AMD Reveals Single Link DisplayPort-to-DVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpgamer

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Hooray now I won't be so frustrated when I try to attach 3 monitors to my computer ^_^. Nah, I'm still frustrated about it >.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
"The dongle will be virtually inexpensive, retailing for $30 USD" as opposed to being just plain ol' inexpensive? Poorly worded, but looks like a useful dongle to dangle off the GPU.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
The dongle will be virtually inexpensive, retailing for $30 USD.
Now, Eyefinity multi-monitor solutions are within reach of virtually everyone
And i Virtually agree with you.

Funny how a small modifier makes something somewhat honest into a some what desperate statement.

This should have been there as a day 0 release... and i think no one would disagree with that.

"Eyefinity multi-monitor solutions are within reach of virtually everyone."

Are they serious? I don't consider 200 bucks per monitor for three monitor and three DisplayPort adapters at 30 bucks each (that' $660 total) within reach of everyone. You'd need to spend a good $1,000 to even get a system that's powerful enough to use all the monitors. For a grand total of close to $1,700, who are they kidding that everyone can afford that? Maybe MORE people can afford it now, but to say virtually every one can is insane.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
My active DP to DVI dongle is a piece of junk. Sapphire support has not responded to me. The video corrupts and randomly turns off every couple minutes. It is no longer usable.
I bought it in Canada, were a Sapphire branded variant was all I could find. It was $150. My 5770 only cost $180.

I, for one, just wish they put 3 damned Mini DVI ports on the card with 3 DACs.
I no longer use triple monitor. Do to the massive amount of game support (do I have to .ini and hex edit files just to play at my own resolution???), the still massive bezels on monitors (if I was afraid of roommates destroying my monitors, I would have chopped the sides of them off with a dremel), the insanely expensive adaptors (which initially weren't available in Canada, and all US retails wouldn't ship them to Canada, and when Sapphire started selling them to Canada, they charged a lot more) etc etc.
One monitor is hooked to my xbox, another to my ps3, and the last to my computer. My $150 adaptor sits unused.

This should be a $5 adaptor, and should come with every new card. It's the least they can do.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Hmm. First things first. I really need a new GPU. My GF9600 is playing all the games I have (1600x1050) but one need to be on par with technology so I'll be shopping for a new card on the next 6 months. Till than we will have dongles going cheaper (specially if series 6xxx is out). :)

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]MadAdmiral[/nom]"Eyefinity multi-monitor solutions are within reach of virtually everyone." Are they serious? I don't consider 200 bucks per monitor for three monitor and three DisplayPort adapters at 30 bucks each (that' $660 total) within reach of everyone. You'd need to spend a good $1,000 to even get a system that's powerful enough to use all the monitors. For a grand total of close to $1,700, who are they kidding that everyone can afford that? Maybe MORE people can afford it now, but to say virtually every one can is insane.[/citation]
You are wrong. A $500 PC can happily power that with a Radeon HD 5450. Obviously this is for productivity. I'd love to have 3 instances of Visual Studio running on my 3 monitors, but I only have two now... (still using Radeon HD 3650 at work).

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I'de have to agree, it is about time and these should have been out and available from day 1. Maybe not go as far as included in box because its a non-essential "luxury item if you will".

Now the $30 price being "Virtually Inexpensive". I think that may be the case for someone that NEEDS a multi-monitor setup but, for average joe/gamer thats just more $$$ to add up ontop of the rest of the required hardware.

But a step in the right direction none the less.

Just pointing this out, ACCELL already has one of these out for $39.99. AMD and Sapphire are late to the party, but it's great that there will be more of them as current supplies are sold out at all local stores here in Canada. The ACCELL ones are retailing for $39.99 CND while the dual-link ones are $139.99.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
To everyone complaining about how it should have been included, It would have been great, but I think this is because they either had another company make the silicon for them or did it themselves, seeing as they are a chip manufacturer.

I suspect that the company that made the silicon had a lock on it and wasn't wanting to sell it cheap. So unless you wanted to pay another $100+ on top of your video card, AMD had NO choice.

Anyone familiar with history should remember the MPEG decoder and encoder chips when they first came out, they were ridiculously expensive, at least till someone came out with cheaper versions and forced the market down.

Again, these active adapters convert Displayport into DVI, signal conversion. There has to be some silicon in the middle, some that didn't exist before. AMD likely had to have time to make it or find another company that didn't suck.

Part of my reasoning its being done in house or by a 3rd party is that the old ones seemed to use a lot of power, since some motherboard USB ports could not keep up, and you often had to find which USB port on your motherboard gave you enough power or found some kind of external USB 5v Supply. New chips with a better process using far less power would be required to not require USB connections.

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
that's all good, but when the heck are we gonna have decent linux drivers? They don't even have to do much, just give the go signal for the community to disect the source code

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Wolfram23[/nom]Just pointing this out, ACCELL already has one of these out for $39.99. AMD and Sapphire are late to the party, but it's great that there will be more of them as current supplies are sold out at all local stores here in Canada. The ACCELL ones are retailing for $39.99 CND while the dual-link ones are $139.99.[/citation]

Late to the party by how long? An hour or few? Both companies news releases are dated 8/31/2010? *points the article above and the links provided*

Status
Not open for further replies.