Question AMD RX 6700 XT crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2021
So I have been begging AMD and others for help with this with no luck. Random crashes, mostly while playing newer games like AC Valhalla. The screen goes black and the AMD software gives me the error that there was a driver timeout. It crashes out of the game straight to the desktop. So frustrating..
I've checked the gpu temp and it seems fine, usually hovers around 85c which I THINK is ok for this video card? I've tested the fans to make sure they're working properly, I don't think it's overheating.
The drivers are all up to date. I've tried fiddling with game options, windows, full screen, turning off overlays. The video card is only a few months old. The airflow seems alright. Ventilated top and bottom, 3 intake fans on the top, one out in the back.
I love reading through these forums, hopefully someone can give me a suggestion? Hopefully the gpu isn't faulty. :-(
Specs:
Processors : AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core 3.8GHz (4.7GHz Max Boost)
Motherboard : Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite WiFi
Memory : 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3200MHz (2x32GB)
System Cooling : CORSAIR H150i PRO XT RGB Cooler
System Fans : CORSAIR SP120 Elite Performance iCUE RGB
Graphics Cards : AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT
Operating System : MS Windows 10 Home
Operating System Drive : 480GB Force MP510 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
RAID : No RAID
Hard Drive : 1TB Seagate BarraCuda SSD
Power Supply : CORSAIR RM850 SERIES PLUS GOLD PSU

Ralston18

Titan
That 85c temperature may be a problem.....

References:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt/33.html

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt

The GPU may be right at some threshold value with a + or - a couple of degrees C depending on allowed/actual tolerances.

AMD software error.

Also look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may have captured some errors, warnings, or even informational events the precede or correspond with the crash times.

Jun 23, 2021
same problem, drivers from 21.4.xx is not able to work at all.
setup
r5600x pbo2 , max temps 74°C , but room temp is around 30°C
16gb gskill 4000mhz
sapphire 6700xt nitro+ stock settings , no OC, no UV etc.. temps 62°C max and 84°C hotspot
newest bios asus b550tuf
psu corsair 750w
whole system is almost brand new
clean install of win10 21h1...

drivers 21.4.x whql are "most" stable for me, one crash at a time, after hours of playing Division2 dx12 high detail
other drivers cause me instant crash in game

tested only ingame benchmarks in games like FC5, WWZ , StrangeBrigade, it passed

i am bored to install fresh win everytime i want update drivers

this system setup works well with rtx3070 .rtx2080ti , sometimes Division2 crashed to desktop, no instant crash , but updating drivers from nvidia was not problem , from AMD is big problem update drivers

ofcourse, using DDU , clean install drivers, factory reset drivers, safemode etc..
no problem running pc for 12-18 hours day if in windows, web, net , office , so cpu ram stability is rock solid, only gpu in games

Sep 29, 2021
Hi, for anyone else having issues with AMD series 5000 or 6000 uninstalling the AMD software and reinstalling driver ONLY fixed this issue for me about crashing. hope AMD soon fixes their software :) :)

Reactions: RodroX
Oct 19, 2021
Hi, for anyone else having issues with AMD series 5000 or 6000 uninstalling the AMD software and reinstalling driver ONLY fixed this issue for me about crashing. hope AMD soon fixes their software :):)
Hi there, looking into this issue for a friend and was wondering if you could go into a slight more detail for me.
-When you say uninstall the AMD software do you mean uninstalling the software app like you would with any software on windows, or do you need to delete file location and if so what is the software name so I can locate the correct file.
-For the drive update, I’m assuming you went into device manager and updated the GPU driver from there. Did you need to go back to a previous drive in order to reinstall the newest updated drive, or are you able to reinstall the drive without having to go back any previous version.
my friend is using the 6000 series and he is having the crash issue on almost every game now, any help is greatly appreciated.☺️

Sep 29, 2021
Hi there, looking into this issue for a friend and was wondering if you could go into a slight more detail for me.
-When you say uninstall the AMD software do you mean uninstalling the software app like you would with any software on windows, or do you need to delete file location and if so what is the software name so I can locate the correct file.
-For the drive update, I’m assuming you went into device manager and updated the GPU driver from there. Did you need to go back to a previous drive in order to reinstall the newest updated drive, or are you able to reinstall the drive without having to go back any previous version.
my friend is using the 6000 series and he is having the crash issue on almost every game now, any help is greatly appreciated.☺
You need to delete the actual software from control panel > programs and features, it should be at the top of the list. When you uninstall make sure you uninstall everything. I think it might ask about user settings but I'm not sure I'm not at my PC right now and i kept getting random freezing so my card is being checked for being faulty at the retailer i bought it at. When you download the software again , hopefully the newest version has a fix, you need to select the custom installation option, or driver only option, don't remember what it's called on amd software since i only used it for a few months, also you have to select the "clean install" option, the one that requires a restart. I'm thinking about making a YouTube vid for this, there are a lot of people out there who got this problem, the driver only option is a partial workaround/fix until AMD fixes their software, hope this helps :)

Reactions: RodroX
Sep 29, 2021
You need to delete the actual software from control panel > programs and features, it should be at the top of the list. When you uninstall make sure you uninstall everything. I think it might ask about user settings but I'm not sure I'm not at my PC right now and i kept getting random freezing so my card is being checked for being faulty at the retailer i bought it at. When you download the software again , hopefully the newest version has a fix, you need to select the custom installation option, or driver only option, don't remember what it's called on amd software since i only used it for a few months, also you have to select the "clean install" option, the one that requires a restart. I'm thinking about making a YouTube vid for this, there are a lot of people out there who got this problem, the driver only option is a partial workaround/fix until AMD fixes their software, hope this helps :)
It can also be a PSU issue. Remember, the card need 2 separate 8xpin connectors, so not 2 pins from the same connector wire, but 2 separate from 2 wires :)

Oct 19, 2021
My buddy has applied the the instructions I sent him from you and he said this has corrected his crashing issue! It looks like we are all set! Thank you very much for all the help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.