Question AMD Ryzen 7 5700G installed on an Asrock B550 PG Velocita Startup Question

Jan 7, 2022
Getting ready to start up my new build with an AMD 7 5700G on a Asrock B550 PG Velocita mobo. I was doing some research and read about issues with the bios not working with this CPU? Something about having to start the system up with a non-G CPU like a 3800x or something like that? Huh? And then doing the BIOS upgrade with the older CPU in order to be then able to run the new CPU after that BIOS upgrade. Please tell me this is not true. Anyone who can speak to this? I also saw something on the Asrock site that there is a BIOS upgrade as of Aug 21' that allows the use of the 5700G CPU directly. I am rather confused, but before I get too much further, I want to figure this out. Please and thank you.

Given the component shortages, you're unlikely to run into this situation.

Generally, you're ONLY guaranteed to receive a mobo with the lowest numerical BIOS version (aka, the release date BIOS). That would be a board that's been sitting on a shelf since roughly June 2020. Unlikely.
My AsRock B550 phantom mITX shipped with a BIOS version that was only a month or two old.

Just start up the PC. That's the only way you're going to know.

Jan 7, 2022
Given the component shortages, you're unlikely to run into this situation.

Generally, you're ONLY guaranteed to receive a mobo with the lowest numerical BIOS version (aka, the release date BIOS). That would be a board that's been sitting on a shelf since roughly June 2020. Unlikely.
My AsRock B550 phantom mITX shipped with a BIOS version that was only a month or two old.

Just start up the PC. That's the only way you're going to know.

I was thinking that it could depend on manufacture build date, but in reading the BIOS version notes, it looks like they are talking about upgrading with a different CPU as late as Aug 21, which says in bright yellow........"To support Ryzen 5000 G-series processors, it requires to update the BIOS with Matisse, Renoir or Vermeer CPU". If this is the case, this is ridiculous.

The 5700G was released in ~April 2021 (with retail availability a few months late). Prior to that date, you can't have BIOS support for a CPU that doesn't exist.

According to AsRocks website BIOS version P1.9 or later supports the 5700G. That BIOS version has a release date of March 2021. Again, my AsRock B550 Phantom mITX shipped with a BIOS version that was only a couple months old at time of delivery.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 PG Velocita/index.asp#BIOS

Again, turn it on. You're probably worrying about nothing.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022
The 5700G was released in ~April 2021 (with retail availability a few months late). Prior to that date, you can't have BIOS support for a CPU that doesn't exist.

According to AsRocks website BIOS version P1.9 or later supports the 5700G. That BIOS version has a release date of March 2021. Again, my AsRock B550 Phantom mITX shipped with a BIOS version that was only a couple months old at time of delivery.

Again, turn it on. You're probably worrying about nothing.

I appreciate the reply, but I am just doing my homework before I open the package and install it. If it doesn't work, I will have issues returning it then. I saw the CPU support list too, but I also saw the BIOS notes list where it says that you need to use a different variety of processor to update.

I appreciate the reply, but I am just doing my homework before I open the package and install it. If it doesn't work, I will have issues returning it then. I saw the CPU support list too, but I also saw the BIOS notes list where it says that you need to use a different variety of processor to update.

You're wise to be concerned. While there's been plenty of time since the processor's launch to get the BIOS updates in place it's always possible to get old stock that isn't updated.

Things you can do: If you can, contact your seller and ask them what version BIOS is on the board you're getting. If they can't say then make sure you have the ability to return if it's not updated. You can also borrow a processor and GPU and do the update yourself. You could also take it in to a computer shop and ask them to do the update (usually not too expensive).