Question AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor, how hot is to hot?

edward78

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Wgen plying Mortal Online 2 & Pax Dei, it get around 195ish F, I have a Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (65mm, Brown) & will put a ID-COOLING IS-55 BLACK CPU Cooler Low Profile 57mm Height CPU Air Cooler 5 Heatpipes 120x120x15mm Slim Fan, CPU Fan for Intel LGA1700/115X/1200; AMD AM4/AM5 in today how much will that help in a Sugo SG05 case? 170ish watching a youtube vid. Why?

Last edited:
Wgen plying Mortal Online 2 & Pax Dei, it get around 195ish F, I have a Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler (65mm, Brown) & will put a ID-COOLING IS-55 BLACK CPU Cooler Low Profile 57mm Height CPU Air Cooler 5 Heatpipes 120x120x15mm Slim Fan, CPU Fan for Intel LGA1700/115X/1200; AMD AM4/AM5 in today how much will that help in a Sugo SG05 case? 170ish watching a youtube vid. Why?
What?!
What do you expect people to tell you?! How much more volume of air the new cooler is going to move compared to the old one? That's on the package, or will be on their websites somewhere.

Tell us your system, how much power it uses, how hot it is now, so people have some reference.

Your CPU is hitting 90°C playing some games and 75°C on others. I assume the games that it runs hotter are more CPU intensive. On those CPU intensive games your CPU is throttling as you are hitting the max temp. Overall your thermal solution is too small for a 105W TDP CPU. I don't think the IS-55 will help much. Probably the best low profile cooler you can get in that case is the NH-L12Sx77.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
What?!
What do you expect people to tell you?! How much more volume of air the new cooler is going to move compared to the old one? That's on the package, or will be on their websites somewhere.

Tell us your system, how much power it uses, how hot it is now, so people have some reference.
In the post you are told the current HSF, possible new HSF, case, and temps while gaming. That is enough information to discern what is needed.

Well, without knowing the other components, including case and case fan setup, it's not exactly easy to establish a baseline on the info provided. Knowing the other components will help. There could be a lot of heat floating around in a bad case design. Agree though, both coolers are insufficient to allow the CPU to boost properly.

Edit: OOOps. See the case there. My bad.

edward78

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Well, without knowing the other components, including case and case fan setup, it's not exactly easy to establish a baseline on the info provided. Knowing the other components will help. There could be a lot of heat floating around in a bad case design. Agree though, both coolers are insufficient to allow the CPU to boost properly.

Edit: OOOps. See the case there. My bad.
The Sugo SG05 with the front fan it came with. Boost isw disabled. I have the
GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX (AM4 AMD/B550/Mini-Itx/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 1/WiFi 6/2.5 GbE LAN/PCIe4.0/Realtek ALC1220-Vb/DisplayPort 1.4/2xHDMI 2.0B/RGB Fusion 2.0/DDR4/Gaming Motherboard) just to be sure what are the options to disable to turn of boost, I disabled Overdrive & Soc something OC, but still grt thr same temps?

Last edited:
The Sugo SG05 with the front fan it came with. Boost isw disabled. I have the
GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX (AM4 AMD/B550/Mini-Itx/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 1/WiFi 6/2.5 GbE LAN/PCIe4.0/Realtek ALC1220-Vb/DisplayPort 1.4/2xHDMI 2.0B/RGB Fusion 2.0/DDR4/Gaming Motherboard) just to be sure what are the options to disable to turn of boost, I disabled Overdrive & Soc something OC, but still grt thr same temps?

Ideally, you want your bios at default. Reset it so that all settings are default. Then we can diagnose better.

So there is one front intake fan, right? Are there fans at the rear of the chassis to exhaust?

Okay the Sug SG05 is compact, and airflow wouldn't be the best IMO. It's no wonder the 5800x is running hot.

Also, for the most part we use dedgrees celcius for temp reporting ;)

Have you tried running the CPU in eco mode? This may help with temps but at reduced clockspeed.

edward78

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Ideally, you want your bios at default. Reset it so that all settings are default. Then we can diagnose better.

So there is one front intake fan, right? Are there fans at the rear of the chassis to exhaust?

Okay the Sug SG05 is compact, and airflow wouldn't be the best IMO. It's no wonder the 5800x is running hot.

Also, for the most part we use dedgrees celcius for temp reporting ;)

Have you tried running the CPU in eco mode? This may help with temps but at reduced clockspeed.
Would a sandwich style case be better, the PSU wouldn't block the above vent? I want a good system, but not a big tower. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLXY7S4Y/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_9?smid=A26YYQ0U8ZSIL1&th=1 would be so cool, but my GOU has 2 fans so to big.

Reactions: Flayed