Question It feels like screen tearing and stuttering when gaming ?

Jun 29, 2024
Laptop model: Lenovo LOQ 15APH8

Hi. At times when I get even 1-2 fps below my refresh rate which is 144hz, my games feel stuttery and I'm experiencing a problem like screen tearing. And that happens even with V-sync on. Deactivating V-sync makes everything worse. The problem occurs with both internal and external monitors. I tried different AMD and NVIDIA graphics drivers and at even some point I completely deleted the AMD drivers since I'm only using
the dGPU. But nothing's solved.

The problem occurs in every game but since it's more obvious with games that I freely can move the camera, I shared a League of Legends sequence. I already contacted Lenovo Support and they connected my computer and reinstalled my drivers but obviously, that didn't solve anything.
If you can help I would be so grateful. Thank you.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You'll need to provide the exact specs for your system as purchased. That is a somewhat generic LOQ model and it has many available hardware configurations.

I take it you have a 7000 or 8000 series AMD APU in there, and a 30 or 40 series Nvidia GPU.

Not sure how they did the GPU pass through inside the hardware, so it is possible the display is connected to the APU and not the GPU and might make some settings weird.

System should have G-sync capability, and that would be what I would suggest turning on if you haven't. Having V-Sync on at the same time in games will also cap the frame rate to the max refresh rate of the display. With V-Sync off and no frame limit set, it will operate in G-Sync from something like 40 FPS to 144FPS, and then disable synching beyond 144 FPS, which would reintroduce tearing.

You may also want to double check that Freesync is on/off depending on which GPU the display is actually connected to. Might be some weirdness if both are turned on.

It is also common practice to set a frame rate cap slightly under the display refresh, so like 143 FPS on a 144Hz display.