AMD Ryzen Memory Limitations

Ricardo Nixon

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
Hey guys,
As you all know, AMD's new Ryzen CPUs have launched, and I recently heard about some new RAM limitations. I heard that people who buy Ryzen can't use RAM that is clocked lower than 2666mhz. Can someone confirm and tell me more about this?

Solution
Thats not the issue at all. Ryzen can use ram from 2133 mhz up to 3200 mhz stable, HOWEVER not all ram can reach that 3200mhz and many are stuck at 2666 mhz until BIOS updates are made.

It has to do with certain memory chips that were tested vs others that werent. So for example Corsair Vengeance LPX memory uses Samsung B-die memory and can be run up to 3200 mhz, but the identical LED version of that memory uses SK Hynix chips and those cannot run past 2666, for now.

BIOS updates are anticipated to fix this issue, but we don't know how soon they will show up.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Thats not the issue at all. Ryzen can use ram from 2133 mhz up to 3200 mhz stable, HOWEVER not all ram can reach that 3200mhz and many are stuck at 2666 mhz until BIOS updates are made.

It has to do with certain memory chips that were tested vs others that werent. So for example Corsair Vengeance LPX memory uses Samsung B-die memory and can be run up to 3200 mhz, but the identical LED version of that memory uses SK Hynix chips and those cannot run past 2666, for now.

BIOS updates are anticipated to fix this issue, but we don't know how soon they will show up.

Solution