Amd ryzen laptops

otornroth

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
When are we going to see ryzen powered laptops. Id like to see one beacause im going to college soon and i need a good laptop to last me 3 years or more. Should i buy a laptop with i7 7500u now or wait for ryzen cpus in laptops. Am i fine for three years with a i7 7500u

Solution
K thanks would u reckon ill be fine with a i5 7200u if ill use it like 1 and a half years and upgrade to maybe a ryzen one or should i just go for the i7 7500u and keep it for those three years
The only difference is really 200-400 Mhz base/turbo clock. If the price difference is < $100, go for the i7. If it's more than that, forget it, just get the i5. Difference won't really be that noticeable.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
According to AMD it will happen later this year. Now Asus is already Using Ryzen desktop CPU's to power some of their new laptops and i think those should be out by the end of this summer.

According to AMD
Consumer notebook PC solutions
Ryzen™ Mobile APUs (codenamed “Raven Ridge”) integrate a 4-core, 8-thread “Zen”-based CPU and high-performance “Vega” graphics to deliver an expected 50 percent increase in CPU performance and over 40 percent better graphics performance, at half the power of its previous generation. Launching in the second half of 2017, Ryzen Mobile APUs are designed for premium 2-in-1s, ultraportables, and gaming form factors.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3199028/computers/asus-debuts-the-first-ever-ryzen-laptop-with-a-mobile-radeon-surprise-too.html
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/5/18/15657480/amd-ryzen-processors-laptops-apu-intel-chips-cores

otornroth

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017

Sry i dont need that, but i need the ones that are going in ultrabooks and such

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

Yes, is what I just said here: do you even read :D lol
Consumer notebook PC solutions
Ryzen™ Mobile APUs (codenamed “Raven Ridge”) integrate a 4-core, 8-thread “Zen”-based CPU and high-performance “Vega” graphics to deliver an expected 50 percent increase in CPU performance and over 40 percent better graphics performance, at half the power of its previous generation. Launching in the second half of 2017, Ryzen Mobile APUs are designed for premium 2-in-1s, ultraportables, and gaming form factors.

Those processors are for ALL CONSUMER NOTEBOOKS using the new Ryzen-based CPU's including the Dell's Ultrabooks (not sure about those getting Ryzen but if they are, they will be available after the same lunch date) and they will be Launching in the second half of 2017

otornroth

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017

I havent either :( but do u reckon ill be fine with a i7 7500u for three years

Yes, it will be fine for general laptop stuff - web browsing, mutlitasking, college stuff...

It will not excel at processor-intensive stuff, but that's to be expected.

I've had my Broadwell i7u for ~2 years now as a work laptop, and find it still has plenty of power.

otornroth

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017

K thanks would u reckon ill be fine with a i5 7200u if ill use it like 1 and a half years and upgrade to maybe a ryzen one or should i just go for the i7 7500u and keep it for those three years

The only difference is really 200-400 Mhz base/turbo clock. If the price difference is < $100, go for the i7. If it's more than that, forget it, just get the i5. Difference won't really be that noticeable.

Solution

otornroth

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017

Ok ill think ill upgrade in the future