AMD Ryzen 2 vs. Intel 9th Gen Core: Which CPU Deserves Your Money?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

While I believe the i9 9900K doesn't really fulfill any purpose well- the 8700K and 9600K are just as good at gaming, and as a workstation there are Threadripper builds that are going to come to around the same cost yet perform much better. Both of those are true, its also true that at ~$600 or so its overpriced. However the i6 9600K is a very good no compromise gaming processor, either it or the i7 8700K is what I would say is the top dog no compromise gaming processor. Not best bang for the dollar, but very best performance over all else crushing the FPS. If the i9 9900K comes down in price I could easily say its a great all around performer (because it is- its just priced at a point that doesn't make sense). It can crush games and turn around and do quite well as a workstation its just its current price point that makes it have no place. I also don't believe in default overclocking, I wish all motherboard manufactures would stop doing it or at least give you the choice when you first boot - do you want it or not.

You can go back and read past posts. I stand by I don't hate Intel, I hate marketing tricks (when anyone does them) however I firmly believe that Intel is very much needed. If only AMD were around prices would be sky high for stagnated technology. A world where Bulldozer is the most powerful processor isn't a world anyone would want to live in. AMD needs to have the challenge of competing with Intel and Intel needs to be pushed forward by a resurgent AMD.

I farm all spring and summer and I board horses. that's my main summer work. When the snow comes there's no major repairs or upgrading being done on the farm and I fall back exclusively on building custom rigs. I more than anyone can appreciate the need for Intel and AMD to both be great or else no one would ever need to upgrade to a new rig. In my opinion the i9 9900K would have been a great processor if released in high enough numbers, the price was set at $400 - $450, and they would have released it with the 95W limit enforced as its stock configuration across all motherboards. They could rightfully claim gaming supremacy and edging the 2700X in productivity at stock and have a massive ~1Ghz overclock capability for those who want to take advantage of it. No one could have said anything bad about that. That would have been huge and put AMD on its heels till 7nm releases.

No micro Centers here unfortunately.

My biggest thing is the platform overall. AMD still lags a bit However we still have to see Intels refresh for their HEDT platform and what pricing will be there. If the 9800X is actually priced where it is listed MSRP (589) then it will be well more worth the value than the 9900K if the 9900K doesn't drop by at least $100 considering that you get 2 more memory channels, vastly more PCIe from the CPU and a faster interconnect.

However I feel retailers will still price gouge.

Just to be clear, the only issues I have the with i9 9900K is the absurdly high price and the 95W rating. If it would have been priced fairly ~400 - 450 it would have a clear place as a do everything processor that could crush gaming and that is clearly cheaper than true workstation processors. As a far as the 95W limit, if Intel wanted this chip to be hitting 4.7Ghz all core by default they would have set the TDP at 155W. By overclocking by default you not only skew the "stock" benchmarks in your favor but you also do your own product a disservice. As pointed out by jimmysmitty auto overclocking always pumps way more voltage to your processor than is needed to ensure that even the poorest binned chip will still be able to hit targeted overclock. This promotes higher thermals and a lower life span. The idea that "its a K processor everyone expects it to be overclocked and will overclock it" is just plain false. There are a good number of people who buy a K processor for the improved binning but have absolutely no intentions to overclock it. Had it been priced fairly with a true stock clock setting that showcased its amazing ability to overclock an additional 800Mhz - 1Ghz no one would have been able to say anything but good things about it.

I don't really have a MicroCenter "near" me, but I make it work. The closest one to me is about 100 miles away so I do a day trip, get all the parts I know I'll need for ordered builds and stock up on ones that I think I'll probably need and hope I'm right. The prices at MicroCenter and actually being able to look at what your buying make the trip worthwhile though. A lot of times if I had to pay what Newegg, or other online retailers were selling parts for there really wouldn't be much room for me to make a profit. The bundle deals at MicroCenter are what are really amazing.

Don't forget that the k series of the part is usually clocked higher (base clock) than the non-K version, so someone who isn't into overclocking may just go for it because of that.

Very true as well. I was actually surprised when I got into building systems just how many people wanted the "K" processor with no intention to overclock. Don't get me wrong, a lot wanted to push it as far as possible and couldn't wait to get it home and rev it up. But I found a large niche of "K" buyers who instead of wanting to push the limits in clock speed were more interested in keeping stock speed and performance but wanted the core voltage to be pushed as low as possible and the better binning of the "K" processors makes that much easier. In mini builds where room for proper coolers becomes an issue this made perfect sense to me as less voltage, less heat, the smaller heat sink you could use. However there are several "K" systems I built and optimized with the lowest stable Vcore possible that had healthy mid towers and plenty of room for cooling... I could never explain it, but to each his (or her) own I guess.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I know this article is oldish at this point but i was price checking a bit over the holidays and I have a possible concern about the value proposition. The AMD's seem to rely upon overclocking a bit to match the Intel's performance or at least close the gap in certain games. I find Ryzen motherboards appear to be about 10 or 20 bucks more expensive and they are RAM finicky which drives up the price of ram for the AMD side. So taking CPU, RAM, and Motherboard together the price is a wash between AMD and Intel. Ryzen needs fast ram and lots of folks have trouble finding compatible sets which means ram is about 200 bucks for gSkill 3200 AMD kit which is the go to AMD ram. Whereas intel can use 2666 or 3000 mhz any cheapo ram and it will still do well running 108 for a similar gskill set with 14 -14--14-XX timings.

It is true that Samsung "B" die kits (CL 14) can run a lot of money. However Ryzen Plus fixed the vast majorities of RAM compatibility that first gen Ryzen had. I for example am running a Trident Z RGB kit 3200Mhz that is I think "A" die, was a much better bargain than Samsung "B" die and I have it overclocked to 3600Mhz. I have no compatibility issues at all. I think my RAM when I bought it was ~$130. You can also buy the Ryzen R5 2600 for $155 at Amazon. That drops your comparison to AMD build costing $395 and Intel costing $477 which is much more realistic.

One more thing to consider is the Z390 motherboard that is a whopping $10 less is a dead socket. There is no chance that the Z390 motherboards will support 10nm if Intel ever releases it. The AM4 motherboards on the other hand are supported though 2020 so will have an upgrade path through Zen 2, Ryzen 3000 series. I'd say that coming in cheaper up front and having a very good upgrade path makes Ryzen a much, much better value than Intel.

Thats a pretty big assumption to make. While the chances are that Intel will move to a new socket with their 10nm wed wont know until the day comes that the information is released. I am going to assume it will be a new socket for 10nm mainly due to the changes it seems Intel is doing to their mainstream CPUs with Sunny Cove. But I will not make it a 100% yes.

To be fair, I guess no one could be 100% certain so I'll definitely give you that. However looking at Intel's past history of board compatibility generation to generation and the upgrades Intel has planned for Sunny Cove there is a better than 99% chance that Sunny Cove 10nm will be on a new socket. That's not to say that Intel won't release another refresh of their refresh of their refresh on 14nm++ (not sure how many +s there up to now), and that may utilize the Z390 socket, but another refresh won't help them much against Zen 2 which will release with AM4 compatibility. What Intel really needs is the release of their long delayed 10nm which will almost certainly be on a new socket.

My main point was AMD's AM4 socket is supported though 2020 and Zen 2 will be compatible on AM4. That gives the current AM4 motherboards a huge value advantage over Intel's Z390 boards that will almost certainly not support Sunny Cove, which makes the Z390 a dead socket and aside from another possible refresh gives the Z390 no real upgrade path.

I do agree Sunny Cove will most likely push a new socket. Its a pretty big change compared to previous refreshes. I am a bit sad Intel was unable to stick to the Tick-Tock method as 10nm would have been on LGA 1151 and on the same chipset as Skylake.
For me though I have never looked at longevity. The one benefit Intel has had is that their CPUs last quite a while anyways. By the time I upgraded from my Q6600 to my 2500K I had the Q6600 long enough that the platforms value was worth it. Same with the 2500K. Most people who buy a Z390 and whatever CPU will be fine CPU wise for the next 5 years anyways, same with Ryzen. I doubt by the time you need to upgrade from say a Ryzen 2700 that AM4 will be AMDs mainstream socket.

I'll agree with that. I am seriously considering upgrading the processor to Ryzen R7 3xxx when it releases, but may opt not to as well. Traditionally I have only upgraded my personal rigs every 5 to 6 years and have been overall happy till the upgrade. This last time I just couldn't wait any longer (was trying to hold out till Zen 2 7nm), my FX 8370 rig with R9 290 was suffering from random hardware failures that I'm not sure was the processor, power supply or motherboard. When I upgraded to the R7 2700X and recently installed RTX 2070 I knew it would be a big performance boost, but I wasn't expecting just how much of a boost. I would say overall my system is more than 50% more powerful than my FX 8370 rig.