Question AMD Ryzen 5 5600G - CPU voltage and frequency fluctuates on idle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
Hi all,

I have build a whole new PC couple of days ago. Everything fresh and new and out of the box. Nothing OCed.

Motherboard: AOURS B450 Elite v2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz Kingston Fury Beast
PSU: MWE CoolerMaster 700W
SSD : 480GB Kingston
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660

I have a problem where I noticed via AIDA64 and CPU-Z and HW Monitor all of them [to be sure] that I have big CPU voltage and frequency fluctuates on idle.
Like Voltage is from 0,924v to 1,126v and Clocks 2994Mhz up to 3114Mhz.

Keep in mind that when I run AIDA64 stress test the voltage jumps to 1,218v and Clock to 3897Mhz CONSTANT !

The temp on idle are max 38C and on full load AIDA64 test its max 64C.

I researched for days to check if this is okay, as I see very big FPS spikes in my games and I really don't like that as I payed a pretty good amount of $ for this build.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi all,

I have build a whole new PC couple of days ago. Everything fresh and new and out of the box. Nothing OCed.

Motherboard: AOURS B450 Elite v2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz Kingston Fury Beast
PSU: MWE CoolerMaster 700W
SSD : 480GB Kingston
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660

I have a problem where I noticed via AIDA64 and CPU-Z and HW Monitor all of them [to be sure] that I have big CPU voltage and frequency fluctuates on idle.
Like Voltage is from 0,924v to 1,126v and Clocks 2994Mhz up to 3114Mhz.

Keep in mind that when I run AIDA64 stress test the voltage jumps to 1,218v and Clock to 3897Mhz CONSTANT !

The temp on idle are max 38C and on full load AIDA64 test its max 64C.

I researched for days to check if this is okay, as I see very big FPS spikes in my games and I really don't like that as I payed a pretty good amount of $ for this build.
That is normal for the clock speeds to jump around a bit and that makes the voltage go up with the clock speed.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Hitting 4.65 is great, but, 4.6Ghz is the rated max clock.

One other thing about fixing it at any clock is the CPU cores never get a chance to idle down to really low clocks, with the energy saving that comes with it. Makes it questionable about any 'life time' improving it does, more likely to degrade life if anything. Ryzen has a lot of better ways to de-rate the boost algorithm and still allow it to hit low clocks whenever it can.
If downclocking to 100-200 Mhz isn't downclocking, I don't know what is. Mine hits 4.65 Ghz with PBO. Could be down to cooling, 240mm Corsair AIO.

If downclocking to 100-200 Mhz isn't downclocking, I don't know what is. Mine hits 4.65 Ghz with PBO. Could be down to cooling, 240mm Corsair AIO.
The idea is to not run with a fixed clock, 4.4Ghz constantly is a lot higher than three or four cores being periodically turned completely off (C6) while gaming.

Good cooling is indeed making a difference. The boost algorithm pushes harder so it's bound to be able to hit a higher clock and hold it longer when working really hard with unchanged thermal limits .

Last edited:

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
That is normal for the clock speeds to jump around a bit and that makes the voltage go up with the clock speed.

As I said on the beginning, it is non stop fluctuating from 2,9Ghz to 4,4Ghz ... no timeout yet its on idle , to be more precise its not going like : (from 2,9ghz to a bit of 3,4ghz then back the to 3,6, 3,7 etc) -> No, no, its literally just doing the 2,9ghz and jump to 4,4Ghz only those to ... up and down , up and down and voltages as well from 0,9V to 1,4V

:/ All that is on idle state

I am running nothing but HWiINFO64.

When I ran the AIDA64 Extreme stress test, it is on 100% [full load] constant 4,4Ghz and 1,35V and 72c temp.

I dont want overclocking, just the normal and good functioning.

IMPORTANT:

The info above I shared is with everything in BIOS on default [AUTO] and PBO on Disabled
NOTE:
My bios settings have 3 options : 1. AUTO / 2. NORMAL / 3. Manual setting [like the clocks volts etc] ... by bios default its sett all on AUTO

Is this a new fresh windows install?
Not a reset or refresh or repair?
How many background apps do you have running? Programs that start with windows and run in the background until opened.
Do
CTRL/ALT/DELETE
Choose Task manager .
Go to the start up tab near top.
What all is running on start up?

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
Is this a new fresh windows install?
Not a reset or refresh or repair?
How many background apps do you have running? Programs that start with windows and run in the background until opened.
Do
CTRL/ALT/DELETE
Choose Task manager .
Go to the start up tab near top.
What all is running on start up?

All is clear, it is a new fresh og Windows 10. Up to date.
With new up to date BIOS and drivers.

All the unneeded start up programs/tasks and services are disabled.
Only Windows Def and Nvidia Control panel and discord are running in the bg

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
What you describe is a normal and good functioning Ryzen system that is not overclocked.

What is it you DO want that's different?

That I dont have 100fps drop spikes in games after putting everything on auto and default aka normal.

P.S had that spikes even on 60 FPS Fixed with V sync , tried with of, checked monitor mhz = to fps I tried all combinations and still have the spikes, keep in mind they are not often maybe 2 max per game. In different games as well not only one.

With discord running in the background you are not "IDLE" so the processor will never drop to "Idle" because you have a program running in the background.
It is running as normal. The only difference is you do not see the user interface.
So you have one or 2 cores boosting and dropping constantly.

EVERY game has hugely varying frame rates.
Unless it is coded to run a certain FPS or changed in game or drivers.
It cane be caused by many things.
What exact games?
Are they single player or online?
What internet connection are you using? Wifi or Ethernet?
Max settings? or optimized for your mid range video card?
Your problem sounds more internet or running out of video ram usage related.
Run this and post a link to the results page.
Terrible benchmark, but it tells us how each component in your system is running.

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
With discord running in the background you are not "IDLE" so the processor will never drop to "Idle" because you have a program running in the background.
It is running as normal. The only difference is you do not see the user interface.
So you have one or 2 cores boosting and dropping constantly.

EVERY game has hugely varying frame rates.
Unless it is coded to run a certain FPS or changed in game or drivers.
It cane be caused by many things.
What exact games?
Are they single player or online?
What internet connection are you using? Wifi or Ethernet?
Max settings? or optimized for your mid range video card?
Your problem sounds more internet or running out of video ram usage related.
Run this and post a link to the results page.
Terrible benchmark, but it tells us how each component in your system is running.

Its multiplayer online games, DOTA2 , Heroes of Newerth, Heroes of The Storm.
Using eth cable router is newly set and configured.

RESULT:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47490027

P.S.

SO, all in all, the big fluctuations I have with the clocks and the temps and voltages that are constantly going whey up and down is TOATLLY normal and okay and not damaging nor my performance nor the component it self ???

Last edited:

larkspur

Distinguished
Looking at the benchmark results - it reports you are only using one single stick of RAM. Is that correct? Your CPU has a dual-channel memory controller and so you should be installing RAM in pairs of sticks. So 2 sticks of identical RAM. Or 4 sticks of identical RAM. If you only have one stick of RAM installed then your RAM is running in single channel mode. This negatively impacts your RAMs performance. That being said, your system appears to be benchmarking just fine. Just be aware that you should have installed TWO sticks of identical RAM. So if you wanted 16gb total then you install TWO 8gb sticks. They sell RAM in matched kits of two sticks per kit. That's what you should have bought. (For all I know the benchmark was reporting your RAM configuration wrong... if you do have two sticks installed then you're fine and not losing any RAM performance...)

ALL of it is normal and how you would expect Ryzen to perform. Not damaging ,perfectly fine.

But you have one big problem.
You have a single stick of ram. Ryzen needs 2 sticks in dual channel to perform at its best.
So by hampering the cpu with one stick of ram you drop performance on everything that depends on it.
It can make a 15-20% difference in processor performance and will most likely eliminate the frame drops by going with 2 matched modules.

But please buy a matched kit with 2 sticks in one package. Place them in the 2nd and 4th slots away from the processor..

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
ALL of it is normal and how you would expect Ryzen to perform. Not damaging ,perfectly fine.

But you have one big problem.
You have a single stick of ram. Ryzen needs 2 sticks in dual channel to perform at its best.
So by hampering the cpu with one stick of ram you drop performance on everything that depends on it.
It can make a 15-20% difference in processor performance and will most likely eliminate the frame drops by going with 2 matched modules.

But please buy a matched kit with 2 sticks in one package. Place them in the 2nd and 4th slots away from the processor..

Okay so my current ram is in A1 slot.
Please if possible be specific what slots should i occupy. My mother board is AOURUS B450 ELITE V2

larkspur

Distinguished
Reactions: Unolocogringo

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
After some testing here are the results.

On max load via AIDA64 Extreme stress test:

Max CPU Temp: 71c
All cores go on 4,1Ghz constant with 1,32V constant.

I will see this days how the games behave etc.

Here is the new benchmark result after placing the new RAM sticks [P.S its same one as the one before but 2x8GB DDR 3200Mhz XMP]:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47497585

I see comparing to the last result a fine amount of progress for CPU SSD and RAM now :D

But what interest me what does it mean when it says for GPU: "Performing below potential (74th percentile)" ??? 🤔

But what interest me what does it mean when it says for GPU: "Performing below potential (74th percentile)" ??? 🤔

More precisely...what it's telling you is there are a lot of people owning a similar GPU who don't mind overclocking theirs to the limits of stability and then make a lot of runs in an effort get the highest results for bragging rights. They either don't care that their card will burn out in a few months or tune it back down after hitting whatever goal they had so that it doesn't.

Just one more of the many reasons it's worthless.

Oct 30, 2021
That is perfectly normal operation for Ryzen CPU's. It boosts agressively to max rated clocks (4.4Ghz for 5600G) from "idle".

But it's also not idle. Windows is never idle, the OS is always doing something in the background. There's over 150 processes with 2200 execution threads on my system right now, at any time one of them will wake up and 'do' something and the CPU responds by boosting a core to max clock to get it done fast and go back to sleep.

When it boosts, it spikes in temps too. Watch the CPU Die Average temp in HWInfo, which averages the spikes to see the true thermal output.

Your CPU seems to be running spot on like it should.

EDIT add:
And I would not worry about those temps at all. The CPU is rated with Tjmax of 95c, although it's desireable to run in the 70-80c range in heavy work loads to keep it boosting to higher clocks. Putting really good cooling on a Ryzen CPU is almost like overclocking.

I wouldnt worry about it ryzen cpus tend to boost to the extremes. Make sure you you have an adequate cooler i have a 5950x
And min will boost from 3.4 to 5.0 and some change voltage also goes up and down alot download a app called hardware monitor it shows average low and high. Restore your bios to default. And only adjust the ram speed . Make sure your mb has up to date bios drivers . If you have a 9 series cpu a stock cooler will be in adequate , how much ram are you using? That can cause more fluctuation. In windows if the cpu has to work harder during stress tests.
I also have a gaming laptop with a 5900hx . The thermals normally rest at 50c and raise to 70 -80c when pushing the cpu. My tower has a noctua , 15D cooler and thermals on that in a corsair case are42-74c with the fans all the way up . . Its boosts alot stop worrying and enjoy your performance cpu. Ryzen chips dont overclock well and underclocking may gimp the chip . If your worried adjust the thermals on the fan curve in your software.

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
@larkspur Hmm I tested on games and even played offline just to be sure its not the internet, still have that FPS spike drops like for 1,2 second from 124 FPS to 17fps 🤔

Its fascinating for me how it is as I understood NORMAL that the VCORE voltage is fluctuating like crazy, from 0,089V to 1,4V ... to me thats MENTAL XD
FYI @drea.drechsler @Unolocogringo

Last edited:

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
@Unolocogringo Please when possible read the last message before this one would like to hear your opinion.

And also I have bought the Cooler Master 212 EVO you told me, but now I dont know how to place it in the PC because the CPU power cable from the PSU is not as long as enought to manage it around the components but it must touch the cooler it self to get to the port
:/

Pictures would help in this case. Cable management is an art but some times requires compromises .

Can you post pictures to imgur or another site and link to them here?
Can you tell us exactly which games have this in them.
Some games require an internet connection even in single player mode and can affect game play.
I

lukakalis99

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
Pictures would help in this case. Cable management is an art but some times requires compromises .

Can you post pictures to imgur or another site and link to them here?
Can you tell us exactly which games have this in them.
Some games require an internet connection even in single player mode and can affect game play.
I

I have installed the cooler master evo 212 successfully. But I have ran the AIDA 64 Extreme stress test and got this weird temp spikes on the CPU.

FYI not on CPU Diode temp but on CPU regular:

See the picture : View: https://imgur.com/a/8FVORWA

FYI: those couple of spikes are like for a second not more

Regarding the video games they are :
DOTA 2
Heroes of Newearth
Heroes of The Storm

I have installed the cooler master evo 212 successfully. But I have ran the AIDA 64 Extreme stress test and got this weird temp spikes on the CPU.

FYI not on CPU Diode temp but on CPU regular:

See the picture : View: https://imgur.com/a/8FVORWA

FYI: those couple of spikes are like for a second not more

Regarding the video games they are :
DOTA 2
Heroes of Newearth
Heroes of The Storm
Probably an artifact or flaw in Aida64's monitoring.

Run HWInfo64 at the same time and graph CPU Die (average) temp and CPU (Tctl/Tdie) sensors and compare to those. I'd trust HWInfo first...but you also have to understand the difference between those two readouts, just hover over the sensor names and read.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021
Thats normal. Its boosting my laptop does it and all its doing is sitting there its probably windows in the background it gets the job done then goes back to idle. Usually out of sleep mode or after i surf the web.