News AMD Ryzen 3000 CPUs Get Memory Recommendations From ASRock

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Uh, this looks less like a 'recommended' or 'optimal' memory config from ASRock and more like the officially rated maximums from AMD. AMD did the same thing for Ryzen 1000/2000, where the rated max speed depending on # of DIMMs/ranks.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Uh, this looks less like a 'recommended' or 'optimal' memory config from ASRock and more like the officially rated maximums from AMD. AMD did the same thing for Ryzen 1000/2000, where the rated max speed depending on # of DIMMs/ranks.

Not really ...

Asrock recommends faster than 3200 RAM, 3600 or 3733 for the "sweet spot" up to 4666 on their high end board, and has let us know the caveat of going with four DIMMS on their boards.

So if ASRock says their board will support up to 4666, is that the limitation you were referring to?

I never did personally experience any of the hoopla that you sometimes hear about with Ryzen and ram ... I bought a R7 1700 two years ago, cheap $120CAD MSI mobo, and 2 DIMMS of 8GB 3200 corsair ram, that was not officially supported by AMD, and have been running it at 3200 1t 14-15-15-34 timings (tighter than XMP).

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Asrock recommends faster than 3200 RAM, 3600 or 3733 for the "sweet spot" up to 4666 on their high end board, and has let us know the caveat of going with four DIMMS on their boards.
The recommendations for 3600 or 3733 come from statements from AMD. The "recommendations from ASRock" being referred to are just the values in the table, which I'm fairly confident are just the official rated speeds for Ryzen 3000 as supplied by AMD.

Last edited:
Yeah this is just going to be the typical supported configs. Nothing really special here.

Speaking of my Ryzen 1800x actually has higher performance on 3200 CL14 1T with tight sub timings than with 3466 CL14 1T. I think my motherboard is automatically turning on the gear down mode when I push over 3200 Mhz. This is something that happened after I updated to Gigabytes latest F40 BIOS for Ryzen 3000 support. Fun times.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
The recommendations for 3600 or 3733 come from statement from AMD. The "recommendations from ASRock" being referred to are just the values in the table, which I'm fairly confident are just the official rated speeds for Ryzen 3000 as supplied by AMD.
Technically there is only one officially rated speed for x570 -- 3200, just as their is one official speed for z390 which is 2666. I'm not really sure what your complaint was.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Yeah this is just going to be the typical supported configs. Nothing really special here.

Speaking of my Ryzen 1800x actually has higher performance on 3200 CL14 1T with tight sub timings than with 3466 CL14 1T. I think my motherboard is automatically turning on the gear down mode when I push over 3200 Mhz. This is something that happened after I updated to Gigabytes latest F40 BIOS for Ryzen 3000 support. Fun times.

Not sure what gear down mode is either, but I have noticed that subtimings can in some instance have notable effects. I've seen tighter timings and slower speed outperform higher speeds and looser timings on Ryzen.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Technically there is only one officially rated speed for x570 -- 3200, just as their is one official speed for z390 which is 2666. I'm not really sure what your complaint was.
Rated memory speed depends on the CPU more so than the chipset. AMD lists a single rated speed, but then provides additional speed ratings depending on # of DIMMs/ranks.
Ryzen 2K https://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2018/06/06/2nd-Gen-AMD-Ryzen-Supported-RAM-Speeds-1175/
Ryzen 1K https://community.amd.com/community...4/tips-for-building-a-better-amd-ryzen-system

My "complaint" is that this article is titled "Recommendations from ASRock" but the recommendations aren't actually from ASRock...

Last edited:
What "gear down mode" are you referring to?
Gear-Down Mode is part of the JEDEC DDR4 Rev B Spec. Ryzen supports it. Essentially, at memory speeds of 2666 MT/s or higher, Gear-Down Mode can be enabled to allow the memory address/command, and control buses to run at 1/2 or 1/4 speed, for compatibility in situations where the memory would otherwise be unstable.

When running in Gear-Down Mode, all timing parameters are rounded up to an even number. This might account for your apparent loss of performance, despite running a higher MT/s rate.

Gear-Down Mode is part of the JEDEC DDR4 Rev B Spec. Ryzen supports it. Essentially, at memory speeds of 2666 MT/s or higher, Gear-Down Mode can be enabled to allow the memory address/command, and control buses to run at 1/2 or 1/4 speed, for compatibility in situations where the memory would otherwise be unstable.

When running in Gear-Down Mode, all timing parameters are rounded up to an even number. This might account for your apparent loss of performance, despite running a higher MT/s rate.

Yeah it's part of the the JDEC spec and if you can still run at 1T disabling gear down mode helps performance on Ryzen 1xxxx and 2xxx. See AMD's fun memory testing doc.
https://community.amd.com/community...emory-oc-showdown-frequency-vs-memory-timings

So more testing the darn F40 Bios from Gigabyte is not allowing me to turn gear down mode off at all. I'll report it to them.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Rated memory speed depends on the CPU more so than the chipset. AMD lists a single rated speed, but then provides additional speed ratings depending on # of DIMMs/ranks.
Ryzen 2K https://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2018/06/06/2nd-Gen-AMD-Ryzen-Supported-RAM-Speeds-1175/
Ryzen 1K https://community.amd.com/community...4/tips-for-building-a-better-amd-ryzen-system

My "complaint" is that this article is titled "Recommendations from ASRock" but the recommendations aren't actually from ASRock...

Assuming this is true, the source of this info for this article was ASRock. I think that's valid.

clsmithj

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Are anyone here going to buy 3700 or 4000 speeds DDR4 , RAM is not cheap and I already got several 32GB DDR4 3000 RAM kits from Patriot Viper4 and Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB. Wouldn't it be wise to simply overclock the RAM, if the 3rd gen Ryzen CPU is now going to support past it's previous memory speed recommendation?