AMD Reviving FX Brand For High-End Platforms

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berwicke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Blah blah blah...all I've heard from AMD for a over a year is talk. They keeps flapping their gums while intel leaves AMD further and further behind.[/citation]
well i don't know about that considering that intel won't be doing too much for a little after todays fire. gives AMD a headstart, and since it took intel long over a year after AMD to get six core processors while AMD had their six core opterons out since june 2009, and they currently have in production 8 and 12 core Opteron 64 processors and intels big thing is their six core i7's and xeons. Where's that 10 core processor they were blabbing about a while ago? while intel runs their mouth AMD is actually making processors.

The "ivy bridge" due out 1st half 2012, is suppose to have PCI-E 3.0 on-board. Little hard finding amd pcie3 (msi seems to have one, but chipset seems only to be a 990...a 890 replacement).
little hard tracing down actual results/specs....lol. I was really hoping for a "advanced" motherboard using pcie3 this year..oh well.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
well, i just went sandy bridge i7 2600k with a new z68 chipset MB from Asrock and 8 GB ram...i wanted to wait for BD but i liked my C2D E6750 to much and i sayd that i trust intel for my next upgrade even if its a bit more expensive then AMD. I think that the i7 2600k will run everything for the next 3 years or more. WTH my C2D e6750 is 5 years old and still can run everything ^^ @ a decent speed (OCd to 3,2 GHZ)

ramcoza

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Intel is putting a marketing "spin" on this to make potential customers think they have something new and better. It is really just a PR effort to increase sales. Investigate it. Others, including AMD, also have this technology already.Like others, though, I want a real part, not talk and hype. All this talk and hype without real parts is, IMHO, likely hurting AMD, not helping.[/citation]

The article above(Main article) is also to make potential customers think they have something new and better. It is really just a PR effort to increase sales... Lol

Let's see what's new and what's wrong, once they released their products.. Oh! They have to release it.. no? :p
I mean, it'll be great to hear a story and build a thought around it in our mind. But when it comes out, it has to fulfill the thoughts that it created. I meant both Intel and AMD.. SB has done it.. Let's see what Zambezi and IB do..

need4speeds

Distinguished
Keeping the same standardized cpu and gpu shader core for so long is finally paying off for amd.

I have a old 939-x2-4400+/4870 living room pc/1080p tv. It plays games well. In the last year or so, driver updates have helped enough to put off the upgrade for a while longer. App seems to work well with flashplayer, realplayer, and some games are now starting to have patches. So maybe robbing that 2nd 4870 in my 6000+ pc is worth it after all? The 939 has a rare 939 crossfire board asus ati xpress3200.

The plan is to have 8 slower low power cores but the new games use all 8 of them. I suspect a 4ghz clock speed with a 1-4 thread speed about the same as the current phenomIIx4. It's basically the power of two phenomIIx4's.
The use of more amd shaders for app tasks will mean more people will buy 2nd amd cards to run crossfire, or a pair of amd cards.

I don't expect this cpu even overclocked will beat a overclocked i5-2500K@4.5ghz. It's the total amd package that beats the intel cpu.
It will be something like games that use all 8 cores and amd's app will run faster on the amd system. Existing games or games with physx or console ports will run better on the intel cpus still.

I am sure nvidia will come fighting back, and intel with something like a i5-3000K@4ghz.

If the new windows8 works well and can use all 8 cores and app, amd could pull in the lead. But it is becoming more about what future games will support. Will it be directx11/app or dx11/cuda/physx?

If games tend to keep using only 3 or 4 cores and just plain dx11 without app or physx, then the amd will fall behind the intel cpu. Some intel cpu's have ht so even if games use 8 cores, the amd could still fall behind if app does not catch on.

Hmm intel's faster quad or amd's slower 8 core?

ahmad onlee

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
AMD is always better than Intel.Intel just got some more marketing skills cz their aim is to make money.On the other side AMD makes a cheaper chips than Intel that also performs at equal level of intel and their aim is that technology for everybody not for elites only:/

Mario75

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
[citation][nom]berwicke[/nom]well i don't know about that considering that intel won't be doing too much for a little after todays fire. gives AMD a headstart, and since it took intel long over a year after AMD to get six core processors while AMD had their six core opterons out since june 2009, and they currently have in production 8 and 12 core Opteron 64 processors and intels big thing is their six core i7's and xeons. Where's that 10 core processor they were blabbing about a while ago? while intel runs their mouth AMD is actually making processors.[/citation]

oh boy...you talking just us much as your beloved amd..you saying amd making 6core since 2009,but why WHY Intel need 6core if they 4core owning those so called 6core from amd?Intel have 16core,but do consumers really need it?core now enough,and when it starts bottleneck,it will be few more years.Intel=quality,amd=quantity,simple.
Even those new BOBdozers wont compete with Ivy,at the best case they will be on par with Sandy,and even then amd 8core vs Sandy 4core,thus those published prices.
While amd runs their mouth (just like all amd fagboys like you) Intel making quality products,which surpass even quantity from amd.LOL,how much you must desperate if your 8core cant convinsigly win vs 4core xD
Oh,and those delays..4 times..i guess you still wont say amd talking to much do ya?
amd BOBdozer already owned by 1year old Sandy,and here Ivy on horizon..amd good only for one thing - it wont let Intel sleep xD

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]It's a never ending cycle with Intel and AMD. Intel is the much bigger company so they will usually have the lead. Then when Intel gets fat and lazy AMD will suddenly drop an innovation bomb that will kick Intel in the seat of the pants and get them going again.You can thank AMD for Sandy/Ivy Bridge in a way because without AMD, Intel would still be sitting around doing not all that much and enjoying its monopoly. I intend to buy an AMD FX CPU on day one regardless just to support AMD. Not because I'm a fanboi (I have no problem with Intel CPUs) but because I want to see the ongoing increase in CPU tech and innovation driven by the rivalry.[/citation]

Which... is something I still fail to comprehend. I've never understood buying a product to support a "brand" rather than the merits of a product itself. If Bulldozer is good it will survive on those merits and I would consider it for a build. If not... well... I wouldn't buy a Ford Pinto even if it had a Mustang sticker on it, even to support Ford.

AMD needs a kick in the pants and a shot of Red Bull along the lines of what Intel had around 2006. In a perfect world where engineers made decisions to improve performance just for the sake of value and executives weren't trying to drive up a bottom line, maybe that idea would work. In the real world, your wallet talks and the execs will see "Oh, hey, we can keep shipping this stuff out even if it isn't great and they'll buy it up! No reason to improve! CASH-COW-TIME!" That's how we ended up with a half decade of marginal Pentium 4 chips.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]tajisi[/nom]Which... is something I still fail to comprehend. I've never understood buying a product to support a "brand" rather than the merits of a product itself. If Bulldozer is good it will survive on those merits and I would consider it for a build. If not... well... I wouldn't buy a Ford Pinto even if it had a Mustang sticker on it, even to support Ford. AMD needs a kick in the pants and a shot of Red Bull along the lines of what Intel had around 2006. In a perfect world where engineers made decisions to improve performance just for the sake of value and executives weren't trying to drive up a bottom line, maybe that idea would work. In the real world, your wallet talks and the execs will see "Oh, hey, we can keep shipping this stuff out even if it isn't great and they'll buy it up! No reason to improve! CASH-COW-TIME!" That's how we ended up with a half decade of marginal Pentium 4 chips.[/citation]

There's a lot of truth in that. Pentium 4 was a marketing processor, and Intel wanted to show high clock speeds because they felt that was what people understood.

The Pentium 4 had some great technology, and Sandy Bridge used a lot of it, and that's why it's so good. It was a typical example of a much more advanced design that simply did not work well. With Sandy Bridge borrowing so much from the Pentium 4, and being such a successful new architecture, the Pentium 4 can finally rest in peace.

G

@jasonakkerman

actually no, Tri-Gate is Intel's spin on FinFET (or derivatives), what Intel managed to do was figure out how to mass fabricate such a complex beast reliably, there's a big difference.....

@tajisi

i guess you never brought from local retailers over big named chain stores just to support the local economy, or brought into the buy American campaign. I would buy from AMD just to support the brand (a Phenom is plenty power for my needs) because Intel past shoddy practices of penalizing OEM who had AMD chips in their line up, who's to say what AMD could have been capable of had Intel not used such dirty tricks (this was back when AMD performance was owning Intel's), it helps drive innovation, AMD has spearheaded alot of innovative tech, which is surprising due to their financial disadvantage (compounded by Intel's dirty tricks campaign)

berwicke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

well if you want to talk about quality instead of quantity then lets talk about IBM Power Processors. They're faster, have more cores and much better performance than Intel or AMD. Try getting your Intel processor up to a stable core clock of 4.25 ghz, and eight cores, and the ability to run 32 processors on a machine for a total of 256 cores. Still a single 8 core chip at 4.25 ghz or a dual chip setup for 16 cores will blow away any dual setup intel xeon setup you can run, since your core i7's can't run dual chip setups.

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
[citation][nom]BuyAMD[/nom]@jasonakkermanactually no, Tri-Gate is Intel's spin on FinFET (or derivatives), what Intel managed to do was figure out how to mass fabricate such a complex beast reliably, there's a big difference.....@tajisii guess you never brought from local retailers over big named chain stores just to support the local economy, or brought into the buy American campaign. I would buy from AMD just to support the brand (a Phenom is plenty power for my needs) because Intel past shoddy practices of penalizing OEM who had AMD chips in their line up, who's to say what AMD could have been capable of had Intel not used such dirty tricks (this was back when AMD performance was owning Intel's), it helps drive innovation, AMD has spearheaded alot of innovative tech, which is surprising due to their financial disadvantage (compounded by Intel's dirty tricks campaign)[/citation]

Ah, the usual underdog/personal victory by supporting the underdog rhetoric. AMD charged just as much for their chips when they could get away with being greedy and would do so again if it suited them.

As for all the anti-trust stuff... you've never worked for any sort of corporation if you think any of them are "clean". I've seen decisions made that would absolutely make your skin crawl if you have any concept of consumer treatment and "value".

G

@tajisi

lol i didn't say AMD is the shinning white knight, i just stated a fact that chances are if Intel did not play dirty and AMD managed to booster their market position we may have better chips on the market then as is (more revenue means more into R&D), doesn't mean AMD chips will be cheaper and doesn't mean AMD will be more morally better, just means better technology

but hey interpret between the lines all you like, if you look hard enough you might find an excuse for world war 3 there

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
[citation][nom]BuyAMDLol[/nom]@tajisi lol i didn't say AMD is the shinning white knight, i just stated a fact that chances are if Intel did not play dirty and AMD managed to booster their market position we may have better chips on the market then as is (more revenue means more into R&D), doesn't mean AMD chips will be cheaper and doesn't mean AMD will be more morally better, just means better technologybut hey interpret between the lines all you like, if you look hard enough you might find an excuse for world war 3 there[/citation]

It's red vs. blue, not blue vs. green for a third world war.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]It's a never ending cycle with Intel and AMD. Intel is the much bigger company so they will usually have the lead. Then when Intel gets fat and lazy AMD will suddenly drop an innovation bomb that will kick Intel in the seat of the pants and get them going again.[/citation]

sorry but I see a potential monopolist cpu company keeping it's rival in the game so that government doesn't regulate it's prices.

amd beat intel to 64 bit granted. Netburst was a mistake but intel could have used the mobile cpu architecture they had at the time instead. The mobile architecture was way more competative and closer to amds competition. Yet they chose to stick with netburst for so long.
They are not stupid at marketing and they certainly aren't stupid at chip design. So why did they stick with netburst for so long? Let amd back in the game I recon.
I severely hope I am wrong and amd comes back with a game changing chip in bulldozer ( or whatever ). But I honestly don't see amd beating intel on instructions per clock.

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I do want them to release the darned BD's so I can see how they stand against Intel. Not a fanboy of either, but Intel lately has been releasing some pretty good CPUs. Can't wait for Ivy Bridge either.

Status
Not open for further replies.