Question AMD Ryzen 5900x Auto OC mode is smh

Dec 25, 2020
so uh in december i've built my new pc and here are the main specs
Gigabyte B550 AORUS MASTER
AMD Ryzen 5900x
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32gb 3600

Right now i dont wanna mess with it and learn how to manually OC my Ryzen so i've just put it to auto oc mode and there is only one question.
Whatever kind of load it is like game, benchmark or After Effects/Media Encoder Ryzen's clock speed won't go over 4300. Does it have to be like that or i have to do something with it.
PBO Was set by Ryzen Master to Advanced all of it's parameters are set to auto. Max boost clock override is set to 100 MHz.
JsPZQK2.png

Last edited:

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
How high can you turn your PPT, TDC and EDC? Try Scalar 4x too, it might boost it higher (Try if you have a really really good cooler)

Also the Maximum.... is only on one core. It's their marketing 'strategy'. TBH, you'd be lucky if you find a software that can auto push Core 0 to 5GHz+

Dec 25, 2020
How high can you turn your PPT, TDC and EDC? Try Scalar 4x too, it might boost it higher (Try if you have a really really good cooler)

Also the Maximum.... in only on one core. It's their marketing 'strategy'. TBH, you'd be lucky if you find a software that can auto push Core 0 to 5GHz+
I have EKWB EK-AIO 360. Is that enough. With my curves settings it won't get hotter than 71 °C under full load. I'll check about the values you asked for and reply in a minute or two.

Dec 25, 2020

Also the Maximum.... is only on one core. It's their marketing 'strategy'. TBH, you'd be lucky if you find a software that can auto push Core 0 to 5GHz+
uh also i was told that i shouldn't touch scalar while auto oc mode is on. i mean ryzen master has to change it itself.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
uh also i was told that i shouldn't touch scalar while auto oc mode is on. i mean ryzen master has to change it itself.
Oh. Okay. I've been running my 3950X on Auto OC(Max: 4.825GHz) along with Scalar 4x(Manual BIOS) on Crosshair VIII X570. And I don't see any issues, performance drop or heat wise.

I'm going to look more into this and start benching tonight when I get home.

Dec 25, 2020
Oh. Okay. I've been running my 3950X on Auto OC(Max: 4.825GHz) along with Scalar 4x(Manual BIOS) on Crosshair VIII X570. And I don't see any issues, performance drop or heat wise.

About the max values of PPT, TDC, EDC it seems that stupid ass didn't get it or smth. Like i can type in 200, 300, 9999 whatever the number is. but mobo doesn't care.

Dec 25, 2020

scalar 4x did nothing. running cinebench cpu clock is 4.3. maybe i should turn Auto OC mode in ryzen master off and then try to use scalar?
1YRGGit.png

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
About the max values of PPT, TDC, EDC it seems that stupid ass didn't get it or smth. Like i can type in 200, 300, 9999 whatever the number is. but mobo doesn't care.
Yes. But you do want to keep these variables in limit depending on your VRM or just hardware alone. You don't want to fry your board because TDC decided to drop 500 A out of nowhere and Ryzen allowed it to.

Watch that guy from YouTube.. I totally forgot his name. Always angry, funny, and reviewing boards and chips. He OCs a lot.... Go look if he's got B550 + 3900X (base comparison due to core count) videos that could help maximize performance.

Dec 25, 2020
Yes. But you do want to keep these variables in limit depending on your VRM or just hardware alone. You don't want to fry your board because TDC decided to drop 500 A out of nowhere and Ryzen allowed it to.

Watch that guy from YouTube.. I totally forgot his name. Always angry, funny, and reviewing boards and chips. He OCs a lot.... Go look if he's got B550 + 3900X (base comparison due to core count) videos that could help maximize performance.
idk if it's possible for me to understand the whole video because english is not my main language. the problem is only about the clock speeds using auto oc mode, i dont want to oc it by myself rn. it wont end nice with my hands.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
idk if it's possible for me to understand the whole video because english is not my main language. the problem is only about the clock speeds using auto oc mode, i dont want to oc it by myself rn. it wont end nice with my hands.
Like I said. Those are probably the speeds you're going to get with Auto OC. I also have Auto OC and my max says 4.8 but when I game or run cinebench, it only maxes all 16 cores to 4.2 GHz

I'm pretty sure that's it for your card -- for now. Not sure but I feel like you're bottlenecked by your B550 VRM though.

Dec 25, 2020
Like I said. Those are probably the speeds you're going to get with Auto OC. I also have Auto OC and my max says 4.8 but when I game or run cinebench, it only maxes all 16 cores to 4.2 GHz

I'm pretty sure that's it for your card -- for now. Not sure but I feel like you're bottlenecked by your B550 VRM though.
i've got a question. while running cinebench tdc ppt and edc are at 100%. the value for ppt is 142w, tdc 95 a, edc 140 a. so in bios they are set to zero. how to i add some. like is it an offset, percentage or the real value like i want 200 a i type 200?

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Yes. You're going to have to manually put it in into the BIOS. With my X570, I can do a comfortable max of 395, 255, and 230.

Try 200, 200, 200.

If your VRM can't push it all the way up to 200 then that's all the motherboard's capable of.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
i've got a question. while running cinebench tdc ppt and edc are at 100%. the value for ppt is 142w, tdc 95 a, edc 140 a. so in bios they are set to zero. how to i add some. like is it an offset, percentage or the real value like i want 200 a i type 200?
I can do 165 watts on PPT, my TDC is averaging around 180, EDC 210.

And that's on 4.4 GHz all 16 cores for Cinebench and CPU-Z benchmarks. 70C max temp.

Check my link below(it wont show PBO variables):

Dec 25, 2020
I can do 165 watts on PPT, my TDC is averaging around 180, EDC 210.

And that's on 4.4 GHz all 16 cores for Cinebench and CPU-Z benchmarks. 70C max temp.

Check my link below(it wont show PBO variables):
so if i'll type 200 for each of them, im going to get 200 watts or amperes for it? i mean tdc will be 200 A, EDC 200 A, PPT 200 W?

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Depends if your motherboard's VRM will allow it. 200 will be the max limit.

But at least it won't be software controlled that could possible be holding you down. Manual set to 200 is better than software controlled 100.

All you have to look at to make sure you're safe is the temps. As long as it doesn't go more than 80 ON LOAD then you're fine. Idle temps should still be around 30-35 C

Dec 25, 2020
Depends if your motherboard's VRM will allow it. 200 will be the max limit.

But at least it won't be software controlled that could possible be holding you down. Manual set to 200 is better than software controlled 100.

All you have to look at to make sure you're safe is the temps. As long as it doesn't go more than 80 ON LOAD then you're fine. Idle temps should still be around 30-35 C
wont it get damaged if there's too much power. or it works how it has to be and all of the power is gonna get transfered into watts of temperature?

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
wont it get damaged if there's too much power. or it works how it has to be and all of the power is gonna get transfered into watts of temperature?
CPUs have security policies when it gets too hot. It will auto shutdown. This is considered basic, simple OCing now. Turn around and forget about it if you're not comfortable anymore.

Always do what's best for your hardware.

Dec 25, 2020
CPUs have security policies when it gets too hot. It will auto shutdown. This is considered basic, simple OCing now. Turn around and forget about it if you're not comfortable anymore.

Always do what's best for your hardware.
i've put it to 200. edc is maxed. clock speeds are still 4.3. temperature raised to 79 from 70. should i lower edc and try to change scalar? it's on auto now.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
i've put it to 200. edc is maxed. clock speeds are still 4.3. temperature raised to 79 from 70. should i lower edc and try to change scalar? it's on auto now.
Then that's it. You're lucky that the 5900X goes up to 4.3, I know that my 3950X is hard capped at 4.2 on load. :(

You can try OCing it to 4.5 manual if you'd like.

I also just want to make sure that you're using 8pin on CPU power correct? I know a guy here before had an issue because they only plugged in 4.

Dec 25, 2020
Then that's it. You're lucky that the 5900X goes up to 4.3, I know that my 3950X is hard capped at 4.2 on load. :(

You can try OCing it to 4.5 manual if you'd like.

I also just want to make sure that you're using 8pin on CPU power correct? I know a guy here before had an issue because they only plugged in 4.
it's 8+4 pin. wdym x570 driver?

Dec 25, 2020
My bad. I meant B550 driver. go to amd.com -> driver support and install it. You will then get Ryzen's Power Plan policy.

And I believe you just want to use 8 pin. The other 4 are for LN2, but please consult your manual.
i just woke up and i'll get into it in a few hours because i feel like i've got a hangover lmao