News AMD RX 7600 XT Rumored With Navi 32 and 12GB or 10GB VRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
12GB on Navi 33/128bits is possible if AMD got their hands on 24Gbits GDDR6.
While non-power-of-two DDR5 memory now exists, I don't believe anyone has done that with GDDR6 yet. Correct me if I'm wrong. Theoretically, it's possible, but until it actually gets manufactured we will only have the standard power of two increments (barring non-uniform configurations like some of the old Nvidia GPUs where you had 2GB courtesy of four 2Gb chips and two 4Gb chips).

Reactions: thisisaname

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
AMD will probably release this otherwise they don't have anything to compete at the same price as the 4060 ti 8gb.
Or they could just set the price of the 7700XT to 400 (like it should be), and that'd compete very nicely, and generally exceed it when you don't count RT, which we shouldn't be on these cards cos they're all kind of rubbish at that, let's face it.

That is, in my opinion, all that's needed to make the 7700 a great card this generation - though I admit that's not a very high bar to overcome.

Or they could just set the price of the 7700XT to 400 (like it should be), and that'd compete very nicely, and generally exceed it when you don't count RT, which we shouldn't be on these cards cos they're all kind of rubbish at that, let's face it.

That is, in my opinion, all that's needed to make the 7700 a great card this generation - though I admit that's not a very high bar to overcome.
That would be the nice approach. But more likely AMD wants to keep prices as high as it can, and a $350 RX 7600 XT that's 20% slower than the 7700 XT would fill out the product stack and still potentially encourage people to consider the higher priced card. And if you're considering the 7700 XT, then maybe just go for the 7800 XT instead...

We shall see, but it feels like the 7700 XT mostly exists right now to push people to the 7800 XT. Watch AMD do a $379 RX 7700 12GB instead.

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
6700 XT same raster, same 12GB, $275 like new. This card coming out at $350 will be just "about right". The same cannot be said about the 7700 XT though as it's virtually a downgraded RX6800 whichs about $375 at ebay right now. The 7700XT definetly isn't worth more than $400. I'd choose 6700XT or RX6800 any day ober these, same goes fir the 6800XT vs 7800XT!

24Gbits (and 32Gbits) GDDR7 already exists, slapping a GDDR6 bus interface between the cell arrays and IO pins is a relatively minor design change as they already have all of that too from previous products.
Is it? Because what I've learned over the years is that few changes are "minor" when it comes to cutting edge tech — of which GDDR7 most certainly is a part. I'd file this as "theoretically possible but completely unlikely to ever happen." We'll get products with native GDDR7 support long before anyone backports GDDR7 onto a GDDR6 memory controller with some separate chip doing the translation. That's my bet.

But besides that... I've found zero sources indicating that Samsung (or anyone else) has actually talked about doing 24Gb / 3GB GDDR7 modules. The closest thing I can find is people wondering if Samsung might offer such capacities. The only official announcement about GDDR7 that I've found talks about 32Gbps GDDR7 speeds (which is slightly slower than earlier rumors of 36Gbps speeds):

If you have a source saying 24Gb GDDR7 modules are actually confirmed, I'd love to see it! As in, I'm interested in seeing it, not that I'm questioning you or anything. I definitely can't recall seeing anything other than speculation about the possibility.

InvalidError

Titan
Is it? Because what I've learned over the years is that few changes are "minor" when it comes to cutting edge tech — of which GDDR7 most certainly is a part. I'd file this as "theoretically possible but completely unlikely to ever happen." We'll get products with native GDDR7 support long before anyone backports GDDR7 onto a GDDR6 memory controller with some separate chip doing the translation. That's my bet.
If Micron, Samsung or whoever else is left receives a large enough order for semi-custom DRAM, they will make it. Fundamental DRAM design hasn't changed in 30 years. Retrofitting a GDDR6 interface into a 24Gbits GDDR7 chip requires little more than deleting the GDDR7 controller from the GDDR7 die floor plan, putting a slightly modified GDDR6 one in and fixing the routing/pinout.

Reactions: Amdlova
If Micron, Samsung or whoever else is left receives a large enough order for semi-custom DRAM, they will make it. Fundamental DRAM design hasn't changed in 30 years. Retrofitting a GDDR6 interface into a 24Gbits GDDR7 chip requires little more than deleting the GDDR7 controller from the GDDR7 die floor plan, putting a slightly modified GDDR6 one in and fixing the routing/pinout.
Yeah, redoing an existing design to change the memory controller just isn't likely to happen. Again, sure, theoretically possible but extremely improbable. 24Gb GDDR7 chips down the road is absolutely possible and perhaps even likely to occur, but I'll eat my memory chips if we get a "GDDR7 with GDDR6 interface" from anyone.

InvalidError

Titan
but I'll eat my memory chips if we get a "GDDR7 with GDDR6 interface" from anyone.
DRAM manufacturers are likely using the exact same DRAM memory bank macros across all of their same-gen process memory products, regardless of what glue logic gets stuck between the memory banks and external bus. The fundamentals of DRAM arrays don't change regardless of what the external interface is. They haven't changed in 30+ years. I wouldn't be surprised if the first-gen GDDR7 chips used the same DRAM macros as the latest GDDR6(X), DDR5 and HBM chips made on the same process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS