Question AMD Ryzen 3700x stuck to heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2022
My mobo got fried last week and I had to get a replacement..
While trying to rebuild my PC i ran into a problem..

I can't get my amd CPU off of the heatsink. I used the thermal paste that came with it, which was an obvious mistake..

I already tried heating it with a hair dryer several times up to 5 minutes ( couldnt hold the heatsink since it was that hot), then twisting it, trying to floss it out, tried with a razorblade ( i cant get between the CPU and heatsink no matter what).. soaked it in isopropyl and then did all of the above again.. I cant move it.. any other ideas?

Try getting a longer razor blade, like one of the extra long ones that are angled/pointed at one end but flat across at the other, and line it up between the heatsink and CPU heat spreader, then gently tap the end of the razor blade with a small hammer or pliers, etc., to try and drive it (Gently) in between the heatsink and CPU to break the adhesion.

Another option is that you may not be getting it hot enough with the hair dryer and you may need to use an actual heat gun like those used to remove paint or heat shrink tubing. It might also be possible to make a specialty tool that is something like a water pump fan clutch tool with a cutout the exact size, slightly bigger actually, as the square outside diameter of the CPU in order to twist it sideways and break the adhesion. Not this exact thing, but something like it. Could be made out of a piece of metal, dense plastic or even probably wood.

lSSsxaD.jpg

Aug 27, 2022
Try getting a longer razor blade, like one of the extra long ones that are angled/pointed at one end but flat across at the other, and line it up between the heatsink and CPU heat spreader, then gently tap the end of the razor blade with a small hammer or pliers, etc., to try and drive it (Gently) in between the heatsink and CPU to break the adhesion.

Another option is that you may not be getting it hot enough with the hair dryer and you may need to use an actual heat gun like those used to remove paint or heat shrink tubing. It might also be possible to make a specialty tool that is something like a water pump fan clutch tool with a cutout the exact size, slightly bigger actually, as the square outside diameter of the CPU in order to twist it sideways and break the adhesion. Not this exact thing, but something like it. Could be made out of a piece of metal, dense plastic or even probably wood.

lSSsxaD.jpg
Used a razor blade thats 20cm long, didnt work.
I heated it so much that im afraid to heat it further, im unable to touch it when its heated.
Dont know where i would find a tool like that.

You wouldn't "find" one, you'd need to make it. Aside from that, if you are unable to do what needs done you might need to take it to a repair shop and have them remove it.

You can also try taking a piece of dental floss or fishing line and sawing it back and forth between the two pieces to try and work it loose that way too.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
One tip a friend showed me was while the cpu is in the system, before you remove the heatsink, start the system up for 5 minutes or so to let the cpu heat up. Then power off, and give the heatsink a twist when you attempt to remove it, which should hopefully break the seal between the cpu and the compound.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bathroom, 2x stacks of books, heatgun/hairdryer and a towel.

Build 2x towers of books, a little wider than the heatsink. Place towel between. Suspend the heatsink upside down in the gap. Use the heat gun on high - up close, from borh sides. Just make sure all wiring, cables etc are unplugged from the heatsink first.

Can also use a paint stirrer stick, ruler or other wide/flat wooden object as a prybar, just don't try to be brutal with it, you only need to break the surface tension of the paste.

And what
( couldnt hold the heatsink since it was that hot)
Does that mean? Never hear of Oven Mitts?

When the obviously simple methods fail, it is then time to get creative. Just don't do things stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.