Review AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Review: The Mainstream Knockout

Dec 12, 2020
Why is not having integrated graphics listed as a con?

If you're buying basically the top gaming processor why in the world would you ever consider using integrated graphics.

If anything, it's a pro that it doesn't have integrated graphics as this way you're not paying for something you'd never use.

glitch00

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2013

If you're buying basically the top gaming processor why in the world would you ever consider using integrated graphics.

If anything, it's a pro that it doesn't have integrated graphics as this way you're not paying for something you'd never use.
Because not everyone will be buying it for gaming. Tom's Hardware does application benchmarks after all.

Lack of integrated graphics is a dealbreaker for me. I need something that can run multiple VMs for my ITX system and I care a lot about idle power consumption so having integrated graphics is super beneficial. I suppose AMD isn't as focused on the HTPC community since their latest APUs are OEM only. So for now, have no choice but to wait for Rocket Lake / Alder Lake / Cezanne .

Reactions: panathas

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017

I used to think Intel iGPUs were a con, but when they left them out the price didn't really change

Droidfreak

Reputable
May 30, 2020
www.linkedin.com
Much of Ryzen’s early success stemmed from industry-leading core counts and plenty of freebies for enthusiasts, like bundled coolers and unrestricted overclockability paired with broad compatibility.
"Bundled cooler" and "enthusiasts" used in one sentence? I guess we need to rethink the definition of "enthusiasts" 😁

Reactions: LeiHeJun

dennphill

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
From an old man that probably nobody listens to...I think AMD is laughing all the way to the bank on this price increase for the 5600X and its shortage. (I suspect they will intentionally keep stocks down to milk this shortage for all they can get!) For one, though I really liked and have always been a supporter of AMD, in this case there is no way - less a price drop to around $250 or so in the next few months - I would ever buy one of these. In protest, I woun't even consider a 3600X or a 3700X no mattert how they lower the price. I will just protest by going back to Intel when i decide I need to upgrade. AMD be cursed to the lowest level of Dante's Inferno for this trickery. That's my take on this "Knockout."

Reactions: fly0nthewall

ozzuneoj

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2012
So now we're calling a $299 CPU mainstream?

When the 3600 was by far the best CPU purchase 4-5 months ago and was down to $165, what was it? Entry level??

The 5600X offers amazing performance at what used to be i7 prices... But I wouldn't call it mainstream.

Reactions: panathas
anyone else notice the typo on page 2 3rd paragraph?
"Corsair H115i 280mm air cooler "

was unaware they had an air cooler sharing same name as their aio :sneaky:

When the 3600 was by far the best CPU purchase 4-5 months ago and was down to $165, what was it? Entry level??
yes.
it was the best overall cpu and everyone recommended it for balance of work and gaming.

compare its price to the price intel was use to charging for its chips.

angiven time the 5600x WILL drop to prolly around $200 which is crazy good.

D

Deleted member 14196

From an old man that probably nobody listens to...I think AMD is laughing all the way to the bank on this price increase for the 5600X and its shortage. (I suspect they will intentionally keep stocks down to milk this shortage for all they can get!) For one, though I really liked and have always been a supporter of AMD, in this case there is no way - less a price drop to around $250 or so in the next few months - I would ever buy one of these. In protest, I woun't even consider a 3600X or a 3700X no mattert how they lower the price. I will just protest by going back to Intel when i decide I need to upgrade. AMD be cursed to the lowest level of Dante's Inferno for this trickery. That's my take on this "Knockout."

You are free to do whatever silly thing you want to do. The competition has been raping the public for years and you’re going to go back to them? Have fun Wasting your time and your money and getting far less performance

Reactions: mikie tim t
first bit:
you realize AMD gets the base cost paid and not the scalped prices right?

they LOSE $ by purposeful keeping stock low.
It has no benefit for them.

it's a bad time for tech (covid making worse than normal) and they have their cpu, gpu, and 2 consoles using their stuff.

fabs only have limited amount per customer.

second bit:

claism to be supporter of amd yet disses em for wanting to raise rpice a tiny bit when their cpu are THE best ones out?

and then saying you are goign back intel in future? THE intel who price gouged EVERYONE for a decade? they had price increase EVERY generation. on top of new MB required AND small increases in performance. (whereas ryzen 5000 is a HUGE increase for 1 generation)

forget supported your talking liek an intel fanboy.

"I dont like price increase for great performance so ill go to the company who nickle and dimes everyone every new cpu worse than amd ever has"

Mar 31, 2020
I'm a little bit confused: In my country the best price for a 5600X is 430 euro. The best price for a Core i7-10700K is 355 euro. The 5600X should be cheaper or I'm wrong?

montyw47

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
The 5600X is listed as $299 US Dollars. .Why announce a CPU chip when there is NO SUPPLY? I think it is a way for those people who got the first batch of the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU to gouge the public by overcharging on eBay.com by $100 or more over list price.

Dec 28, 2020

first bit:
you realize AMD gets the base cost paid and not the scalped prices right?

they LOSE $ by purposeful keeping stock low.
It has no benefit for them.

it's a bad time for tech (covid making worse than normal) and they have their cpu, gpu, and 2 consoles using their stuff.

fabs only have limited amount per customer.

second bit:

claism to be supporter of amd yet disses em for wanting to raise rpice a tiny bit when their cpu are THE best ones out?

and then saying you are goign back intel in future? THE intel who price gouged EVERYONE for a decade? they had price increase EVERY generation. on top of new MB required AND small increases in performance. (whereas ryzen 5000 is a HUGE increase for 1 generation)

forget supported your talking liek an intel fanboy.

"I dont like price increase for great performance so ill go to the company who nickle and dimes everyone every new cpu worse than amd ever has"

Ohoo street economist? What are you basing on writing this?
Do you understand that thousands of people are reading this?
Not that I'm M.Sc., but I think my brain works better.
I set up an account specifically to reply to your post, be grateful.

You have to understand something - we are talking about corporation, and corporation is all about one thing - profit.
Hundreds and thousands of professionals working for the corporation create business plans for MANY YEARS that have a direct impact on the economy WORLDWIDE.
And you, a little man who thinks what processor to buy to better spend the saved money, what do you think you are doing criticizing others, as if you were an expert on the subject, scientist, engineer and economist with the capabilities and knowledge equal to the global corporation? Who do you think you are? Go to school. And if you're an adult, it's a shame.

Next time, take a good example from me and use phrases like "In my opinion", "I believe" or "I may be wrong, but".

In my opinion yes, they gain, and a lot in addition.

Why do I think so? Because if the stock was full and the price stuck to what was recommended on the amd website, even if there was a price increase, I believe it would probably be 5-10%, they would not be able to suddenly jump 50%. However, due to what is happening now, changes in prices may be much greater and no one will be outraged.
For the new r5 3600 you paid even 140 earlier, if then there were 5600x for 350 who would buy it? But the price was gradually rising because there were no stocks, 160, 180.. then 200.. 220.. and now madness in the world, you can even find it for 300, 400 or even 500. At this point, 5600x for 300 comes and what's going on? People buy it like hot cakes, even for 350, and others like you defend the amd with their hands and feet and yell at others for any criticism.
Price is what the consumer is happy or able to pay. If people were happy to pay 1k for r5 5600x, then I think amd would set the price to 1k.

Do you understand now?

And that's not all, I may be wrong, but it is supposed to appear 5600 without x, and the rest of the inventory, like 5700x, 5400G, 5100 etc. Previously it could be cheap, but after all, what will happen? They will be more expensive and the amd will earn extra money on each chip, do you have any idea how much money is this when it comes to selling worldwide?

Do you understand now?

Also, why didn't they come with 5600x, 5800x, 5900x and 5950x? Because amd put up what they want to be sold.
Previously, few people bought the 3600x because at its price, the increase in performance over 3600 was unprofitable, and what is happening now? Amd didn't even release 5600 :)

And for those who buy 3000 series chips now, they will think about the upgrade much faster than those who overpay for 5000 series, whatever you do - amd gains.

Do you understand now?

All right, now apologize to this gentleman (I'm talking about dennphill) and thank me politely for broadening your worldview, it should be to your advantage, even if I'm wrong somewhere.

Dec 29, 2020
Is anyone able to clarify for me the 5600X PBO results in the benchmark graphs? Is it just the stock 5600X clock and PBO speeds but with the boosted RAM? That's the only thing I could gather because I didn't see anything about OC'ing the boosted clock.

Last edited: