Question AMD Ryzen 7 1700X throttle down at 32° under minimal load.

Aug 28, 2020
Alright fellas. Im going to try and provide as much information as i can. Ill probably need a walk through instruction on how to fix.
I purchased built computer from a younger fella its a great computer for the most part built for gaming but im using it for more minor tasks. I do game but i have extremely important trading software installed on this computer that cannot be transferred to a new one. And so keeping this computer healthy is important to me.

This computer is new as far as i know and i installed windows 10 on it and all that. But right away i put NZXT CAM on it also so i could monitor the machine at all times.
I thought the problem was due to a case fan that stopped working but now i am not sure since the second time it happened the fan was working.

Anyways so i have my trading platform open and i am working on some projects (not trading thank god), And all of a sudden i find nothing is working only my mouse and my start menu.
I look at my NZXT hub i keep it open on the desktop and it shows my computer clocking at 218mhz. This machine is done fallen asleep on me an i cant save my project and my CPU temp is reading 32°. I cant make much sense of it im not a computer wiz i only know a little more than the basics.

The first time it happened I noticed my case fan had stopped while i was watching a video but the cooling fans where running just fine. (glass sided case) traced the fan problem to a little bit of corrosion on a small circuit board/power adapter, i have provided two photos of this. At first i thought perhaps it caused some sort of short that the computer sensed and throttled down to protect itself. How ever the second time the indecent occurred the fan was working perfectly. So may be un related.

All i can do is turn the computer off when this happens and i loose my projects. And the second time i have been working on projects for 9 1/2 hours when it most of it was saved in time(thank god). the first time i had been working for about 4hrs.

Thought perhaps the NZXT was not properly monitoring my temp so i also installed speccy to compare the two, and so far they have been consistent with the readings.

My specs(Also provide pictures).
CPU- AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
GPU- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Mother board- Gigabyte Technology Co., AX370-Gaming 5
I should mention its Liquid cooled. TF120 Game Storm, two fans 1 rad not including case fan.

CPU says 3400mhz default speed but mine generally sits at 3492mhz and small spikes to 3891mhz what do you think? Setting? or Hardware problem?

3beifR.jpg
b9LgfG.jpg
ObdVat.jpg
KoYKAi.jpg
eI7zVy.png
ww4g2Z.png
JFvqrD.jpg

Images just Showing when the case fan not running & when i re plugged the fan into a new port and it working again. and the status when it clocked down taken by my phone.

All i had open was chrome with a video running and Ninja Trader 8 running both times the indecent happened. Minimal Tasks

ebosss03

Reputable
May 1, 2018
1. Update your drivers.

2. Liquid cooling is made so that if the cpu has a low temperature 40 degrees or lower it will provide passive cooling. To save energy since the computer is already cooled down.

3. The higher Mhz is because you are not thermally throtteled so the CPU can have an extra boost clock up to 4000Mhz depending on the thermals, voltage and speed multiplier.

4. To me it seems like a healthy pc.

Reactions: CountMike
Alright fellas. Im going to try and provide as much information as i can. Ill probably need a walk through instruction on how to fix.
I purchased built computer from a younger fella its a great computer for the most part built for gaming but im using it for more minor tasks. I do game but i have extremely important trading software installed on this computer that cannot be transferred to a new one. And so keeping this computer healthy is important to me.

This computer is new as far as i know and i installed windows 10 on it and all that. But right away i put NZXT CAM on it also so i could monitor the machine at all times.
I thought the problem was due to a case fan that stopped working but now i am not sure since the second time it happened the fan was working.

Anyways so i have my trading platform open and i am working on some projects (not trading thank god), And all of a sudden i find nothing is working only my mouse and my start menu.
I look at my NZXT hub i keep it open on the desktop and it shows my computer clocking at 218mhz. This machine is done fallen asleep on me an i cant save my project and my CPU temp is reading 32°. I cant make much sense of it im not a computer wiz i only know a little more than the basics.

The first time it happened I noticed my case fan had stopped while i was watching a video but the cooling fans where running just fine. (glass sided case) traced the fan problem to a little bit of corrosion on a small circuit board/power adapter, i have provided two photos of this. At first i thought perhaps it caused some sort of short that the computer sensed and throttled down to protect itself. How ever the second time the indecent occurred the fan was working perfectly. So may be un related.

All i can do is turn the computer off when this happens and i loose my projects. And the second time i have been working on projects for 9 1/2 hours when it most of it was saved in time(thank god). the first time i had been working for about 4hrs.

Thought perhaps the NZXT was not properly monitoring my temp so i also installed speccy to compare the two, and so far they have been consistent with the readings.

My specs(Also provide pictures).
CPU- AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
GPU- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Mother board- Gigabyte Technology Co., AX370-Gaming 5
I should mention its Liquid cooled. TF120 Game Storm, two fans 1 rad not including case fan.

CPU says 3400mhz default speed but mine generally sits at 3492mhz and small spikes to 3891mhz what do you think? Setting? or Hardware problem?

3beifR.jpg
b9LgfG.jpg
ObdVat.jpg
KoYKAi.jpg
eI7zVy.png
ww4g2Z.png
JFvqrD.jpg

Images just Showing when the case fan not running & when i re plugged the fan into a new port and it working again. and the status when it clocked down taken by my phone.

All i had open was chrome with a video running and Ninja Trader 8 running both times the indecent happened. Minimal Tasks
Speecy is even worse, use HW info64.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Please list full system specs. Your pics are helpful but don't get us all the way there.

IMO and with what I can glean from what you said.

I would check event viewer and see what errors are coming up at the time this failure is happening.

I would turn off the OC holding that CPU at full speed, at least that is the way I read it. I would likely go in and reset CMOS, leave everything stock aside from XMP (or whatever your mobo manufacturer calls it) to make sure the memory is running at correct speed

I would check your hardware/chipset drivers and BIOS revision to make sure you are as up to date as you can be with that mobo.

Personally would run a series of tests with things like Cinebench R15/20 and then something like Furmark or Heaven to isolate if the issue is with the CPU or GPU alone and then would run something like CPU-Z (etc.) and Furmark together to see if issue presents.

Aug 28, 2020
1. Update your drivers.

2. Liquid cooling is made so that if the cpu has a low temperature 40 degrees or lower it will provide passive cooling. To save energy since the computer is already cooled down.

3. The higher Mhz is because you are not thermally throtteled so the CPU can have an extra boost clock up to 4000Mhz depending on the thermals, voltage and speed multiplier.

Yes i agree the computer for the most part seem just fine. Its only the two incidents that are troublesome. when its drops to the 218mhz it stays there and i loose all function. I am left with no choice but shut down, i have little doubt its not a complicated fix just a complicated diagnostic for someone like me but i can try driver updates although im fairly sure they are up to date since i have only owned the PC about a month.

Aug 28, 2020
Please list full system specs. Your pics are helpful but don't get us all the way there.

I would check event viewer and see what errors are coming up at the time this failure is happening.

I would turn off the OC holding that CPU at full speed, at least that is the way I read it. I would likely go in and reset CMOS, leave everything stock aside from XMP (or whatever your mobo manufacturer calls it) to make sure the memory is running at correct speed

I would check your hardware/chipset drivers and BIOS revision to make sure you are as up to date as you can be with that mobo.

Personally would run a series of tests with things like Cinebench R15/20 and then something like Furmark or Heaven to isolate if the issue is with the CPU or GPU alone and then would run something like CPU-Z (etc.) and Furmark together to see if issue presents.
At full speed do you mean the 3492mhz? My screen snip i took of the CPU info just happened to be at a spike moment showing the 3891mhz. often the CPU falls to 2100 area but regularly its 3492.
I had to look up what CMOS means( My computer lingo level is much lower than yours). Is that done in the BIOS? I will look into these programs you have suggested. Event viewer is that also in the bios?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
At full speed do you mean the 3492mhz? My screen snip i took of the CPU info just happened to be at a spike moment showing the 3891mhz. often the CPU falls to 2100 area but regularly its 3492.
I had to look up what CMOS means( My computer lingo level is much lower than yours). Is that done in the BIOS? I will look into these programs you have suggested. Event viewer is that also in the bios?

Event Viewer is in Windows. Type it in your search window. Anything you are curious about you can search by the keywords online. Typically, focus your attention on 'Critical' and 'Error' sections. It's rare that any of the rest would cause an actual shutdown event, but you might have to dig down that far.

The CMOS is usually a couple of pins on your mobo. Within BIOS there is typically a "reset" of various verbiage and normally located in the same menu area as the save and exit. Before you hit the CMOS reset you should familiarize yourself with the process for entering BIOS on your particular mobo.

Aug 28, 2020
Speecy is even worse, use HW info64.
If it free ill have a loo

k
Event Viewer is in Windows. Type it in your search window. Anything you are curious about you can search by the keywords online. Typically, focus your attention on 'Critical' and 'Error' sections. It's rare that any of the rest would cause an actual shutdown event, but you might have to dig down that far.

The CMOS is usually a couple of pins on your mobo. Within BIOS there is typically a "reset" of various verbiage and normally located in the same menu area as the save and exit. Before you hit the CMOS reset you should familiarize yourself with the process for entering BIOS on your particular mobo.
Here is hopefully better system information for you. But have a look at the Event viewer snip i took.
Looks like the issue has occurred at least 3 times not just the two that know of if that is what i think it is.
I attached link to photo if its unreadable.
LPDxVP.png

h9zbAY.png

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/LPDxVP.png

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Event 41 is an unexpected shutdown to the system. Commonly this is tied to a bad/failing/under-spec PSU, but not always.

What power supply are you using in this system?
What GPU is that?

Edit, I note that the BIOS version seems to be from Sept '17, so there is likely a good update for that....

Aug 28, 2020
Event 41 is an unexpected shutdown to the system. Commonly this is tied to a bad/failing/under-spec PSU, but not always.

What power supply are you using in this system?
What GPU is that?

Edit, I note that the BIOS version seems to be from Sept '17, so there is likely a good update for that....
Just by looking at the outside of the case.
Its a Thermaltake Smart Series
80 plus Smart 700W

Aug 28, 2020
1. Update your drivers.

I did have an update..Windows 10 update for 64bit sytems or some such name i updated my other two computers recently but I guess i missed this one.

Aug 28, 2020
Just by looking at the outside of the case.
Its a Thermaltake Smart Series
80 plus Smart 700W
Yes i had a system update that said for 64 bit systems it was downloaded but not installed. likely that was the problem. Seeing as this is a 64bit system(not that i know what that means haha). Think that did the trick?

Aug 28, 2020
Well no crashes to speak of. but now the computer is having much more errors that before and has been slowing down after a few hours use. still not getting hot.
Im Getting alot of AppModel-Runtime ID 65 errors And the pc starts to slow down and i end up calling it a day.
And network addapter errors ID 1000
DistributedCOM ID 10010
Cam Service ID 1
WindowsUpdateClient ID 20/ Windows Update agent
DHCPv6-Client ID 1003 Address Configuration State event