Question Amd ryzen 5 2600 high idle temps

Ziemniaczek

Reputable
Mar 18, 2019
Hi, my new CPU have high temps on idle - 40-50C. I have ryzen 5 2600 on asrock b450m pro4 with updated bios. My cooler is SilentiumPC Fortis 3 (220w TDP) and thermal paste prolimatech mk3. Before i have smaller cpu cooler and different thermal paste with same high idle temp. On gaming load i have temps about 50-55C, which is very low. I don't OC my cpu and voltages as default - 1.2-1.35 on idle. I have coolermaster q300l case with 2 push and 2 pull 120mm fans. My ambient room temps is 23-25C. In windows power plan i have 5% min power of cpu. Cpu usage on idle is 1-3%. Why i have so high idle temps?

Ziemniaczek

Reputable
Mar 18, 2019
Where are you reading those temps; what software? And is it reading Tctl or Tdie?
Ryzen Master, A-tuning, hwinfo, afterburner, bios- this programs reads same temps in my PC. Hwinfo showing temp as tctl/tdie, i don't have tctl and tdie temps, only one tctl/tdie.

Last edited:

Ziemniaczek

Reputable
Mar 18, 2019
i have ryzen 2400g my idle voltage goes like 0.75 and max voltage 1.38 what is your temps at gaming?
My gaming temps are 50-55C, which is very low temps.
When i turn windows power plan to energy saving i have on idle 0.7-0.8v, and cpu clock on 1550mhz and lower temps, but i don't understand this high temps at balanced plan (i don't want changing power plan every time before and after gaming).

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
When i turn windows power plan to energy saving i have on idle 0.7-0.8v, and cpu clock on 1550mhz and lower temps, but i don't understand this high temps at balanced plan (i don't want changing power plan every time before and after gaming).
Yeah, gaming temps are fine. That's really all that is important; that load temps don't get out of hand. But the rather high idle temps are curious, especially since you are using balanced plan. What clock speed is the CPU running at idle in balanced plan? Does it down-clock like it is supposed to?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, gaming temps are fine. That's really all that is important; that load temps don't get out of hand. But the rather high idle temps are curious, especially since you are using balanced plan. What clock speed is the CPU running at idle in balanced plan? Does it down-clock like it is supposed to?

Ziemniaczek

Reputable
Mar 18, 2019
Yes, cpu is downclock to 1550 mhz at 1.168v on balanced plan. On power saving clock is the same 1550mhz, but voltage is much lower- 0.7-0.8v. Couple days ago i do reset bios to default. I have latest bios, chipset drivers etc. Maybe i must undervolt this cpu, but for now i only UV two gpu's and i don't know how i can do this on cpu.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You should not have to undervolt the Ryzen. That isn't the problem, although I'm not sure what is. I have built about 8 Ryzen machines now and they all idled in the 30s.

Check out what is running in the background when the machine is at "idle". I suspect you have some pgms using clock cycles you may not be aware of. Watch task master/Performance/Utilization.

Ziemniaczek

Reputable
Mar 18, 2019
Technically, they probably weren't viruses. They were a class of malware. But the end result was still problematic. Do you remember the malware names of the three?
Did you also run a full virus scan and an off line scan?
Yes, first I run malwarebytes antimalware and adwcleaner, later i run full antivirus scan and antivirus found nothing, only antimalware found 3 malwares. Names of malware i don't remeber. Later i will check this in antimalware program.