AMD Restructuring Costs Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Hmm, I find it kind of ironic that AMD will launch the Phenom II 955 on April 20th, then on April 21st, they will announce their first quarter results :p

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
[citation][nom]GreatWalrus[/nom]Hmm, I find it kind of ironic that AMD will launch the Phenom II 955 on April 20th, then on April 21st, they will announce their first quarter results[/citation]

Probably so that if their Q1 results suck, they can just say "Oh yeah, the 955 is gonna make Q2 fucking SWEET!" :p

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
All my desktop systems are now AMD, supporting the competition is good, especially if the competition can lower prices and help innovate. Without AMD, the consumer loses. So no matter how much we may hate this company (talking to the fanboys), you need AMD to survive.

G

This is where the Intel monopoly lawsuits are relevant, when AMD was leading, Intel was using their size to illegally maintain their market share, had AMD gained as much market share(and profit) as they should have, they would be in a much better position today, with more money for R&D.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]The Third Level[/nom]Probably so that if their Q1 results suck, they can just say "Oh yeah, the 955 is gonna make Q2 fucking SWEET!"[/citation]

That's exactly what I was thinking when I made the comment! :)

G

At the moment AMD isn't asking for a bailout, and for the moment doesn't need one. And I hope it never reaches that point.

Oh and, deltatux, why would you ever hate amd? Just don't get that one. It has garnered many breakthroughs in the industry, that intel now uses, legally so... it is part of the whole x86 architecture contract. Nor does it have questionable behavior, such as intel. I realize that intel, does put out a lot of quality products that are frequently faster than AMD's chips, but not always. But I don't see why that would give you a reason to hate AMD.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I will likely by a PhenomII x3 as my next cpu (just because I'm cheap, and this 25% performance hit drops price by $100), though possibly a C2Q only because I'm buying a new LGA775 mobo.

I love competition. I don't want either AMD or Intel to dramatically exceed each other. Both companies still need each other due to many licensing agreements as it seems.
I like Intel because it gave me the PIMP Pentium D (which I can use a iron frying pan as a heatsink, olive oil for my liquid cooling, and sausages to make my system look and taste awesome), but I also like AMD because currently I believe they provide a better quad-core for the dollar to your average consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.