Question amd ryzen 5 3600(stock speed) reaching 90 degrees after 5 minutes of gaming?

Aug 29, 2019
hi all, my new ryzen 5 3600 is heating way too much when i game. Am using the stock cooler with an ambient temperature of around 25-27 degrees. My cpu is idling at around 48-50 celsius and when i play the witcher 3 or apex legends my temperature is usually above 80 and spikes up to 90 degrees for a few seconds and goes down again even though i only played for around 5 minutes. (i play on ultra settings). Are these temperatures normal for the stock cooler? i opened my case's side panel and i didnt notice a change in temperature so i doubt its an air flow issue. Is my cpu defective? What mid size coolers do you recommend that will actually lower the temperatures to a safe limit? is deepcool gammax gt good enough to lower it by 20 degrees(the gammax is similar in performance to a cooler master 212).
rest of my components;
gpu: gigabyte rtx 2070 super 8gb
M.b: aorus x570 gaming elite
ram:2*8 3200mhz g skill tridentz

Aug 29, 2019
I've heard the stock cooler is pretty good and should be able to keep the cpu around or below 80
You should try to re-apply thermal paste

read this if you haven't done it before
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-3.html
i think the thermal paste comes pre applied with the third gen ryzen. am not sure though i asked a professional to assemble it for me as its my first pc and i didnt want to mess it up but i checked the mount and it was mounted correctly. i dont know why am getting such high temperatures on a game that isnt very demanding like apex. it even reached 93 degrees for a brief moment after 5 minutes of gameplay!!!!!!!

Sep 11, 2019
I am also facing this same problem....cpu on idle showing 45-60c, Frequency 4.04 although there is no load ,voltage 1.4 v when i am running cb20 temp r 94c and voltage is decreasing to 1.3 also the frequency.

Solution i found
Disabling the core boost( frequency 3.6 lock)
Or setting the pbo to eco mode in bios(no frequencylock .....temp will be less)

Dont know this is a bios problem or stock cooler is not sufficient... i am new to amd

I am also facing this same problem....cpu on idle showing 45-60c, Frequency 4.04 although there is no load ,voltage 1.4 v when i am running cb20 temp r 94c and voltage is decreasing to 1.3 also the frequency.

Solution i found
Disabling the core boost( frequency 3.6 lock)
Or setting the pbo to eco mode in bios(no frequencylock .....temp will be less)

Dont know this is a bios problem or stock cooler is not sufficient... i am new to amd

PBO is essentially overclocking in that it will allow the cpu to run until it reaches either a thermal or power limit...I would not run PBO on the stock cooler...others will likely disagree but I don't feel the slight gain in performance is worth the extra heat the cpu is subjected to using the stock cooler.

Sep 11, 2019
In my msi mobo disabling the pbo in overclocking section does not fixed the temp and voltage issue .I found on amd community that disabling the core boost fixing this problem in msi boards.