Question AMD Ryzen 5 3600 high temps with AIO Liquid Cooler

May 6, 2020
Hi everyone.

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU cooled by an Arctic AC Liquid Freezer II 120 and as far as I've seen from the reviews, it's one of the best coolers. At idle the CPU's temperatures are between 50-60°C, and it seems it doesn't want to go below 48°C. When I had it overclocked to 4.2GHz, in games, the temperatures were between 75-90°C, so I changed it to 3.6GHz and it's actually running at 1.26v. I've recently built it so there's little to no dust inside the case.

I started monitoring my temperatures one day when I tried to do a CPU stress test and it reached 103°C and the system shut down. I tried repositioning the cooler, no changes, I reapplied thermal paste (ARCTIC MX-4), nothing helped. I thought maybe the pump is gone, I've seen reviews on Amazon of people who kind of had the same problem, but their idle temps were at 90°C. At touch, the pump vibrates, not so much though. In BIOS, it shows CPU Pump N/A, so I can't change the pump speed or anything like that.

Here's my rig if it helps:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB 3000 MHz CL15 Dual Channel Kit
Storage: Kingston A400 120 GB M.2 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC
PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze

This forum helped me with a lot of problems, so you might help me now too.

What do you think? Thanks in advance...

alexbirdie

Respectable
What case do you have and how many vents are used ?
Airflow in case is very important?
Push or pull for AIO?

I would use at least a very good air-cooler like noctua-15 or a 240-AIO.

You wrote, that you already changed the thermalpaste, reset the cooler and so on.
But it looks for me, that still something is wrong with the cooler mounting
( if your airflow in the case is OK):

I for my build do have a Thermaltake water 3.0 360 sync argb for my 3950x.

May 6, 2020
What case do you have and how many vents are used ?
Airflow in case is very important?
Push or pull for AIO?

I would use at least a very good air-cooler like noctua-15 or a 240-AIO.

You wrote, that you already changed the thermalpaste, reset the cooler and so on.
But it looks for me, that still something is wrong with the cooler mounting
( if your airflow in the case is OK):

I for my build do have a Thermaltake water 3.0 360 sync argb for my 3950x.

I can guarantee that the cooler is mounted correctly.
The case has 3 intake fans 2 exhaust, the cooler's radiator is placed on the top.

Jun 24, 2020
Hi everyone.

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU cooled by an Arctic AC Liquid Freezer II 120 and as far as I've seen from the reviews, it's one of the best coolers. At idle the CPU's temperatures are between 50-60°C, and it seems it doesn't want to go below 48°C. When I had it overclocked to 4.2GHz, in games, the temperatures were between 75-90°C, so I changed it to 3.6GHz and it's actually running at 1.26v. I've recently built it so there's little to no dust inside the case.

I started monitoring my temperatures one day when I tried to do a CPU stress test and it reached 103°C and the system shut down. I tried repositioning the cooler, no changes, I reapplied thermal paste (ARCTIC MX-4), nothing helped. I thought maybe the pump is gone, I've seen reviews on Amazon of people who kind of had the same problem, but their idle temps were at 90°C. At touch, the pump vibrates, not so much though. In BIOS, it shows CPU Pump N/A, so I can't change the pump speed or anything like that.

Here's my rig if it helps:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB 3000 MHz CL15 Dual Channel Kit
Storage: Kingston A400 120 GB M.2 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC
PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze

This forum helped me with a lot of problems, so you might help me now too.

What do you think? Thanks in advance...
bro i had the same problem with ryzen 3600 yesterday.. i reached 93c in idol mode. and the problem was, i didn't apply thermal paste properly. today i bought an aftermarket cooler .. though it was not necessary if i would reapply the paste properly. but now its around 40C in idle mode and 75C during gaming...
my point is.. the amount of thermal paste should not be more or less... processor is cool with the exact amount of paste.. and 3600 is also nice with the stock cooler as well..

It sounds like the AIO may be defective...are you positive you removed the plastic protector on the thermal paste before installing it ? I'd pull it to double check...if you did remove the protector then you need to RMA the AIO anyway so no harm no foul.

May 6, 2020
bro i had the same problem with ryzen 3600 yesterday.. i reached 93c in idol mode. and the problem was, i didn't apply thermal paste properly. today i bought an aftermarket cooler .. though it was not necessary if i would reapply the paste properly. but now its around 40C in idle mode and 75C during gaming...
my point is.. the amount of thermal paste should not be more or less... processor is cool with the exact amount of paste.. and 3600 is also nice with the stock cooler as well..
I will try installing the stock cooler, if it has the same or lower temps, the pump may be dead.

It sounds like the AIO may be defective...are you positive you removed the plastic protector on the thermal paste before installing it ? I'd pull it to double check...if you did remove the protector then you need to RMA the AIO anyway so no harm no foul.
I did remove the plastic protector, because my cousin, the one who helped me build the PC, didn't remove it at first, but I figured it out in time, he's good at building PCs but it can happen even to the best.
I will send the cooler back, see what those guy find out.