News AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Review: The Mainstream Knockout

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
whos prices being to high?
it was OK FOR INTEL to do it, but its NOT ok for AMD to do the SAME THING. compared to now, i rarely heard people crying about intels prices YOY pre zen. AMD raises theirs by 50 bucks, going from zen 2 to zen 3 and most are having a cow over it.
What matters today in the purchasing decision isn't the price a year ago but the price today.

Last edited:
Also on these benches if you go above 1080 intel is still faster with the 10600k being faster at 1440 and that (not quite) $50 cheaper
Ummmm the geometric mean chart proves that wrong. The 5600X was faster than any 10th Gen in stock vs stock at 1440p. When OCd to 5GHz the 10600K was faster than the 5600X stock, by 1 fps. Once PBO is activated on the 5600X it once again goes in front of the 10600K @ 5GHz by 4 fps.

@$300 I could drive to local Microcenter and buy a 9900K which humiliated the 5900x and thus by inference every AMD CPU in 13 game average in TH review of the 6800xt. Did I mention it would drop into my existing z390 motherboard which supports up to 4400 OC memory and would love my existing H115i AIO cooler.

Curiously the 9900k is was missing from this review even though it is still readily available.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/the-amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-rx-6800-review
They used a different means of getting the fps between the 2 reviewers. Had both used the same way the 9900K would have slotted into the same position as the 10700K in this review. Also there is no need for the 9900K as there is the 10700K in this review. The 10700K has a higher base and boost clock as well as the ability to boost for longer periods of time compared to the 9900K. Overall the performance would be close but the 9900K would be behind the 10700K. Therefore no reason to have that CPU in the chart.

Reactions: javiindo

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
@$300 I could drive to local Microcenter and buy a 9900K which humiliated the 5900x and thus by inference every AMD CPU in 13 game average in TH review of the 6800xt. Did I mention it would drop into my existing z390 motherboard which supports up to 4400 OC memory and would love my existing H115i AIO cooler.

Curiously the 9900k is was missing from this review even though it is still readily available.

Microcenter is a special case. Since the vast majority of folks can't simply drive down there and grab a CPU, and MC doesn't sell processors online, their pricing is largely irrelevant. What is completely irrelevant to everyone who is not you is your specific hardware setup.

Lastly, if these charts represent a humiliation, you and I have very different understandings of what that word means.

NJC3foLyv9ZgizGQZa82nD-1544-80.png

vTamCguaypDXFMyD5adshC-1544-80.png

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
They used a different means of getting the fps between the 2 reviewers. Had both used the same way the 9900K would have slotted into the same position as the 10700K in this review. Also there is no need for the 9900K as there is the 10700K in this review. The 10700K has a higher base and boost clock as well as the ability to boost for longer periods of time compared to the 9900K. Overall the performance would be close but the 9900K would be behind the 10700K. Therefore no reason to have that CPU in the chart.
Sorry but you are wrong. The reason for inclusion is that the 9900k is in stock and can be purchased for the exact same price as a 5600x ie $300.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Microcenter is a special case. Since the vast majority of folks can't simply drive down there and grab a CPU, and MC doesn't sell processors online, their pricing is largely irrelevant. What is completely irrelevant to everyone who is not you is your specific hardware setup.

Lastly, if these charts represent a humiliation, you and I have very different understandings of what that word means.
Actually over half of the US population is probably within an afternoon's drive of a Microcenter. You can reserve in stock product online before leaving home to pick up.

Make no mistake, those charts were a humiliation for AMD. The 2 year old now discontinued $300 9900k beat AMD new and best CPUs both with Nvidia cards as well as AMD's newest top GPUs despite AMD's smart memory access.

Putting my setup and the fact that a 9900k would slot right into my setup was a tweak to all the AMD fanboys that love that new AMD CPUs will work even though at a 1-4% performance hit with their old motherboards. Guess it hit a nerve.

Last edited:

javiindo

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019

Humiliated? I think they are all very equal in gaming.

Also your case is a very specific case. Don't tell me you recommend to buy a 9900K to someone who already has a B5XX motherboard ;-).

I think we should not compare a 9900K to a 5600X. Why?
  • 9900K is a very specific deal with limited stock and limited to some days. It will be rarer with time.
  • 9900K needs a cooler and a big one.
  • 9900K needs a big case to fit the big cooler.
  • 9900K TDP is 95W, reaching 200W and 250 when overclocked.
  • 9900K needs a good Z390 motherboard.
  • 9900K doenst have upper models, from a 5600X you can go till a 5950X.
Just my opinion. :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Gurg
You are an 'odd man out' here. Unfortunately, you don't represent the average user.
You know what's required for smooth operation with a 9900K: the degree of cooling and motherboard quality required. It's gone down in price, but still requires exotic cooling and a good motherboard.
The Average Joes don't/won't know this - and what happens? Very often, they 'splurge' on one thing(9900K), and then try to cheap out on the rest.
No need to tell you that won't end well with this cpu.

AMD has more to offer; they won't get bitten for pairing cheaper coolers and motherboards with their cpu.

Reactions: javiindo

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
What matters today in the purchasing decision isn't the price a year ago but the price today.
what matters is your beloved intel was perfectly fine to raise its prices over the years, but its not ok for amd to do the same , now that they have the performance crown. a double standard right there.
and the today, AMD is the better buy, vs intel.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
Actually over half of the US population is probably within an afternoon's drive of a Microcenter. You can reserve in stock product online before leaving home to pick up.

Make no mistake, those charts were a humiliation for AMD. The 2 year old now discontinued $300 9900k beat AMD new and best CPUs both with Nvidia cards as well as AMD's newest top GPUs despite AMD's smart memory access.

Putting my setup and the fact that a 9900k would slot right into my setup was a tweak to all the AMD fanboys that love that new AMD CPUs will work even though at a 1-4% performance hit with their old motherboards. Guess it hit a nerve.

You could be right re: the US pop. and MC. Doesn't help the 200,000,000 people in the other half of the population, or those outside the US. (Although one could pay an extra $20 over MC pricing at Newegg at time of post, though. Pretty good deal, and probably what I'd do if buying today).

Agree to disagree on what a humiliation is, I guess. Feel free to ignore the results from this review, and others, if the slight Intel win you highlighted makes you feel better.

A nerve was indeed struck, but not the one you think. It's the one that pings when someone cherry-picks which data they'll accept in order to bolster their existing conclusion. I'm by no means immune, but what do I know? I haven't bought an AMD processor since 2004 and am, for some reason, arguing with what appears to be a troll.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Humiliated? I think they are all very equal in gaming.

Also your case is a very specific case. Don't tell me you recommend to buy a 9900K to someone who already has a B5XX motherboard ;-).

I think we should not compare a 9900K to a 5600X. Why?
  • 9900K is a very specific deal with limited stock and limited to some days. It will be rarer with time.
  • 9900K needs a cooler and a big one.
  • 9900K needs a big case to fit the big cooler.
  • 9900K TDP is 95W, reaching 200W and 250 when overclocked.
  • 9900K needs a good Z390 motherboard.
  • 9900K doenst have upper models, from a 5600X you can go till a 5950X.
Just my opinion. :)
I remember earlier in the year there was a report that AMD said this CPU was the last that would be backward compatible with earlier motherboards as they were bringing out a new socket for the next CPU generation. That would make these new AMD CPUs and compatible M/Bs therefore end of the line just like the 9900k and z390. The 10 series Intel has Rocket Lake coming in spring and then the z490 motherboards are also end of the line with a new socket the following generation.

Have limited funds for PC upgrades each year? Do you really want to spend big bucks now on a two year top tier CPU & M/B or instead use it to upgrade other PC components like monitors, AIO coolers or GPUs. Choose Wisely!

Have lots of money to pay top dollar to upgrade now and again in two years, go for it!

Last edited:

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
Have limited funds for PC upgrades each year? Do you really want to spend big bucks now on a two year top tier CPU & M/B
um gurg, what do you think intel has practically, and pretty much done for the last few years ? EACH new gen they bring out, is only good for 2 cpu releases, then they release a new socket for the next gen. but yet, people still bought them. for the most part, amd has supported a socket for quite a bit longer then that, before they change the socket. the cpu's supported by each socket may not be from the very 1st one, to the last, but at least they supported it longer.

quite frankly, its a little difficult to see what your whole reply was trying to say.

Have lots of money to pay top dollar to upgrade now and again in two years, go for it!
heh, im considering upgrading my just bought in march/april 3900x, to a 5900x, and thats not even a year :) but considering i upgraded from an X99/5930k that i bought in late 2015, the 3900x or 5900x will probably be what i would be running till 2025 or so.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I'm looking forward to the time when the current demand for Epyc is saturated so more chiplets can be redirected towards Ryzen. Then we'll see more (cheaper) Ryzen SKUs and possibly a bit of a price cut to the current SKUs.
Right now is a good time to buy Zen 2!