News AMD Ryzen 4000 Reinvigorates MSI Modern 14 Laptops With a Base Price of $649

May 31, 2020
I'd guess just 60hz refresh from the price point... but since this isn't a "gaming" system, that's not really an issue. Rather, I see this as the literal new standard for an Office/Home Office Ultrabook. Just plug in a USB-C Hub and you're off to the races!

KaihatsuJai

Reputable
Oct 27, 2019
Finally!! Been waiting for a decent APU-only laptop since the E-350. That chip powered most games, and the Asus laptop cost only $500.

MSI's offerings back then were a little more expensive, around this price of $650-750.
I hope this is the beginning of more discreet-only offerings!

So the h/w has my attention.... how is Linux support on MSI laptops? More specifically Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
My friend did used it without major issues.
I think no fingerprint and make sure you have touch pad disable hardware button, or it will be always on.
Also usually there is some magic to be done to have HDMI port. (we had problem with 3d printer though, not sure if printer/20.04 or hardware just yet)
But wait for a review of specific one, as they might have thrown something unique on board. If you want just a daily driver, it should fine.

alextheblue

Distinguished
The Ryzen versions come with two slots, support DDR4-3200 modules, and push the amount of memory supported to 64GB. The renovated design will certainly benefit the APUs and make sure they aren't left starving for bandwidth.
Wow, that's kind of shocking. A mid-range AMD laptop that doesn't have gimped RAM support. You could actually buy a base model and then slap in a couple of 3200 sticks down the road... two real slots, no soldered RAM to get in the way.