News AMD Ryzen 5 5600X vs Intel Core i5-11600K: Mid-Range Rocket Lake and Ryzen 5000 CPU Face Off

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 18, 2021
Great piece, but I find it remarkable that you give no attention to the difference of L3 cache size. As usual with comparing CPUs with vs. without iGPU, the one with iGPU makes a significant tradeoff by losing a lot of L3 cache so the graphics blocks can be fitted in the same die space. This is also true for the recently-announced Ryzen 5000G APU series which add Vega graphics at the cost of halving the L3 from 32MB to 16MB (and that's still better than the 11600K's 12MB).

In theory, a smaller L3 should make a difference for applications that are both memory-intensive and multithreaded (single-threaded apps will hardly be limited by DRAM access unless they are poorly written). I guess your set of benchmarks doesn't have much code of that kind. This is more often relevant for server applications that also have either a lot of RAM and/or 10G+ ethernet: database servers with huge caches, webservers that handle thousands of requests/s. These CPUs are not targeted at servers, but some desktop/consumer applications will also benefit a lot from a large L3. For example software development tools, my IDEs and build daemons typically use 10-20GB heaps and they are all written in Java which has the problem that Garbage Collection frequently scanning the whole damn thing with bad locality (~random access patterns) and with stringent latency limits. And GC doesn't do any significant work other than scanning and copying data, so performance is close to 1:1 to memory access. Benchmarks like Cinebench or POV-ray will not care much about cache since they are CPU-bound even if they use large datasets. For common users, web browsers with their multi-gigabyte heaps and complex Javascript apps are another likely example of memory-limited app once pageload ends and the poor thing has to handle your 187 open tabs.

If you're on the market for a CPU and you plan to pair it to a top-class dedicated GPU but you can't afford the latter right now, I wouldn't buy an APU, I'd rather get the best CPU that fits the budget, and I mean one that has a full-size L3 cache for its class (core/thread count), and get some entry-level/mediocre GPU (which will probably perform no worse than the best iGPUs). After the supply crisis is over and you can buy that screaming GPU, ebay the temp GPU if it's still worth anything. Do not risk the buyer's remorse of eventually being stuck with a system that has only 37% of the L3 it should have, or even 50% like the 5000G.

Reactions: helper800
Apr 20, 2021
We take a close look at the Intel Core i5-11600K vs AMD Ryzen 5 5600X rivalry and put the chips through a six-round faceoff.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X vs Intel Core i5-11600K: Mid-Range Rocket Lake and Ryzen 5000 CPU Face Off : Read more
I don't get the price issues with the AMD Ryzen 5600X as I can easily purchase this at my local shop for 320 US equivalent as I live in Canada. Five or more in stock at the local store and also at the 27 other locations they have country wide. New egg seems to be out of stock unless you bundle it which is shady, and one of the reasons why I have stopped buying from them!

NP

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2015
I can't understand how 11900K can have higher framerate @1440p than @1080p in Red Dead Redemption 2? That just shouldn't be possible, right? How can a CPU compute more of the same thing faster than less of the same thing?

Reactions: helper800
I can't understand how 11900K can have higher framerate @1440p than @1080p in Red Dead Redemption 2? That just shouldn't be possible, right? How can a CPU compute more of the same thing faster than less of the same thing?
If this is the case I would suspect there is something wrong with the game or blame the 11900k because it so new because new things tend to have growing pains early after release.