[SOLVED] Amd rx 580 randomly crashing in the middle of games

Dec 22, 2018
Ok so I have a sapphire nitro + rx 580 8gb and when i play certain games it crashes. I just built this pc btw and the only 2 games it runs fine are minecraft and league of legends, but when i run them both at the same time it crashes. The only other games ive tried are fortnite and csgo. Rn i have the latest drivers. I am running a corsair vs650 power supply, which is 650 watts. I also have done cpu benchmarks and furmark tests and everything went fine. I have tried a fresh reinstall of drivers I also tried not installing radeon settings. When it crashes the moniter goes black but my pc is still running. I then have to turn of my pc manually and turn it back on to get it to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
What's running at the same time you're playing games? Before replacing any hardware, did you try 'reset' game' or 'default' settings'? Games like remembering crashes like a game setting. Make sure to write down your game settings as they will be gone.
Are your chipset and bios up to date? Reset your gpu/monitor connections? Could be you have fragments of your old gpu driver in the registry path. To get them out use the AMD Removal tool for drivers.
Get it here.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

Could be your monitor, too. Check your cables by replacing them with known good ones.
Try doing this before you turn it on. Unplug your monitor, press the power button to drain any power in the start up, then plug it back in and...

vermboyd

Commendable
Jan 11, 2019

Yeah I suspect PSU too although there are a lot of faulty Sapphire cards on ebay and similar sites. I prefer to use Asus Strix GPUs and have never had any problems with them. So reliable. My advice would be to try the GPU in another pc if possible. Otherwise test the PSU. You can get PSU testers quite cheap

Rexer

Distinguished

RM750 recalled back in 2013 for faulty auto fan temp setting. Not one of my happy times.

Rexer

Distinguished
What's running at the same time you're playing games? Before replacing any hardware, did you try 'reset' game' or 'default' settings'? Games like remembering crashes like a game setting. Make sure to write down your game settings as they will be gone.
Are your chipset and bios up to date? Reset your gpu/monitor connections? Could be you have fragments of your old gpu driver in the registry path. To get them out use the AMD Removal tool for drivers.
Get it here.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

Could be your monitor, too. Check your cables by replacing them with known good ones.
Try doing this before you turn it on. Unplug your monitor, press the power button to drain any power in the start up, then plug it back in and turn it on. Easier way to test is use another monitor. Maybe borrow a monitor or use a spare monitor. If it starts and plays fine, your monitor's suspect.
Yeah, it could be your PSU. Sometimes they slowly go bad. As vermboyd recommends get a PSU tester. they're cheap on Newegg or Amazon.
Hope this helps.

Solution