News AMD Ryzen-Powered Raspberry Pi Rival Uses Radeon Vega Graphics

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 5, 2020
Too bad both devices are single channel. As such it's quite wasted potential on either. The Smach Z board (VERY similar just less I/Os) already had dual dim slots so why this can't have that is anyone's guess. And the icing on top has to be like most of these board manufacturers is not disclosing HDMI/DP specs of any kind.

Reactions: MeeLee and bit_user

MeeLee

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2014
Only interesting if the price is below $350.
It makes no sense buying it more expensive when you can get a full ryzen 3900x CPU, motherboard with cooler, and ram for $750, which may not have gpio pins, but has a whole lot of other stuff populating the board.

But considering that their older boards go for 340, I doubt we'll see any customer friendly prices on these!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It makes no sense buying it more expensive when you can get a full ryzen 3900x CPU, motherboard with cooler, and ram for $750, which may not have gpio pins, but has a whole lot of other stuff populating the board.
Depends on what you want it for. If size is a requirement, then you can't just buy a standard mobo and be done with it.

Also, their normal APUs don't support ECC memory, and it's not easy for a consumer to source a Ryzen Pro APU.

Furthermore, this board takes 12 V power and the APU is soldered down, which should result in better reliability.

But considering that their older boards go for 340, I doubt we'll see any customer friendly prices on these!
Right, because it's not a consumer product. They're an Industrial/Embedded PC maker. That also means that their products have much longer availability and support windows than consumer products.

With consumer boards, they're only offered for a couple years, and then you have to update, re-test, and re-certify any devices you build around them. I don't see anywhere they say how long these boards are offered, but it's often a period of at least 5 years.

MeeLee

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2014
I just want many CPU cores, running at low watts, and at a low price.
I also don't care about Windows, as I could run it on Linux; which by default supports it for more than 6 years.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I just want many CPU cores, running at low watts, and at a low price.
I also don't care about Windows, as I could run it on Linux; which by default supports it for more than 6 years.
That's entirely fair. I'm just trying to point out what this product is, which goes some ways towards understanding why it likely costs so much.