News AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D vs Intel Core i9-13900K and Core i7-13700K: Big Gaming Punch, Smaller Price Tag

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
If you want the best the 13900k is just that the best ( my argument and reason i steer away from intel is its BS socket life span not their CPU's ) the 7800x3d like the 5800x3d is very very good when v cache is needed otherwise its MEH !!
The 7900x3d is a waste of sand and i have my issues with the 7950x3d when its not as good as a 13900k ..

Lets be honest while people complain about power draw if you want the best of anything these days you need a power station nearby .. GPU's and CPU's heat and power draw are creeping up and up every gen..

I love my 7800x3d as i did my 5800x3d for gaming its great when v cache is needed but overall the 13900k is the best of the best overall !!

It means AMD has publicly released this and its other x3d processors as games centred CPUs with slightly reduced performance for non games loads, and if you want to tie the 13900 to its standard config with your 20 dollar cooler then lets see how it performs

Compared to the overclocked results you get with the AIO (315W out of the allowed 253W ) you get 94% of the performance of that.
DMvpX7nbCHfQLLKKgfnnHh-1200-80.png

craigss

Reputable
Aug 28, 2020
Dear God some folks are so blinded so lets take that metric 315w! I think a threadripper uses less power and gets way more done at lower temps.
This is not an argument about the overall speeds of individual CPUs its about the unfair comparisons within the article, in order for any other CPU to keep up with the 7800x3d in a games environment which is what its designed primarily for (from both camps) takes some serious heat and power, the comparison in the article was supposedly looking at that aspect of performance yet a CPU with inferior performance and more power draw was said to tie hence the schill comments

in order for any other CPU to keep up with the 7800x3d in a games environment which is what its designed primarily for (from both camps) takes some serious heat and power
Is this here a gaming environment?!
The 7800x has 25% lower min frames with the same average which means that it will be much more unstable.
How much power and heat does it take the 7800x to get up to the levels of the 13700k?!
Oh yes I forgot, it blows up if you even try that....
In deed, dear God some folks are so blinded.
The x3d CPUs are great CPUs for gaming FOR GAMES THAT SCALE WELL WITH CACHE, everything else is meh.
a2HkSiRVyrHN4UeBQh3Z6j-1200-80.png.webp

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I'm not sure how the 13700K ties 7800X3D in gaming. 14% less performance on average, and slightly less expensive. That's a pretty large delta. Also, everytime the 7800 wins in gaming, there's a caveat that Intel is better at productivity. If we're measuring gaming, let's measure gaming. If we're measuring productivity, let's measure productivity. If you want the best of both worlds, get the 7950X3D. Article feels like an Intel defense, not a comparison.

" AMD is a faster gaming chip, competitively priced, on a new platform with lots of longevity, and is far more efficient. Also, Intel ties it... for some reason."

The results did not match up with the outcome.
Uncle Tom.

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Because all those graphs explain it pretty clearly that AMD does win out on average, the 99% it does not, so it's a wash.

Same way cars work, you have city, you have highway ans you have combined. Two cars can have the same combined thus tie despite one edging the other In a respective test.
Gamers are analogous to sports car buyers, who care little for the pragmatic metrics u cite.

It seems reasonable to object to a sports car review which qualifies good perf results with demerits for poor towing capacity.
I take his point & so should you.

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Yeah, I realise that it's hard to compare because the 13700K is cheaper while the 13900K is more expensive and the price deltas are pretty close. The problem is that, in both cases, it's apples to oranges because not only are the price tiers not lining up, neither is the power use. The Intel CPUs require extremely robust cooling solutions that the AMD CPU doesn't which makes them different again.

It's a bit hard to get my head around the fact that the i9-13900K is the single, most power-hungry (and therefore hottest-running) consumer-grade CPU in history. I honestly never thought that I'd see the day when a CPU had worse power consumption and thermals than the AMD FX-9590 but here we are.

I just think that when comparing one brand to another, it should always be the same number of products on both sides. Otherwise, people get the perception that one brand is better than the other because the laws of averages means that the side with more products being included will get more wins and some of those wins will be meaningless.
It has long peeved me that the 13900k is, for the damning reasons you cite, a face saving, impractical mascot product which should not be deceptively marketed as it is.

Its claimed performance per $ is a sham when the necessary extra costs you cite are included.

Shame on u Intel.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
but....we are not even talking about a 5900x if you want to do that then lets compare it to a fx series CPU pointless.
The overall takeaway is AMDs 7800x3d is a games chip first and foremost so even comparing it to another CPU that is NOT is unfair, to then compare it to a chip that eats more power and generates more heat is also unfair, but to then claim a tie is outright dishonest, What I would like to see in all these tests is a running budget ie what does it cost to game/work on each system with identical components bar the mobo and cpu for an hour whats the actual KW cost per tier
Now the 5900x is pertinent? Ru sure u have time for this?

Reactions: Avro Arrow