Question AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X Crashing While Gaming

Drake_9

Honorable
Feb 21, 2017
I am using AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X processor with Gigabyte Aorus b450 Elite Motherboard,

Earlier I was using Ryzen 3 3100 with the same configuration then there was no issue in 1year but after upgrading the processor to R5 5600x system crashed while in gaming only but sometimes I would be able to play the game without any crash for around 30m to 40m. I have noticed when I remove and reseat RAM it doesn't crash for a while but it's still quite random and hard to predict mostly it is reproducible but sometimes it is not.

Here is what I have already tried but have not resolved the issue

• Installed new fresh OS win 11 64Bit
  • Updated drivers, bios to the latest F63c(beta bios), and installed chipset drivers also
  • Kept everything default in the UEFI setup
  • CPU temperature while crashing in between 70 to 85-degree celsius
  • GPU RX6600 Max 60 degree celsius
  • Tried on different RAM Slot and even used a single stick
  • Tried these games Shadow of tomb rider and COD Warzone
  • Tried to disable Precision Boost
What I saw :

When I disable core performance boost it remains at base 3.7ghz then there are no crashes

It crashes when it auto boost up to 4.65Ghz but just in games non gaming doesn't seem to crash it

disabling its auto boost function after that the system is stable and I can game without any crashes and it stays surprisingly cool as well

My Core voltage is around 1 to 1.2 i raised it to +0.012V this seems to be stable haven't had a crash yet but the performance is down as cinebechR23 is down from 10600 points to 10100
i did try all core oc 4.5Ghz with auto voltage surprisingly cinebechR23 is score is up 11200 somehow but the system was unstable after running for a while i ran cyberpunk and it gave a BSOD

USUALLY When my system crashes it just freezes than restarts in a game it didn't happen in normal CPU stress test on default setting

Please Let me know how to resolve this issue i am trying to make it form for 3 days but still have no luck .. or should i just go for RMA I'm confused is the motherboard not giving enough volt or the cpu is unstable

I am using AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X processor with Gigabyte Aorus b450 Elite Motherboard,

Earlier I was using Ryzen 3 3100 with the same configuration then there was no issue in 1year but after upgrading the processor to R5 5600x system crashed while in gaming only but sometimes I would be able to play the game without any crash for around 30m to 40m. I have noticed when I remove and reseat RAM it doesn't crash for a while but it's still quite random and hard to predict mostly it is reproducible but sometimes it is not.

Here is what I have already tried but have not resolved the issue

• Installed new fresh OS win 11 64Bit
  • Updated drivers, bios to the latest F63c(beta bios), and installed chipset drivers also
  • Kept everything default in the UEFI setup
  • CPU temperature while crashing in between 70 to 85-degree celsius
  • GPU RX6600 Max 60 degree celsius
  • Tried on different RAM Slot and even used a single stick
  • Tried these games Shadow of tomb rider and COD Warzone
  • Tried to disable Precision Boost
What I saw :

When I disable core performance boost it remains at base 3.7ghz then there are no crashes

It crashes when it auto boost up to 4.65Ghz but just in games non gaming doesn't seem to crash it

disabling its auto boost function after that the system is stable and I can game without any crashes and it stays surprisingly cool as well

My Core voltage is around 1 to 1.2 i raised it to +0.012V this seems to be stable haven't had a crash yet but the performance is down as cinebechR23 is down from 10600 points to 10100
i did try all core oc 4.5Ghz with auto voltage surprisingly cinebechR23 is score is up 11200 somehow but the system was unstable after running for a while i ran cyberpunk and it gave a BSOD

USUALLY When my system crashes it just freezes than restarts in a game it didn't happen in normal CPU stress test on default setting

Please Let me know how to resolve this issue i am trying to make it form for 3 days but still have no luck .. or should i just go for RMA I'm confused is the motherboard not giving enough volt or the cpu is unstable
Give CPU and RAM some more voltage. 1.2v is on low side, it's not Intel, Ryzen is good up to 1.5v so close to 1.3v should make no problem if you can stay under 90c.

Drake_9

Honorable
Feb 21, 2017
Give CPU and RAM some more voltage. 1.2v is on the low side, it's not Intel, Ryzen is good up to 1.5v so close to 1.3v should make no problem if you can stay under 90c.
Okay
in BIOS I saw 3 Menu
Vcore
Vcore Soc
Dram

Vcore and VcoreSoc have ether ( +, - , auto, normal) these are the options I have i have added +0.102V but performance is reduced even further now cinebechR23 score is 9800 and the system generally feels bit sluggish

HW Info Image

Please list your full pc specs. Make/Model of each componant. Ram/PSU etc.

Pumping more voltage to the CPU is prob not gonna help much if you are having crashes. Best keep things on stock/auto, and try to diagnose the issue.

Could be ram if it's BSOD'ing - Test your mem outside of windows with memtest86+ on a usb thumbdrive.

Could be the new CPU, and it might be triping your PSU, which could be another issue.

Are all system drivers up to date? If not make sure they are, and also what bios are you running?

What cooler are you using for the 5600x. The same one on the 3100

Okay
in BIOS I saw 3 Menu
Vcore
Vcore Soc
Dram

Vcore and VcoreSoc have ether ( +, - , auto, normal) these are the options I have i have added +0.102V but performance is reduced even further now cinebechR23 score is 9800 and the system generally feels bit sluggish

HW Info Image
VcoreSoc is for internal memory controller, should not mess with it
Vcore is for CPU. if too low under the load, windows kernel can start cracking and throwing BSODs.
DRAM (RAM) safely 1.35v for 3000MHz and up.

DavidM012

Distinguished
You changed the cpu which will also affect the qvl parameters for your memory so the mem that's compatible with the earlier matisse Ryzen 3 3100 cpu isn't as compatible with the Vermeer Ryzen 5 5600x.

Start with a bit of info just the list of the codenames of the cpus because they use the model or codename interchangeably on the QVL: just to make things complicated so you have to cross reference them if you don't know them by heart.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-1x/support#support-doc

That it's crashing while gaming is a strong clue that the memory isn't compatible.

Something you could try immediately is loosening the memory timings a bit if you know how to so if the memory is cas 16 try it with cas 18 timings or if it's cas 14 try it at cas 16 which slows it down a bit because there is something going on with the performance features of the Zen 3's.

Can you post the specific Part Number of your current memory so that can be looked up on the qvl? My guess at this juncture is the memory is qvl for matisse but non-qvl for Vermeer.

Barking up the wrong tree with the vcore voltage so leave that.

Is 450w PSU enough for Ryzen 5 5600X?

'If you are considering using Ryzen 5 5600X then you should get a 700W or above PSU and if you are considering using Ryzen 5 3600 then a 650W PSU will be enough.'.

Say that but maybe you have a weak power supply that was ok for the Ryzen 3 but the ryzen 5 also pulls a bit more power so that's two issues maybe 1. The ram being not so compatible 2. The PSU not being up to scratch.

You didn't list your specs so it's just a guess. Basically you upgraded the CPU without considering the rest of the system.

So... put the old CPU back for now. Hold on to your zen 3 but have a think about what it's going to take to get the most out of it:

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ryzen-5000-ram-guide

The expensive cl14 dimms so essentially just push off upgrading for a few months while you save up for a 850w psu and some nice dimms. Well you need a strategy so because there is a chance you won't hit the high notes the story goes like this, you send back your zen 3 and then decide to try it again later but buying a second cpu just happened to get one that is in the minority that doesn't overclock to the fulllest which would be just as frustrating. because you had one that might've worked.

Also there might be other ways to improve your PC without necessarily going for the zen 3 depending on what you want it for after all you don't use a porsche to zip about town to a supermarket and stop every 2 minutes at the traffic lights you use it on the open road so you just need to tailor your build a bit more closely to your needs.

If it was that uncomplicated, ok more is better and nice to have but you're paying for that nice to have and paying for it and not using it 90% of the time isn't really worth it.

So start a thread in the systems forum with your zen 2 build and ask for advice to upgrade and state what you want it for.

'Cos it seems like people are going oh yeah zen 3 but not really considering that it occupies like the high performance sports car niche and you need a racetrack to really open up the throttle. The cas 14 memory is the sonic boom and the overclock is the jump to warp speed.

Last edited: