[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 9 5950x stuck at 4.0Ghz and I can't figure out why!

AndreRVieira

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
My ryzen 9 5950x it's stuck at 4.0Ghz and I can't figure out why!

This is happening both in Single Core Clocks and Multi Core Clocks. I'm using Cinebench R23 to test it, but I tried other benchmarks and the it kept giving me the same max clocks.

I don't really know where to look at when I dive deep into the Bios or Ryzen Master.

BIOS, drivers, everything is up to date.

I have DOCP Profile selected on 'EazyMode'and also selected on AI Overclock Tuner.

I tried 'EZ System Tuning' Normal and Optimal. Optimal gives me a bit higher clocks but it's still stuck at 4.0Ghz.

Tried to edit 'CPU Core Ratio' on AI Tuning Menu to 'Auto' and to '49'. But it doesn't change anything and when I get back to the BIOS the value is back to '40'.

Lastly I activated Precision Boost Overdrive on AMD Ryzen Master which allowed my Single Core Clocks to reach the 4.9Ghz but also overclocked my Multi Core Clocks to 4.3Ghz which makes the CPU temperature go a bit wild. It reachs 85º degree with 10 minutes on Cinebench R23. And I shouldn't need to activate PBO to achieve the expected clocks, specially because its considered overclocking and warns about warranty issues.

Check prints of BIOS Settings/ HW Monitor / Ryzen Master / Cinebench here: View: https://imgur.com/a/YAw3bIO

My system configuration:

GPU: Asus RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
RAM: G.Skill Kit 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3600MHz Ripjaws V CL16
Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Pro Gaming (Wi-Fi)
SSD 1: Corsair Force MP600 1TB Gen4 M.2 NVMe
SSD 2: Corsair Force MP600 1TB Gen4 M.2 NVMe
HDD 1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
Case: ATX Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
PSU: Corsair RM 850 (2019) 80+ Gold

Heeeeeelp!!

Solution
Rule Nr1: if you assume something is wrong, Reset BIOS to default state!!
Rule Nr2: don't "tweak" (or whatever), if you're not sure what that actually does.

5000 series CPU's perform almost optimal at default settings. Saying that, even experienced overclockers don't get more than about 6-8% more performance (if using "normal" cooling and keeping PC reasonably silent).
Rule Nr1: if you assume something is wrong, Reset BIOS to default state!!
Rule Nr2: don't "tweak" (or whatever), if you're not sure what that actually does.

5000 series CPU's perform almost optimal at default settings. Saying that, even experienced overclockers don't get more than about 6-8% more performance (if using "normal" cooling and keeping PC reasonably silent).

Solution