Question AMD Ryzen 5900x only stable after increased voltage

Dec 7, 2020
Hi,
I recently purchased the Ryzen 5 59000x.

At the second day after installing, I got a few crashes. The crashes were no blue screen, but just a direct restart of my PC.
After I updated to the latest beta BIOS, everything seemed to work again.

Now, about an hour ago, out of the blue, it happened again. But this time, I got caught in a restart loop.
Every 10th try I would get into windows (although only briefly), but the rest of the time my PC would restart while Windows was loading.

My first idea was to reinstall windows, but I couldn't even get in the Windows setup without rebooting.
My next idea was checking my memory. I ran memtest86 but after about 10 minutes, my PC restarted again.

After a few other things like downgrading and resetting BIOS, I read online that one person could solve this by increasing the CPU voltage.
After I found out how to do it, I raised the voltage to 1.5V. With this, I could start my PC again and for now it seems stable.
I did never overclock my system and reset BIOS multiple times, so my CPU ran with the default configuration before.

My question is, is this OK, or should I try to return the CPU to prevent further errors down the line?

Dec 7, 2020
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3700 AM4 WOF
MB: asus rog strix b550-f gaming (wi-fi)
PSU: 650 Watt Corsair RMx Series RM650x Modular 80+ Gold
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
RAM: 16GB (2x 8192MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX black DDR4-3000 DIMM
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

CPU temp is ok, my fans barely have to run when idle.
Like I said, now that I upped the voltage of the CPU, everything works again with no crashes.

I did never overclock my system and reset BIOS multiple times, so my CPU ran with the default configuration before.
Just because you didn't overclock doesn't mean that the mobo has stock settings as default, a lot of mobos push the CPU as much as possible out of the gates.

1.5V is extremely high and could damage your CPU.
Take pictures of the CPU settings of your bios to see if they are within specs or not.
If your mobo has a setting for performance, eco or power saving try that.

Dec 7, 2020
I turned it down to 1.475V for now. I changed it to automatic again just to see what it was and it even crashes in BIOS now, which didn't happen before..
I also tried turning off ASUS performance boost, but that changed the voltage to 1.1xxV and I couldn't even get into BIOS anymore, had to reset BIOS again.

These are the settings in the BIOS, and to me it looks like standard settings for this CPU?

2gg3ASE.jpeg

Kt3PPXF.jpg

Also, any idea if this would be an error with the CPU or the mainboard? I got both new at the same time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3700 AM4 WOF
MB: asus rog strix b550-f gaming (wi-fi)
PSU: 650 Watt Corsair RMx Series RM650x Modular 80+ Gold
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
RAM: 16GB (2x 8192MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX black DDR4-3000 DIMM
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

CPU temp is ok, my fans barely have to run when idle.
Like I said, now that I upped the voltage of the CPU, everything works again with no crashes.
I did see some posts where people were talking about Corsair LPX ram not playing nice with Ryzen CPUs. I don't know how true this is mind but there was talk of the LPX ram being older and better suited to Intel systems

Reactions: RodroX
Dec 9, 2020
Here reporting, I have a similar configuration, asus strix-b550-f gaming (Wifi) and a 5900x. Update the bios to 1401 and everything by default regarding voltages and others. I'll be testing and leaving the results here.

Dec 7, 2020
Ok so I just upgraded my bios and now I can't even get into bios anymore to increase the voltage before my pc resets.

The only thing I'm still unsure about is if it's more probable to be the CPU or the Mainboard that's faulty...

Dec 9, 2020
Unfortunately the problem was not solved with update 1401, a few minutes after starting the system it froze.
At the time in the configuration of the speed of the ram I left it in 3200, I will do tests to see if it fails again.

Dec 9, 2020
Ok so I just upgraded my bios and now I can't even get into bios anymore to increase the voltage before my pc resets.

The only thing I'm still unsure about is if it's more probable to be the CPU or the Mainboard that's faulty...
I'm also having a lot of reboot and instability issues. Even if he lets me enter the bios. Question, do you turn on the leds of dram or some when the pc does not turn you on?

Dec 7, 2020
check for bend pin on the cpu?
Just checked, everything seems fine.
PXL-20201209-205547932-MP.jpg

While removing the CPU, I noticed that my PSU doesn't have an 8 pin and a 4 pin connector for the Mainboard, only an 8 pin.
But as far as I know, the 4 pin is optional and shouldn't be the cause for this, or am I wrong?

Dec 9, 2020
Just checked, everything seems fine.
PXL-20201209-205547932-MP.jpg

While removing the CPU, I noticed that my PSU doesn't have an 8 pin and a 4 pin connector for the Mainboard, only an 8 pin.
But as far as I know, the 4 pin is optional and shouldn't be the cause for this, or am I wrong?
According to what I understood in the manual, nothing happens if the 4-pin connector of the source is not connected. Like you, I don't have the pin 4 connected either. The configuration of the ram in 3200 did not work for me, but I remembered having a 2400 ram at the moment I have already been 2 hours without restarting.

Dec 9, 2020
I have been using the gSkill memory for more than 3 hours and it has not been restarted, looking at what they said above that the corsair lpx ram had problems, I decided to look for my reference and in the compatibility list it does not appear, I guess why it is not compatible, I have a CMU16GX4M2C3200C16R. I leave you a list of corsair memories so that you can see if yours is compatible or not.

Another test that I want to do tomorrow is to raise the voltage of my ram, in the bios it says that it has 1.2v but already having the ram outside and looking on the internet it says that this ram is 1.35v maybe that could be another failure, even so I will finish all day today with the old memory to see if it ends up restarting the pc.

Dec 9, 2020
Are you running the RAM at 2133MHz? What RAM is that?
I don't know if you're asking me. If so, I am running the memory at 2400 MHZ, which is the maximum that this ram can hold.
The ram is G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 2400.
This is the ram with which the pc has not been restarted, with my corsair vengace 3200mhz led it restarts every x time, no more than 1 hour.

TRENDING THREADS