News AMD Ryzen 4000-Powered Xiaomi RedmiBook Laptops Start at $530

Apr 1, 2020
Why can't the USA get laptops like this? I was publicly lamenting the fact that there are no good sub $1000 laptops, even on sale, you have to compromise in some way, be it abysmal battery life, abysmal graphics, abysmal screen, or any combination of these. These notebooks with 100% AdobeRGB screens and fairly epic specs for under $700 is just...Heck even at $800 it's still epic, assuming the 12 hour battery life is true...

abtocool

Commendable
May 7, 2018
The RAM is not described properly enough. Whenever some company is silent about the DDR version of RAM, I'm forced to assume that they are using inferior RAM.

Can someone check whether this is DDR3 or DDR4 ? What frequency does it run on?

May 27, 2020
They've really cut a lot of corners to get it to this price. Check the official page (Chinese only) https://www.mi.com/buy/detail?product_id=10000226

SATA SSD instead of NVME
Wi-fi 5 instead of 6
HDMI 1.4 instead of 2.0
No webcam

And the 14" version has a garbage screen. 16" version has a good screen.
This is a hard pass for me on this release, I'd rather pay a couple hundred more and get this year's Lenovo 15" with AMD Renoir.

They've really cut a lot of corners to get it to this price. Check the official page (Chinese only) https://www.mi.com/buy/detail?product_id=10000226

SATA SSD instead of NVME
Wi-fi 5 instead of 6
HDMI 1.4 instead of 2.0
No webcam

This is a hard pass for me on this release, I'd rather pay a couple hundred more and get this year's Lenovo 15" with AMD Renoir.

xiaomi is like that. Price is usually incredible but details are lacking a lot.
They make things that are awesome for some, unusable for others.

I just hope it's upgradable. SSD & ram problem can be changed later to make it speedy little daily driver.

Being realistic, this thing won't need 4k & 60 FPS. HDMI 2.0 would be a waste for a lot of people, and that's what they absolutely nail. 70% of people will need all there is inside, nothing more. And they get literally nothing more.

Apr 1, 2020

SATA SSD instead of NVME
Wi-fi 5 instead of 6
HDMI 1.4 instead of 2.0
No webcam

I...actually just bought it. No touchscreen, only 8GB of single channel memory, no professional reviews, and newly released...At least there's a 14 day return period.

Why can't the USA get laptops like this? I was publicly lamenting the fact that there are no good sub $1000 laptops, even on sale, you have to compromise in some way, be it abysmal battery life, abysmal graphics, abysmal screen, or any combination of these. These notebooks with 100% AdobeRGB screens and fairly epic specs for under $700 is just...Heck even at $800 it's still epic, assuming the 12 hour battery life is true...

Acer Swift 3: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/acer-swift-3-amd-ryzen

Not the best screen, but hits all the other checkboxes.

Apr 1, 2020
Acer Swift 3: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/acer-swift-3-amd-ryzen

Not the best screen, but hits all the other checkboxes.

Aye, I read that since it was the closest thing to the Lenovo before I bought it. The Lenovo is $900, but supposedly features an all metal chassis as well, plus a better screen and a 50% larger battery in addition to the 100% sRGB screen, but it'd still be nice to know if it were as good as it seems on paper.

dmitche31958

Reputable
Aug 13, 2019
More Chinese crap that sounds sooo good but when you actually use it for more than a week will start to show its true value. If you want to support the communists than bend over and do it.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
No webcam? In these times? Dumb way to cut corners. They undercut the Zephyrus G14 (also an AMD laptop) with the same decision. When are we going to see AMD laptops without dumb compromises?

No webcam? In these times? Dumb way to cut corners. They undercut the Zephyrus G14 (also an AMD laptop) with the same decision. When are we going to see AMD laptops without dumb compromises?

While yes now webcams are completely sold out everywhere due to people doing zoom meetings and teleconferencing. But this made alot more sense before the pandemic where everyone has a cell phone for face chats. I literally never used the webcam on any of my laptops and most people always put a piece of tape over it to cover it up. I'm sure design for these laptops started before the current global situation.

In this case, no webcam means slimmer bezel up top.

Aye, I read that since it was the closest thing to the Lenovo before I bought it. The Lenovo is $900, but supposedly features an all metal chassis as well, plus a better screen and a 50% larger battery in addition to the 100% sRGB screen, but it'd still be nice to know if it were as good as it seems on paper.

Wait... so which one did you actually buy - a Lenovo or this Xiaomi?

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
The RAM is not described properly enough. Whenever some company is silent about the DDR version of RAM, I'm forced to assume that they are using inferior RAM.

Can someone check whether this is DDR3 or DDR4 ? What frequency does it run on?
Are you expecting top of the line memory or any component in a $500 laptop?

Reactions: alextheblue

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
More Chinese crap that sounds sooo good but when you actually use it for more than a week will start to show its true value. If you want to support the communists than bend over and do it.
Agreed - Stop buying cheap chinese knockoffs - boycott AMD / Wal Mart / Harbor Freight

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
While yes now webcams are completely sold out everywhere due to people doing zoom meetings and teleconferencing. But this made alot more sense before the pandemic where everyone has a cell phone for face chats. I literally never used the webcam on any of my laptops and most people always put a piece of tape over it to cover it up. I'm sure design for these laptops started before the current global situation.

In this case, no webcam means slimmer bezel up top.

Perhaps these designs were made before the pandemic, but zoom meetings were already gaining in popularity. I have used my laptop's webcam (a cheap Dell Latitude) only a handful of times before the pandemic, prying off the black tape each time... but those meetings were important and could not have been done otherwise. I guess I can understand the sacrifices made on a budget or gaming laptop, but hope they adjust design for future releases. Especially the Zephyrus, which could easily serve double duty as a workstation laptop.

May 27, 2020
Perhaps these designs were made before the pandemic, but zoom meetings were already gaining in popularity. I have used my laptop's webcam (a cheap Dell Latitude) only a handful of times before the pandemic, prying off the black tape each time... but those meetings were important and could not have been done otherwise. I guess I can understand the sacrifices made on a budget or gaming laptop, but hope they adjust design for future releases. Especially the Zephyrus, which could easily serve double duty as a workstation laptop.

Other manufacturers should take a page out of Dell's playbook with the impossibly thin top bezel while still embedding the camera, at least on the higher end (see new Dell XPS 15)
In the mid-range I think they can still have small bezels and integrate a physical privacy shutter to close the camera. (see Lenovo's implementation)
In the low-end, bring your own electrical tape/ post-in note. But still give me the webcam.

Reactions: PapaCrazy