News AMD Ryzen 9 3950X Outperforms Threadripper 2950X In Early Geekbench Listings

For me equal performance would have been acceptable.

Don't forget the Threadripper 2950X has a TDP of 180 watts.

The Ryzen 3950x will have a TDP of 105 watts, a 58% savings in power.

Having better performance/higher clock speeds is just icing on the cake.

Except the TDP drop is mostly due to a smaller process node AND half the memory channels. The 3950X still hits higher clocks due to this. One of the downsides to putting more components on the CPU die is it can increase TDP with lower clocks.

I would think in cases where memory bandwidth is more a requirement the 2950X will still perform better.

Except the TDP drop is mostly due to a smaller process node AND half the memory channels. The 3950X still hits higher clocks due to this. One of the downsides to putting more components on the CPU die is it can increase TDP with lower clocks.

I would think in cases where memory bandwidth is more a requirement the 2950X will still perform better.

I found some benchmarks on the following site using 12c/24t Threadripper 2920X and Ryzen 3900x

https://technical.city/en/cpu/Ryzen-Threadripper-2920X-vs-Ryzen-9-3900X

I was expecting Threadripper to win with Winrar due to memory bandwidth but being a single core benchmark was too much in Ryzen's favor.

Threadripper did win the TrueCrypt AES by a decent margin.

I found some benchmarks on the following site using 12c/24t Threadripper 2920X and Ryzen 3900x

https://technical.city/en/cpu/Ryzen-Threadripper-2920X-vs-Ryzen-9-3900X

I was expecting Threadripper to win with Winrar due to memory bandwidth but being a single core benchmark was too much in Ryzen's favor.

Threadripper did win the TrueCrypt AES by a decent margin.

It just goers to show that single core and clock speed matter more in most consumer applications than memory benchmarks. However I would love to see encoding. With almost 2x the memory bandwidth I can imagine it would help especially if the program also takes advantage of more memory.