News AMD Responds To RX 7900 XTX Hotspot Fiasco

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
Melting connectors, 100 degree hotspots, deceptive naming schemes...
These manufacturers can't wait to take ppl's money by the thousand but don't even have the decency to make sure their products are up to minimum standards.

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
While it is well within my skill set I shouldn't have to take a brand new graphics card apart and re-paste it .... Likely they are using the same manufacturing technique for the chiplet design as they did for the older monolithic design and there needs to be a modification to the assembly process to make up for the differences in the dies when assembling the heatsink.

This is why I don't recommend buying the new AMD GPUs because it's going to take another generation or two to work out the bugs with the Chiplet design/Infinity Cache just like I don't recommend buying a 1st gen Intel GPU .... Let Captain Kirk go boldly where no man has gone before .....

Those who live on the Bleeding Edge often die a Death by a Thousand Cuts

Reactions: Why_Me and ottonis
Hm... This is a positive look, I'd say?

It does appear they're trying to do good to early adopters, so good on AMD for that. I hope they do find the problem and post a clear guidance on what to do about it soon.

Arctic Freezer just went through a replacement situation with some of their AIOs and mine was affected. I'm skilled enough to be able to do the required maintenance on it, so it was painless and helped me avoid returns and such. I hope it doesn't come down to people having to re-paste their own cards, which would be less than ideal, but at least AMD offering quick returns and/or a quick "we'll fix it for you at no cost" service once they find the issue.

Regards.

Reactions: Why_Me
Dec 30, 2022
Yet another case of "support" = "no support at all"!

Following the link provided, you end up at a page which offers articles (NOT support), with a cokkie-gated button at the bottom saying "Need more help? Contact Support". Clicking on that takes you to a page with the following message:

"Important Notice:

This page is temporarily unavailable as our systems are currently undergoing maintenance.

This maintenance period is expected to end on January 5th, 2023, when this page will be available once again to take your inquiries."

Having raised 2 other issues with both AMD and Sapphire regarding my 7900XT (vertical compression of entire screen on 2nd monitor and completely borked Realtek sound output, both of which remain unresolved for 2 weeks), I won't be holding my breath.

Reactions: Why_Me

JayGau

Honorable
Dec 20, 2016
Why are you writing your articles like all the reference RTX 7900 XTX have this issue? It's not all the cards, it's just some of them. I read many comments saying that their temperature is fine and I got mine yesterday and it's also good: GPU temp tops at 70 and the hot spot rarely goes above 82-83 (so same thing than my RTX 2080, actually). It's a Sapphire but the reference model and I was so worried in the last few days because sites like yours talk like every reference model has this problem but it's not true. It's very sad for people who got a bad one and someone really messed up in a factory somewhere but most cards are fine.

By the way, the card is incredibly powerful as compared to my 2080 and runs almost everything at 144 fps ultra settings and 1440p (still struggles with RTX in some games like Cyberpunk like all the reviews said). I just hope AMD will address some issues in their next driver like the crashes with DX12 in The Witcher 3 but other than that it's great.

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
It's refreshing to see a giant manufacturer actually responding to negative news and providing some sort of help/support this soon rather than waiting for some lawsuits to be filed and even then only responding in generic vague statements about they will fight some lawsuit of some false claims!

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
Rx6000 series did the same thing, Hotspot 110c core 70c.

It boosted up to 110c or at its MHz cap.

It was the design, not a flaw - I don't understand why people freak out about it.

Just buy a waterblock if you are concerned.

TR909

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Rx6000 series did the same thing, Hotspot 110c core 70c.

It boosted up to 110c or at its MHz cap.

It was the design, not a flaw - I don't understand why people freak out about it.

Just buy a waterblock if you are concerned.
Actually, not all RX6000s have done the same thing - owner of one. It is unacceptable for a product to exhibit such erratic thermal behavior between pieces from the same batch. And it makes no difference whether AMD considers this "normal" as long as the card throttles and limits performance.

der8auer just released a video about this. It appears that it is vapor chamber dry out. He was able to confirm that it is not mounting pressure, design, thermal limits or any other such nonsense. It is vapor chamber dry out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Lxydc-3K8
To be a tad more pedantic: the Vapour chamber may have a design flaw or defect which is preventing it from correctly moving the heat away from the chip when it's in horizontal mounting position, but has no problems with vertical alignment.

AMD better have a recall process ready on the first week of Jan, because most people uses horizontal mounting.

Regards.

To be a tad more pedantic: the Vapour chamber may have a design flaw or defect which is preventing it from correctly moving the heat away from the chip when it's in horizontal mounting position, but has no problems with vertical alignment.

AMD better have a recall process ready on the first week of Jan, because most people uses horizontal mounting.

Regards.
I'm thinking that there's some sort of peak heat saturation going on that is breaking the evaporation - condensation cycle when cards are mounted horizontally. Not enough sintering maybe...?

This is bad news for AMD. Hopefully they pounce on the issue, are doing their exhaustive testing now, and release their results within a week.

Last edited: