AMD Ryzen 5 1400 vs i3 7350k

Solution
The i3 is cheaper than the Ryzen CPU, has better IPC and will clock significantly higher, so in anything which isn't well-threaded, the i3 will destroy the R5. However, encoding is well threaded, and many new games are starting to make use of the extra threads. I expect the i3 would win a lot of gaming benchmarks but will lose in most newer games.

alexsat

Honorable
Jan 16, 2016

The i3 is cheaper than the Ryzen CPU, has better IPC and will clock significantly higher, so in anything which isn't well-threaded, the i3 will destroy the R5. However, encoding is well threaded, and many new games are starting to make use of the extra threads. I expect the i3 would win a lot of gaming benchmarks but will lose in most newer games.

Solution

alexsat

Honorable
Jan 16, 2016

thanks i decided to get the i3 use it for about 5 months then sell it and buy the i7 7700k

agent031693

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015
i3-7350k at $120 right now is outperforming $180 i5-7400 in most every gaming title. And that i5 is nearly on par with an overclocked Ryzen 5 1600 in almost every game. I came across the same question, luckily before I bought the Ryzen. Now a friend of mine has a 1600, he thinks it's the best gaming CPU for the money. I'm going to run some benchmarks to try to prove him wrong. However, he also does video and audio editing, of which surely the Ryzen is King of Value for

TheAK Cube

Commendable
May 31, 2017

The i3 7350k is one of the most pointless CPU's ever made... It is beat by a locked i5 in gaming benchmarks.
This video pretty much sums it up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAGOBO-mvuM

The Ryzen 1400 would be the better buy. You can achieve 3.8 - 4.0GHz with the stock cooler and you'd need a pretty damn good cooler to OC the i3 7350k to 4.7 Ghz if you're lucky.

I personally would not opt for an i3-7350K today, but, since prices have fallen to current levels, they've become semi-attractive (or at least, less 'unattractive, IMO)again, to some; I'd simply get the $300-ish for the 7700K to start with; start with less memory, reuse old storage, GPU, etc, as those can be swapped out afterward as budget permits...

I even tinkered almost a month with NO GPU at my initial build while one was backordered...

agent031693

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015
Neither of those two coolers will get you near the max overclock of that i3-7350k... Very unfortunate. I found one major downside to that chip. When overclocked to 4.8GHz and above, you need a cooler rated at 140tdp or higher. Something like a 280mm aio cooler would be brilliant to pair with it. Good luck!

TheAK Cube

Commendable
May 31, 2017

Just a tip, don't look at synthetic benchmarks, they may give you an idea of what to expect, but there's other stuff to take into consideration. Search for gaming benchmarks if you're into gaming and productivity benchmarks if you're into workstation stuff. Often, a good review includes both productivity and gaming benchmarks. Yes the G4560 is a great buy if you're on a REALLY tight budget. The pentium is beaten by the i3 and r3. However the more background applications you have running, the worse it becomes for them. If you're budget is really low, go Pentium, else just get the R3 or R5 1400. (1600 if you can afford it, <-- best value)

Spank1

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
I've tested and benched all these CPU's (well Ryzens with cores and hyper threading off etc). Anything below a 1600 Ryzen is a waste of time and a well overclocked i3 7350K will easily beat a 4ghz 1600 in most games including CPU heavy titles like Fallout 4.
I was shocked when my i3 wasted my overclocked Haswell i5 which again beats the 4ghz 1600.
I only bought the i3 for £99 to play with and do overclocking competitions but it is much more capable than you would believe, I can game with mine at 5ghz no problem, at that speed it I would say it will wipe out locked Kaby Lake i5's.

The one to buy now is the i3 8350K at £150, bargain gaming CPU at that price. If you are running a stock cooler then you are not a serious user, I haven't used one on my own builds since 2010 as they were rubbish then.

I seem to remember the quad core FX's were crap too, nothings changed.

^ I disagree , compared to yesteryears CPU's yeah the 8350k looks insane value.

Compared to what's actually available now ??
Awful,awful value.
Even if you're totally intel biased & ignore ryzen a 8400+stock cooler is £10 more .

Which is insane.

Essentially a better cpu for less money.

& the stock cooler is fine apart from the whining at heavy load.

Spank1

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

Fair comment if you are going to run stock speeds but I'd take a quad core K series even without a cooler over a stock clock 6 core as I never run stock or use stock coolers. I think K series don't come with a cooler because they know an overclocker won't use them.