News AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Drops Below $400: 12 Cores, 24 Threads

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Micro Center's price is amazing. I paid $50 more 2 months ago. There is nothing else comparable at that price.

I picked up a 3900X, Asrock X570m Pro4, 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM, and Noctua NH U12s (the Wraith Prism wasn't cooling the 3900X well enough for me). Everything has been running great! I love how I no longer notice when Windows decides to do some stupid thing in the background.

Reactions: Kridian

tiggers97

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
Micro Center's price is amazing. I paid $50 more 2 months ago. There is nothing else comparable at that price.

I picked up a 3900X, Asrock X570m Pro4, 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM, and Noctua NH U12s (the Wraith Prism wasn't cooling the 3900X well enough for me). Everything has been running great! I love how I no longer notice when Windows decides to do some stupid thing in the background.

I wish Frys could try and copy Microcenters model. Frys could downsize their stores, or rent out over half their current buildings as warehouse space if they had too. Make themselves relevant again. But something tells me they won't.

D

Deleted member 14196

we have 3 of them paired with 64GB ram, M.2 SSD. 2.5" SSD and 6tb HDD with 2060 video cards (don't ask me why we got gaming boxes) and they are FAST and wonderful

I'm a little angry a chip I paid 544$ for (tax included) that I biked 30+ Km to get because it was pick-up only at microcenter near me ended up dropping nearly 100$ (150 if you count the temporary price bubble due to popularity) only 6 months later. That and including being part of the early adopters who went through issues troubleshooting the BIOS issues.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy this chip so much - I have more horsepower than I know what to do with sometimes, but that price drop kind gave me a little stab in the heart since it's so sudden.

Is in-store only promotional pricing at a relatively small chain with only 25 stores really newsworthy? Most people in the US would need to drive hundreds of miles to get to a MicroCenter, at which point it is no longer particularly good pricing. >_> If you have to drive more than a half-hour to get there, you're probably better off spending the extra $20 to order online from some other store.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
@Newtonius

We all have this kind of stories.

I bought 64GB of high end DDR4 during it's peak. north of 1000$CAD
i also bought the intel 660p 1TB SSD at launch. now it's like 2-3 times cheaper

it always sucks to be an early adopter. Just wait for the dust to settle down and grab the good deals. For exemple the ryzen 1600AF / 2600 is quite a good deal now at 140$CAD.

oh and second hand market too. I just got an high end monitor from 10 years ago. samsung 245BW, 1920x1200 goodness. 60$ haha
or samsung odyssey+ VR HMD , at 250-300$CAD on second hand market, etc

inanition02

Distinguished
Microcenter is amazing if you live even remotely close to one - great deals (esp on packages - a month after the 3900 launched, they were running a 3900 + 570 mobo of your choice + pci-e 4.0 SSD package deal that saved a ton off MSRP of all components let alone inflated pricing).

Add that to helpful when needed (and very friendly to non-geek customers) and happy to leave you alone when not sales people, a wide array of selection on true geek items (maker kit, Pi, components, etc) and more non-geek items (Apple kit, TVs, consumer networking, laptops).

Winning formula for me.