race. It's constantly amd taking over performance crown, then nVidia follows up 2-3 moths later and takes over. And the cycle repeat.

That's my opinion. Maybe something gonna change if nVidia has gk110 ready to go. But that is rumor so far. And even if it's true, AMD will be ready with 8xxx series by the end of the year.

ang1dust

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]i see amd is having a bad time, they suck at making decent CPU´s and their GPU´s will get outperformed by nvidia´s gtx 6xx series.... they either go loud or go home.[/citation]

... after almost 4 cards being number 1 by AMD and nvidia finally gets it right. Sadly i have seen posts about nvidia rebranding half their crap.

Edited by moderator to remove personal attack.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
[citation][nom]ang1dust[/nom] ..., after almost 4 cards being number 1 by AMD and nvidia finally gets it right. Sadly i have seen posts about nvidia rebranding half their crap.[/citation]

wrong, it took AMD almost a year and half to release a card that out performed the 5 series. Then Nvidia fired back 3 months later that gave them what a 3 month gap ahead of AMD compared to years of being behind?

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]sp0nger[/nom]wrong, it took AMD almost a year and half to release a card that out performed the 5 series. Then Nvidia fired back 3 months later that gave them what a 3 month gap ahead of AMD compared to years of being behind?[/citation]
Amd decided not to create a GPU which sucks the power of two of theirs, so they released their dual gpu solution, which was right on par with Nvidia's they released 2 weeks later.

Kibarob

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Guess I'm the only one to notice in the first couple of words that he says Q1 quarter XD, that makes me LOL out loud.....

ang1dust

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Amd decided not to create a GPU which sucks the power of two of theirs, so they released their dual gpu solution, which was right on par with Nvidia's they released 2 weeks later.[/citation]
HAHA no, AMD had the advantage, i agree with Stingstang, they had the ability to try to lower power consumption which they did. Not to mention, when you KNOW you have the advantage, you can bleed the market. Im not one to SUPPORT this but when you can do it, you do it. Its called capitalism. Did you forget what country your in? :D

vpoko

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
[citation][nom]Kibarob[/nom]Guess I'm the only one to notice in the first couple of words that he says Q1 quarter XD, that makes me LOL out loud.....[/citation]
That's actually not redundant, though the "quarter" should be changed to "quarterly" to be used as an adjective. "Q1 quarterly earnings" is proper English.

Kibarob

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
[citation][nom]vpoko[/nom]That's actually not redundant, though the "quarter" should be changed to "quarterly" to be used as an adjective. "Q1 quarterly earnings" is proper English.[/citation]

That's correct, but I guess it would be considered correct for proper American XD

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]tmk221[/nom]I don't agree with the gpu part.Come on nVidia released their new GPU 3 moths later than AMD. So I guess it's nothing special that 680 is 10-15% faster that 7970. AMD is almost done with 7xxx series while nVidia is at the very begining of introduction of 6xx series. I think nothing changed in AMD-nVidia race. It's constantly amd taking over performance crown, then nVidia follows up 2-3 moths later and takes over. And the cycle repeat.That's my opinion. Maybe something gonna change if nVidia has gk110 ready to go. But that is rumor so far. And even if it's true, AMD will be ready with 8xxx series by the end of the year.[/citation]

I don't know what you've been reading, but AMD's 7970s go clock for clock with NVidia's 680s and its pretty comparable, especially once you OC the two. And AMD is the better choice for compute performance. So where has NVidia gained such a huge advantage (10-15%) as to consider it a runaway. Like the 8000 series cards, the GTK110 isn't arriving anytime soon. Truth be told, you can go with either AMD or NVidia right now and still win based on what you want to have. Let's quit making it seem like NVidia has a hugely superior product like Intel over AMD.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

That is a different subject entirely.

synd

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
There's no doubt that AMD can't compete with Intel about CPUs but you're not right at all about the GPU war vs NVIDIA.
AMD are the leading horse in the battle and are always slightly ahead of nvidia. The GTX680 is really late answer for AMD's last GPU series.
Now imagine if AMD releases their newest series, they'll lead again.

reaper123

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Although i love ATI/AMD i dont consider myself a fanboy of either company.Just wanted to point that out first. The thing is that if you compare the 7970 with the Gtx 680 at same clock rates they perform pretty much the same in gaming. However there are a few things to consider:
The 7970 is a computation beast and is better for 3D designing /3D applications compared to the gtx 680. However the so called Gtx 680 was initialy the Gtx 660ti/670 and the correct equivalent of the 7970 is supposed to be the Big Kepler Gtx 685. Am pretty sure that Nvidia people are rubbing their hands from the stunt they pulled trickering people to pay double the money for that gcard. Seeing that their midrange kepler card was able to outperform a stock 7970 they changed the label to 680 so they could rip us off and pull the big kepler card in the unlike event AMD produces something to rival Nvidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.