[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 3600X Stock Paste

checott

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
Hey gang,

I hope you're all healthy and well. I bought a custom built a few months ago and have recently been doing some research on my CPU as the temperatures have been quite high. Have been told to remove a fan, change fan speeds and apply a new paste. I'm happily going to do all of these things.

Just wondering, since I have an AMD Ryzen 3600X with a Cryorig H7 cooler, should I buy some new paste and remove the stock paste? All my research says to use a third party paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut or something else. Would you suggest changing out my paste?

Also, is my cooler decent? Other forum users have said that my cooler should be working better, so I'm unsure if that means I got a crappy cooler. Should I look into buying a better one? If so, which would you recommend? I can go to a technician to get it installed if it's difficult, otherwise I'm sure I'd be able to figure it out.

Thanks so much.

Solution
The paste that comes with the H7 will work just fine their only a couple C temp difference in paste.

It could be the person that mounted the cooler used the pea method to apply the paste for the AMD processors you need a bit more coverage.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The paste that comes with the H7 will work just fine their only a couple C temp difference in paste.

It could be the person that mounted the cooler used the pea method to apply the paste for the AMD processors you need a bit more coverage.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

checott

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019

So would you suggest starting over with the processors paste? Or should I just leave it and try the other methods first (ie swapping fans, adjusting speed etc)

The AMD Ryzen 3600X comes with a Wraith Spire Cooler. You have the Cryorig H7 cooler so what's the story there?
Anyway both are inadequate if you wish to get the best from your CPU performance wise
The AMD 3600X is meant for overclocking and an air cooler will only be good for stock frequency.If you do decide to upgrade then use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. It's is one of the best TIM you can get.
Use it sparingly as it's there to fill just the tiniest of voids. Less is best.

checott

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
The AMD Ryzen 3600X comes with a Wraith Spire Cooler. You have the Cryorig H7 cooler so what's the story there?
Anyway both are inadequate if you wish to get the best from your CPU performance wise
The AMD 3600X is meant for overclocking and an air cooler will only be good for stock frequency.If you do decide to upgrade then use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. It's is one of the best TIM you can get.
Use it sparingly as it's there to fill just the tiniest of voids. Less is best.
What kind of cooler would you suggest then? I’m not sure about the cooling components so I don’t know what I should get. And yep I’ve heard the same about Thermal Grizzly, so I think I’ll buy some anyway.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
What kind of cooler would you suggest then? I’m not sure about the cooling components so I don’t know what I should get. And yep I’ve heard the same about Thermal Grizzly, so I think I’ll buy some anyway.
That is not really true the 3600x is not really meant for overclocking the boost speed is about all you can really get from them and the H7 is a lot better than the stock cooler.

What are your temps under load?

checott

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
That is not really true the 3600x is not really meant for overclocking the boost speed is about all you can really get from them and the H7 is a lot better than the stock cooler.

What are your temps under load?
Hey! Thanks for your response. I guess now is a good time to ask how to do a stress test? My temps under a general gaming load (ie sims 4, far cry etc) is about 65-75 degrees. I’ve never done a stress test before so I feel like this would be useful. Other forums have said the H7 should be doing a lot better, so I need to figure out why it’s not doing it’s job. Could be the fan above it?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey! Thanks for your response. I guess now is a good time to ask how to do a stress test? My temps under a general gaming load (ie sims 4, far cry etc) is about 65-75 degrees. I’ve never done a stress test before so I feel like this would be useful. Other forums have said the H7 should be doing a lot better, so I need to figure out why it’s not doing it’s job. Could be the fan above it?
The way the paste is applied can make a difference it's not the same as applying it to a Intel processor.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@checott
This is what your 3600X looks like with the lid off:
AMD-Ryzen-3000.jpg

You can see why the center only application isn't effective here. Note where the iconic golden triangle is on your cpu, so you know where the chiplets are relative to it.
2 applications should work here - where the triangle is in this image, anyway:
-near the center, but a little to the left
-top right corner

Last edited:
65-75 while gaming, isnt that pretty much normal for a 3600X? (without spending silly money on a top of the range cooler.)

Did you follow the advice in your previous thread??

x55gSEMYGi2YaPGFWHKGs6-650-80.png

Thats the temp difference between various pastes, there's barely any variation between them until you get to the ultra cheap stuff.

I'm with the comment above, the cryorig paste is fine, the application might have been poorly done.

checott

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
What sort of temperatures are you getting using the Cryorig H7 cooler?
Im getting about 55 degrees normal load, then 65-75 gaming.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
@checott Becareful buying Kryonaut from Amazon or even Newegg. Some people in the reviews section reports that they got a bad batch. Your best bet is going to their website: https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/produkte/2-kryonaut

At the very bottom of the page are their genuine 3rd party sellers. I got my Kryonaut from PerformancePCs. Works like a charm -- will use it again on the upcoming Zen 3 16 core once it comes out 👀