News AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Review: The Pricing Conundrum

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
However, AMD increased the price for its eight-core Ryzen 5000 chips by $50 over the previous-gen processors,

Actually this is the second time they increase the Price , first ,they removed the $30 included cooler , and now they are asking for $50 more ... so thats $80 more ...

sorry AMD , I am not paying for 8 cores CPU without a cooler , $450 in 2021 .

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I am hoping to see a Ryzen 7 5700x get released next year.
I will eventually upgrade from my current 3700x, which performs very well for my uses.
So if they release a 5700x that will be the chip I look at first.

hannibal

Distinguished
I will eventually upgrade from my current 3700x, which performs very well for my uses.

it takes time to collect enough bad 8 core chips that Are no good for 5800x, but eventually there is enough of those to release limited edition 5700x by using those. We just most likely don`t see too Many of those.
More likely is that amd will releae 5800xt and 5800x will reduce in price about from half to full year from now.

Reactions: DMAN999

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Just a guess, but I don't see any of the 8 core chiplets being reserved for a 5700X release, as the lower binned chiplets will be in high demand for future Epyc and, eventually, Threadripper.

Epyc is already committed, but if I were AMD I would skip 5000X Threadripper entirely to focus on Ryzen and Epyc, and 6-12 months late release 6000X instead with DDR5 (all variants, in some rational order that does not kill the supply chain again).

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
it takes time to collect enough bad 8 core chips that Are no good for 5800x, but eventually there is enough of those to release limited edition 5700x by using those. We just most likely don`t see too Many of those.
More likely is that amd will releae 5800xt and 5800x will reduce in price about from half to full year from now.
I would be fine with a lower priced 5800x if they don't release a 5700x.
As for waiting, I am good with that.
I don't plan on upgrading for at least a year or so anyways.

Just a guess, but I don't see any of the 8 core chiplets being reserved for a 5700X release, as the lower binned chiplets will be in high demand for future Epyc and, eventually, Threadripper.

Epyc is already committed, but if I were AMD I would skip 5000X Threadripper entirely to focus on Ryzen and Epyc, and 6-12 months late release 6000X instead with DDR5 (all variants, in some rational order that does not kill the supply chain again).
A valid point.
We will just have to wait and see.
If there is no 65W /5700x or similar CPU released, I will just have to review my options when I am ready to upgrade.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The bottom of the price list is where they really jacked things up. The 5600X is up 100$ over the previous gen. Before anyone goes "no its $50 you noob" they changed the name too. 5600X is a 65W part. The last 65W 6/12 chip was $100 less, roughly. They changed the name AND jacked the price $50.

javiindo

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
@Paul,

In the title you indicated "Where's muh Ryzen 7 3700X? ". I supose you mean the 5700X.
I have seen you have corrected the other error.

Good review as usual.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
As one of the lucky few Ryzen 7 5800x owners, I agree fully that the price is too high. Its an awesome processor, but 5900x availability caused me to go with it. The 5800x would have made more sense at a maximum of $425 at launch and this would've put the 5600x, 5800x, and 5900x at $125 intervals at launch. What would be interesting is a ryzen 7 5700x with a 65w tdp, wraith prism and a price around $350-$375. we can hope right?

As for my particular sample with PBO with the max frequency set to +200mhz, I see peaks of 5.05ghz, all core game clocks of 4.7-4.8ghz and AVX usage all core clocks of 4.55-4.65ghz with a cooler master masterliquid ml240r. I've also managed to overclock mine to 4.8ghz all core with 1.3v Fclock at 1800 and DDR4 3600 with temps peaking at 80c under avx loads. Toying around with Cinebench R20 at these settings results in scores of 6372 multi and 620 single.

javiindo

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
I wanted to sell my old computer before it become garbage. And once I sold the RAM, I needed a new CPU. I have bought the 3500X for 100$ in Aliexpress because of this crazy situation and because I have hope of a zen 3 best value and 8 cores. The problem is that the 5600X it's already at 300$. A best value over 300 is a bit painful. Will they low the price with zen 4 or they will rise the price again? We need Intel back.

e_SonOfAnder

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
Talking about pricing of Zen 3 chips is completely ludicrous at this point given their complete lack of availability. That price is purely theoretical until there are actually retail or etail locations where you can purchase them.

Reactions: Gurg
It's weird but getting a 5600X is actually an upgrade from a 3700X, despite having two less cores (especially in single but even multi-threaded workloads). As a fellow 3700X owner, I feel your frustration here.

More value-oriented versions of these processors will almost certainly be coming in the first-quarter, and I doubt they will be "limited edition" releases, but rather the normal versions of the processors that most people will be buying. AMD just decided to put the higher-priced variants out first, since they knew those had been a much tougher sell in prior generations, when released alongside models offering nearly the same level of performance for significantly less. Since initial production was going to be limited, it makes sense for them to sell chips as higher-margin parts initially, especially since they currently hold a performance edge over Intel. They obviously won't be able to do that if Intel increases competition with their Rocket Lake lineup though, so there will undoubtedly be better-value parts on the market by then.

There has already been rumors that a 5600 (non-X) will be released for around $220 or so, and I would expect an 8-core for around $350, both probably with included stock coolers. It wouldn't be surprising to see these announced during their CES presentation in January, though there is also the possibility that they might not come until closer to the Rocket Lake launch. There are obviously some big price gaps in AMD's current lineup that need to be filled though, and based on recent 3600 and 3700X pricing and availability, I would expect that they have either ended or significantly cut down Zen 2 chiplet production, and are focused on Zen 3 now. So, I would expect Zen 3 successors to those parts to be coming within the next couple months or so.

The bottom of the price list is where they really jacked things up. The 5600X is up 100$ over the previous gen. Before anyone goes "no its $50 you noob" they changed the name too. 5600X is a 65W part. The last 65W 6/12 chip was $100 less, roughly. They changed the name AND jacked the price $50.
It's nonsensical to base pricing on power draw. Their redesign of the architecture improved efficiency, and not much performance would be gained by pushing power levels higher. And while the 3600X may have been paired with a "95 watt" stock cooler, its actual power draw was very similar to that of the 3600. I would have preferred to see them keep the Spire cooler given the higher price point, and would have also preferred to see somewhat lower launch pricing, but practically speaking, they sold out either way, meaning they arguably made the right business decision, at least for these early-adopter parts, which seem to be aimed more at those who don't care quite as much about getting the most value for their money.

Reactions: martinch and King_V

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
the 105W Ryzen 7 5800X comes without what used to be one of AMD's most prized value-adds for the Ryzen 7 series – the Wraith Prism RGB cooler. AMD's cooler-less Ryzen 5000 series models require a 280mm AIO cooler (or equivalent air cooler
That's a laugh! The cooler bundle was sometimes not even mentioned in comparisons with Intel chips - until the author was prodded! And to even imply that a 130W max CPU would ever need water cooling is absurd. In real-world jobs it can get by fine with... air cooling as low-end as Wraith!

But it helps sell the idea that AMD has cut a lot out of the offer so you'll need to add a lot back in.

You could make your point without these cheap shots. AMD is charging more - as well they might, given what they've accomplished, and as they must in order to stay in the game. We're still getting one hell of a lot more than we ever would have from Intel. Let's keep that in mind.

Reactions: Conahl

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Simple. AMD just don't want people buying much of this product since it is perfect silicon, only next to the 5950x. On a technical point of view, I don't like their CPUs requiring more than one CCX module, the additional cores doesn't scale with games. 5000 series is truly high end, for high end gaming builds.

AMD's Ryzen 7 5800X offers stellar performance, but its $449 price tag leaves it open to bruising competition from within the company's own Zen 3 product stack.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Review: The Pricing Conundrum : Read more

itsmedatguy

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
I found myself in the unfortunate situation last week of my Z390 board suddenly dying, and Micro Center having nothing in stock that supported my 9700k when I needed my PC up and running for work ASAP. I was able to find a 5800x for $500 on craigslist ($23 over retail if you consider tax) and a B550i board from micro center. I wish I could have found a 5600x as I could live with 2 cores less if it meant saving $150, but the way things are now I'm just happy to have a Zen 3 chip (and a 3070 to boot!)

mikie tim t

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Talking about pricing of Zen 3 chips is completely ludicrous at this point given their complete lack of availability. That price is purely theoretical until there are actually retail or etail locations where you can purchase them.
I just picked one up at MicroCenter in Overland Park, KS this weekend for MSRP. As of this writing, they still show to have 3 5800X in stock. Seem to be the about the only Vermeer's available anywhere, but you do have to walk into a store during a pandemic to get them. Haven't gotten it popped into my Gigabyte B450M DS3H just yet, but will in a couple of days in conjunction with the requisite BIOS update.

mikie tim t

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
More value-oriented versions of these processors will almost certainly be coming in the first-quarter, and I doubt they will be "limited edition" releases, but rather the normal versions of the processors that most people will be buying. AMD just decided to put the higher-priced variants out first, since they knew those had been a much tougher sell in prior generations, when released alongside models offering nearly the same level of performance for significantly less. Since initial production was going to be limited, it makes sense for them to sell chips as higher-margin parts initially, especially since they currently hold a performance edge over Intel. They obviously won't be able to do that if Intel increases competition with their Rocket Lake lineup though, so there will undoubtedly be better-value parts on the market by then.

There has already been rumors that a 5600 (non-X) will be released for around $220 or so, and I would expect an 8-core for around $350, both probably with included stock coolers. It wouldn't be surprising to see these announced during their CES presentation in January, though there is also the possibility that they might not come until closer to the Rocket Lake launch. There are obviously some big price gaps in AMD's current lineup that need to be filled though, and based on recent 3600 and 3700X pricing and availability, I would expect that they have either ended or significantly cut down Zen 2 chiplet production, and are focused on Zen 3 now. So, I would expect Zen 3 successors to those parts to be coming within the next couple months or so.

It's nonsensical to base pricing on power draw. Their redesign of the architecture improved efficiency, and not much performance would be gained by pushing power levels higher. And while the 3600X may have been paired with a "95 watt" stock cooler, its actual power draw was very similar to that of the 3600. I would have preferred to see them keep the Spire cooler given the higher price point, and would have also preferred to see somewhat lower launch pricing, but practically speaking, they sold out either way, meaning they arguably made the right business decision, at least for these early-adopter parts, which seem to be aimed more at those who don't care quite as much about getting the most value for their money.
AMD is trying to extract as much revenue as possible given a constrained supply of components as they can just like any other good business. There will undoubtedly be other variants in the next couple of quarters to flesh out gaps in the SKUs.

I actually have the 3600X right now in my rig that I'm fixing to pop a 5800X into. Running PBO and loading up threads with BOINC projects, I push it to around 90-100W, but it does throttle down to 3950MHz when the temps get between 80 and 85 on the included cooler. Hope this new one revs up a little higher more consistently even with an additional 2 cores. It should with a little better cooler coming in tomorrow when I swap things out.

Reactions: Soaptrail

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Actually this is the second time they increase the Price , first ,they removed the $30 included cooler , and now they are asking for $50 more ... so thats $80 more ...

I wonder if the pro-Intel types who used to argue that the included cooler with the high-end AMD CPUs was worthless, and shouldn't be counted, are going to object to your statement. "Nobody is going to use the stock cooler" they said.

Reactions: Arbie

mikie tim t

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I wonder if the pro-Intel types who used to argue that the included cooler with the high-end AMD CPUs was worthless, and shouldn't be counted, are going to object to your statement. "Nobody is going to use the stock cooler" they said.
That was certainly true of Intel coolers, as they were historically garbage, but AMD has always included rather good coolers in the product they shipped them with. Not that there aren't upgrades available for pushing the clocks up, but would run it as intended anyway for those who don't tweak in the UEFI.