AMD RX 400 series (Polaris) MegaThread! FAQ & Resources

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
heck yah, polaris delivered. it gets the nod over nvidia options by folks who are honest about it :D

i do love the polaris gpu's. really i'm impressed with all the new gen cards. they all deliver performance/watt well above what came before it. the rest is just icing on the cake.

To be fair, Polaris only pulled ahead in value once the supply issues got sorted out and they dropped prices. Early on the 4 GB was nowhere to be seen and the 8 GB had about ~$40 early adopter tax going. It wasn't until the 460 and 470 were out and then got some pressure from the 1050 and 1050 ti that things changed. Just like how the 1080 dropped by $100 once the 1080 ti was released, and the 1080 ti is $100-200 less than expected, almost certainly due to pressure from Vega's imminent release.

Or in other words, let's hear it for competition.

perfdollar_2560_1440.png

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
17seconds, you could get an RX 470 for quite a bit lower than the MSRP used by TechPowerUp.

This is a given, more people will consider AMD only if they build something that Nvidia doesn't have at all. Something unique.

Masoner

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

I'm very satisfied with my Sapphire RX470 Nitro+, I've OC'd it to stable 1385 Clock and 1800 memory and the temps are around 76 after hours of gaming.

Deadparty37

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
I honestly think the RX 480 was probably one of the best on the market, until the 580 which is impossible to find at the present, around me at least.

CapsLuke

Honorable
Jan 7, 2017

Actually are both out of stock, and the ones available cost way too much, like a gtx 1070

I'm pretty sure it will bring a good amount more speed. From one lineup to another, there are always performance increases. How much, I don't know, but this isn't a refresh, it's a new lineup for the mid range. It wont be like the 480/580 refresh.

I suspect that this move is to compete with Volta. Seems that Vega is their go to architecture until Navi arrives.

SteelOwl

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
So what now, wait for Vega or buy some RX 580 on Black friday on Amazon? I think I read rumors that Vega will be released this year...

Well, the rule of thumb always is: if you're not pressed for an upgrade, just wait.

And I don't know... I have to say I don't have much faith in AMD, unless they trim some of the GCN fat for their mid-range cards. Using Vega for the mid-range, implies they're not willing to compromise one bit. I don't like that too much.

Cheers!

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
This.

Save up now and then have a look on Black Friday. If you get a 470/480/570/580 for an amazing price get it.

My thought is that maybe they are having more production trouble than previously thought and the "lesser" chips are going to be Polaris replacements. It's not like we haven't seen both nVidia and AMD do this before. Which would mean that even cut down, Vega is still faster than Polaris. Polaris has had a relatively short lifespan.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Most of what I've read about Vega's production issues have been related to manufacturability due to variations in the package size/shape (and to a lesser extent larger than normal variations in frequency/voltage/power characteristics). Not die defects. If that's the case, making another product with a cut-down Vega die wouldn't really help, because it would still have to be an HBM card with all the associated manufacturing difficulties.

I mean, there's probably nothing stopping them from releasing a 'Vega 48' or something like that, but I'm not sure how beneficial it'd be to AMD.

AFAIK Vega 11 (new chip) will replace polaris 10/20 as a mid range. We expect performance increase but it could end up in the same performance ballpark as current polaris 10/20 with Vega feature tacked in (HBM, HBCC, RPM). Will be interesting to see how they will pan out against nvidia volta. Right now i assume nvidia might have advantage on die size vs AMD Vega.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Sorry to say but you guys are nuts thinking a 570 or 580 will be on sale on Black friday. They are barely in stock in stores as is, AMD and the partners are just going to sell out of them and transition right into the Vega based cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.